• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE-400 are great, what to buy next?

Alexium

I love my HE-400, have had them for 10 years. This is the original model - not 400i, 400S, or 4XX. They're great and I can't pick any specific flaw with them. But I have never heard the audiophile things that audiophiles always claim to hear in their multi-thousand dollar setups. I don't think HE-400 have particularly remarkable sound stage, instrument separation, or detail resolution.
I have also owned Sennheiser HD800 (not HD800S) but quickly sold them. I couldn't find anything that HD800 did better than HE-400, but they cost over twice as much and have clearly poor frequency response that I've had trouble correcting.
I would like to upgrade to headphones that are clearly better than HE-400. What models would you recommend for, say, below $1500? I have read a couple HE-560 v4 reviews, including the one from Amir, and it sounds like they're are better, but not sure if better enough to be a solid upgrade.
I'm not at all set on Hifiman or planars, all I care about is sound.

OP
A

Alexium

what do you look for in headphones
I don't know, that's the problem! I have never heard really good headphones (nor very good loudspeakers). Based on my experience with HD800, I will probably not like headphones that measure poorly. But it doesn't mean that all the good measuring models are equally good.

Also, I have extrapolated that open-back headphones have a distinct sound character, different from both closed-back and IEM, and that open headphones sound the best with a significant lead. But this is based only on limited experience.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried to equalize your He-400i to the Harman curve? It may change how you see (hear) them..
The Alternative and IMHO one of the best deal in all Hifi save the TCZ IEM... is the HifiMan HE6SEv2 via Adorama (Click here). Much has been said about these are often defective.. I bought it through Adorama and, yes, it was defective.. Sent it back to HiFIMan for less than $30.oo and a new one returned two days later, new and functioning. The best headphones I have had (I've had a few, some well over $1000.oo) , and if you look at the measurements by @Amir, one of the best: period. THD is so low as to match that of electronics... And then you EQ-it and you have one of the best sounding Headphones on the planet ...

P.S. The HE6Se, any version is a beast to drive. Requires powerful amplifier, one capable of at least 3 watts in low (<50 Ohms) impedance. I use this one
Drop-THX AAA-789 one of the best amplifier reviewed here hover around $250.oo .. Total is still less than your current $1500.oo for a SOTA (State Of The Art) Headphones Audio system

Peace.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I love my HE-400, have had them for 10 years. This is the original model - not 400i, 400S, or 4XX. They're great and I can't pick any specific flaw with them.
Why not keep using them ?

But I have never heard the audiophile things that audiophiles always claim to hear in their multi-thousand dollar setups.
The grass of the neighbors is always greener.
Audiophiles make the greatest claims.

Just enjoy what you have.
IMO the differences between the < 1k models and entry level models in reality are not nearly as great as they are made out to be by enthusiastic 'upgraders' that just bought the next best thing.
Above $ 300 the diminishing returns get smaller and smaller. More $ does not always equate to an equal increase in sound quality.
The biggest increase in sound quality is almost without any cost. It is called EQ.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After applying EQ, and in 'normal usage', I am unable to detect audible differences between my Sennheiser HD660s and HiFiMan/Drop HE-4XX. The HD660s are lighter and more comfortable than the HE-4XX (which are relatively heavy and bulky). On the other hand, I have fenestrated sheepskins pads on the HE-4XX which feel much nicer than the velour pads on the HD660s. If I had to choose between them, I would choose the HD600s. Conversely, I don't feel the need to rid myself of the HE-4XX - they are doing a fine job, after EQ, in the my lounge setup.

OP
A

Alexium

invest $50.oo in these
Wow, amazing! Order placed. I did want new IEMs as well, and I it's so fortunate that these are from China. Not that I'm a fan of chinese products, but they're available on Aliexpress with free shipping (if I were to order from Amazon I would have to pay around $100).
Thank you very much for this recommendation!

Have you tried to equalize your He-400i to the Harman curve?
I have not, because a) I have no way to measure them, and b) I don't feel they need EQ. Which is not to say they won't benefit from EQ, but with HD800 I clearly heard problems that needed addressing; not the case with HE-400.

dadregga

I love my HE-400, have had them for 10 years. This is the original model - not 400i, 400S, or 4XX. They're great and I can't pick any specific flaw with them. But I have never heard the audiophile things that audiophiles always claim to hear in their multi-thousand dollar setups. I don't think HE-400 have particularly remarkable sound stage, instrument separation, or detail resolution.
I have also owned Sennheiser HD800 (not HD800S) but quickly sold them. I couldn't find anything that HD800 did better than HE-400, but they cost over twice as much and have clearly poor frequency response that I've had trouble correcting.
I would like to upgrade to headphones that are clearly better than HE-400. What models would you recommend for, say, below $1500? I have read a couple HE-560 v4 reviews, including the one from Amir, and it sounds like they're are better, but not sure if better enough to be a solid upgrade.
I replaced my HiFiMans with Dan Clark Aeons several years back.

As good in every way, and better in build quality and ergonomics.

I won't go back to HiFiMan and I've found my level with headphones - no more upgrades.

12Many

I have one of the hifi man 400 series - not the cheapest ones - and they sound great. That being said, I got hooked on IEM, even though I did not like them before. Blessing 2 Dusk is a great one to start with for a mid priced set. Not saying it is better, just worth trying. I rarely use my 400's anymore. If you are love with planars, check out the Timeless IEM, although I like those less than the B2D.

Last edited:

oleg87

I don't think HE-400 have particularly remarkable sound stage, instrument separation, or detail resolution.
I've been utterly unimpressed by enough much-ballyhooed expensive cans that I consider that an indictment of subjectivist audiophile buzzwords, and not a particular model of headphone. Ultimately, past a few hundred bucks there's no meaningful relationship between price and performance in this hobby, and I would caution against dropping a lot of $ on anything based on audiophile hearsay that you can't test with your own ears or easily return.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I've had the whole Hifiman lineup up to the Arya except not the he-400 regular one (had the SE, XX, i). If you want a noticable upgrade I'd recommend what I'm listening to now, the Beyerdynamic T90, or if you can find a mint Sennheiser HD650 made in Ireland. I've had the Romanian made ones, and never wanted to keep one for myself like the mint Irish one I had with original pre-2011 pads still on it.
For the Hifiman lineup the Ananda is hard to beat, the HE6se is good if you don't mind the weight and don't plan doing equalizing with a big preamp reduction. O
n my Topping A90 in high gain mode with a -6db reduction I safely hit the end of the volume wheel on a pre-volume war recording. The Aria wasn't worth that kind of money, it's really nice and I wish all Hifimans had that fit and finish applied to them. It's good, just not $1300 good. Also the HE-560 is really good if you buy from Hifiman on eBay, they'll accept an offer for $155 on open box ones there (I've bought two at that price already). They have a deeper soundstage, and good details, the big win for those is equalizing the bass up and it's fun. You can do quite a bit with them, and not so hard to drive you have to melt down a credit card to power them.

Top Bottom