• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

Ecksbocks

I got these a couple of days ago. I'm very pleased with EXS coming from Fostex TH900 which needed intense EQ to sound some what balanced. These need some EQ as well, but not much. I'm kinda new to headphones and my preference is Genelec 8351 and the Edition XS translates well I believe. I drive them with DX3 Pro+.

I'm happy to say that it's big step up from closed cans, som much more enjoyable to listen to music, which wasn't the case with Th900.

Also I downloaded CanOpener, I think it's marvellous and will probably buy it when trial ends.

Attached my EQ settings, both for Fostex and Hifiman. Maybe those EQ curves don't say much since it's also a compensation for the CanOpener which changes the tonality quite a bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 22.55.20.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 22.55.20.png
    355.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 23.05.19.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 23.05.19.png
    382.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just slightly different sound for 3x the money.
To some folks it may be worth it to others it won't.
No way to tell how this will pan out in your case and other people's opinion may not apply to you.
When the headband is uncomfortable (pressing on the sides of the head) the better headband on the Arya (and Ananda) may be worth something.

antanast

Just slightly different sound for 3x the money.
To some folks it may be worth it to others it won't.
No way to tell how this will pan out in your case and other people's opinion may not apply to you.
Thanks. And with the Ananda's Stealth?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The XS has a bit better sub-bass extension.
All these hifiman have an upper treble peak which to some folks is just 'nice hyper detail' and to others is sharpness.
The XS and Ananda are very similar in this aspect.
XS sounded a lot like the Meze 109 except the latter had more comfort, nice build quality but had a bit sibilance. Otherwise very similar in sound.
You would need to go to Susvara to increase in sound quality.
Ananda and Arya are more of the same really. Small differences here and there that may be worth it to some people.

Adaboy4z

I'm really thinking of upgrading from the HE400se to the EXS to be my end game Headphone because that is High as I want to go in price. Has any one bought the B stock on Hifiman website? I wonder where are the flaws.

graxxus

I'm really thinking of upgrading from the HE400se to the EXS to be my end game Headphone because that is High as I want to go in price. Has any one bought the B stock on Hifiman website? I wonder where are the flaws.

I did. The box tamper seals were cut but otherwise they look new and sound lovely. Shipped/arrived quickly, well packed. Very happy to have saved the ~$70.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't on the other hand!
I have had not very good experience.
If the difference is $70 between that and Amazon , get one from Amazon , don't think twice.

ikd

The XS has a bit better sub-bass extension.
All these hifiman have an upper treble peak which to some folks is just 'nice hyper detail' and to others is sharpness.
The XS and Ananda are very similar in this aspect.
XS sounded a lot like the Meze 109 except the latter had more comfort, nice build quality but had a bit sibilance. Otherwise very similar in sound.
You would need to go to Susvara to increase in sound quality.
Ananda and Arya are more of the same really. Small differences here and there that may be worth it to some people.
How much better is XS than Sundara in your opinion? Like 20% better?

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How much better is XS than Sundara in your opinion? Like 20% better?
It's almost impossible to make that kind of statement. :)

My opinion is that very few people would think XS to be worse of the two. And it's noticeably different. When I bought it I was in the store to pick up the Sundara but went home with XS after listening to it for a few minutes, no competition. Only thing is that main reason might have been the bigger, and for my head more comfortable, ear cups. The listening experience was much more relaxing and spacious.

The price difference is so small that I think XS is a safe bet.

(I myself went with LCD-X after a few weeks with XS, but that's only because I noticed I got tired of all the detail and treble)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The treble peak is annoying in both the Sundara and XS. Fortunately this can be solved easily and without much cost.
I would prefer the XS over the Sundara but like the Sundara headband better.
XS is a bit more 'spacious' and the large pads are comfy but do not seal well on all heads.
The new hifiman headband is not really comfy for me. It has some pressure points on the side of my head.
An XS with the Sundara headband would be nice.
The Audeze are less fatiguing (upper midrange dip and lower treble) but a bit too heavy in weight.

arrow0309

Hi, I currently use this custom balanced cable with the Sundara (bought them grade B without any bundled cable):

Can I use it with the Ed. XS as well?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I currently use this custom balanced cable with the Sundara (bought them grade B without any bundled cable):

Can I use it with the Ed. XS as well?
Yup

khensu

Is this for real?

They appear to be selling the EXS brand new for $274.45, open box for $191.95. Seems hard to believe, and I’ve never heard of this site.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
If it looks to good to be true then ………………..

This is their About Us page Spelling mistakes, typeset issues and dubious grammar

Last edited:

Adaboy4z

Somafunk

Major Contributor
The entire website is fake

arnea

Hi! Wanted ask some advice on amp/DAC for XS.

Two weeks ago an idea came to me that I should get some proper headphones for enjoying the music. No previous experience with HiFi. Went into local HiFi shop and listened for bunch of phones in 300-500 euro range. Finally tried the XS-s. They seemed so big and ugly that I almost decided not to try them. They were so different from the rest. All the others sounded like headphones. But with XS I had a feeling that there are two living rooms hanging by my ears. I was astonished and after long testing session bought them. Wonderful phones, so happy about them.

I also bought the DAC that I used to test the phones - Zen Dac v2. Now, after reading this thread and bunch of others I'm not sure why the shop sold it to me. My understanding is that this amp/DAC is not suitable for XS at all.

My plan is to get new amp and/or DAC. So many options, so I would like to get some advice. I paid 175 euros for Zen, I hope to sell it at small loss and get something better instead. I'm in Europe and would like buy locally for guarantee - this limits the selection little bit. Right now, I'm looking at Fiio K7, Topping L30 II+E30 II and SMSL C200. There is also Topping DX3 Pro+ that is highly regarded, but apparently it has some issues with low impedance headphones. I also thought about getting just an amp for Zen Dac but decided not to go this route. I don't think that it's something special as DAC, it's design will not match the amp and I will end up paying more. I found a page where it was measured, but I'm unable to assess it's qualities as DAC: https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/ifi-zen-dac-v2-single.php#gsc.tab=0

Topping L30 II+E30 II and SMSL C200 are reviewed here and got very high marks. Fiio K7 is new, but I did find a page with it's measurements: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/fiio-k7/ I just learn reading those graphs and understand what values are good. Fiio K7 seems good, but not excellent to me. Seems to be below the others. It's available locally and I can test it - that's why I'm considering it. Visually I like SMSL C200 most. Built-in power supply is also nice.

So, what is your recommendation to me?

Adaboy4z

Hi! Wanted ask some advice on amp/DAC for XS.

Two weeks ago an idea came to me that I should get some proper headphones for enjoying the music. No previous experience with HiFi. Went into local HiFi shop and listened for bunch of phones in 300-500 euro range. Finally tried the XS-s. They seemed so big and ugly that I almost decided not to try them. They were so different from the rest. All the others sounded like headphones. But with XS I had a feeling that there are two living rooms hanging by my ears. I was astonished and after long testing session bought them. Wonderful phones, so happy about them.

I also bought the DAC that I used to test the phones - Zen Dac v2. Now, after reading this thread and bunch of others I'm not sure why the shop sold it to me. My understanding is that this amp/DAC is not suitable for XS at all.

My plan is to get new amp and/or DAC. So many options, so I would like to get some advice. I paid 175 euros for Zen, I hope to sell it at small loss and get something better instead. I'm in Europe and would like buy locally for guarantee - this limits the selection little bit. Right now, I'm looking at Fiio K7, Topping L30 II+E30 II and SMSL C200. There is also Topping DX3 Pro+ that is highly regarded, but apparently it has some issues with low impedance headphones. I also thought about getting just an amp for Zen Dac but decided not to go this route. I don't think that it's something special as DAC, it's design will not match the amp and I will end up paying more. I found a page where it was measured, but I'm unable to assess it's qualities as DAC: https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/ifi-zen-dac-v2-single.php#gsc.tab=0

Topping L30 II+E30 II and SMSL C200 are reviewed here and got very high marks. Fiio K7 is new, but I did find a page with it's measurements: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/fiio-k7/ I just learn reading those graphs and understand what values are good. Fiio K7 seems good, but not excellent to me. Seems to be below the others. It's available locally and I can test it - that's why I'm considering it. Visually I like SMSL C200 most. Built-in power supply is also nice.

So, what is your recommendation to me?
If they sound good with the Zen Dac keep that setup. That's what we are all after. You found a good setup that "Sounds good to you".

Top Bottom