• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I bought two Dekoni pads, the Elite Hybrid and the Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin. Both have slow bouncing memory foam in them so they are softer and sculpt around my face better than the original pads. The original pads are very comfortable. Only when compared to the Dekoni pads the original feels a little stiff. The Edition XS doesn't sound as V shaped with the two Dekoni pads. The mids sound bigger. Perhaps the softer pads allow the driver to come closer to my ears. The bass on any of these pads is good. The Fenestrated has the best timbre for me. I think the highs get attenuated a bit, or the mids get boosted so the highs feel smoother in contrast. The slightly prominent cymbals and sibilant are not as airy and shrill anymore. The Hybrid and the original hybrid pads have similar timbre. My skin generally prefer the feel of velour over that of leather, but the Fenestrated Sheepskin doesn't feel too bad, plus they sound better than the Hybrid, so they get to stay on my Edition XS.

Attachments

• 4808B30A-2116-4324-AD02-CE2276B06E43.jpeg
    4808B30A-2116-4324-AD02-CE2276B06E43.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 382
  • E118E735-3EB3-4CA6-9CB8-B06C5A9255F2.jpeg
    E118E735-3EB3-4CA6-9CB8-B06C5A9255F2.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

pk500

I bought two Dekoni pads, the Elite Hybrid and the Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin. Both have slow bouncing memory foam in them so they are softer and sculpt around my face better than the original pads. The original pads are very comfortable. Only when compared to the Dekoni pads the original feels a little stiff. The Edition XS doesn't sound as V shaped with the two Dekoni pads. The mids sound bigger. Perhaps the softer pads allow the driver to come closer to my ears. The bass on any of these pads is good. The Fenestrated has the best timbre for me. I think the highs get attenuated a bit, or the mids get boosted so the highs feel smoother in contrast. The slightly prominent cymbals and sibilant are not as airy and shrill anymore. The Hybrid and the original hybrid pads have similar timbre. My skin generally prefer the feel of velour over that of leather, but the Fenestrated Sheepskin doesn't feel too bad, plus they sound better than the Hybrid, so they get to stay on my Edition XS.
Fantastic feedback. Thanks, man!

dreamscene

Now that the hype is dying about this new release headphones with very wishy washy feedback flip flopping reviews and feedback, often from the same reviewer days apart or watching different videos from same reviewer, what is the general consensus? Rubbish build quality is a given, I think that part is understood, is it still a bit too over priced at $500 now that the hype is dying? Better headphones with better build and longevity, etc to recommend around the same price?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I am one of the early adaptors , got mine from China.
before XS, the Sundara was my day to day headphones.
I wanted an upgrade, so I got my hands on DCA original Aeons . it had good punchy bass and clean sound but tuning was way off.
So it went and I managed to get a pair of Focal Clears! it didn't last long and got sold on. Sennheiser HD660S was another mistake .
Then the XS came on the scenes , I got one, it was a keeper!
Are they fantastic ? best thing since sliced bread? of course not!
but so far I have not heard better.
Roll on CanJam , perhaps there I might.

Barry_G

Now that the hype is dying about this new release headphones with very wishy washy feedback flip flopping reviews and feedback, often from the same reviewer days apart or watching different videos from same reviewer, what is the general consensus? Rubbish build quality is a given, I think that part is understood, is it still a bit too over priced at $500 now that the hype is dying? Better headphones with better build and longevity, etc to recommend around the same price?

can't speak for "general", but consensus here is that XS presents a significant upgrade over Sundara (have them both) and they're not over-priced. I wouldn't term the build quality rubbish, although the Sundara form factor means they perch more securely on the head than the XS.

Last edited:

pk500

Where is the wishy-washy feedback? Sure, there are outliers of complaint, but the general consensus is that the XS are a step above the Sundara and punching pretty close to the Ananda. So, a $500 price point sounds about right.

I bought the Edition XS. They're better than my HD 6XX, which I also love. They're better overall than my Focal Elegia. They're considerably better than my HE-400se, which I also love. I'm pleased as punch with the XS.

The build quality is fine, as long as you don't abuse them. Anyone who buys a $500 headphone and tosses them around, drops them into a backpack without protection, etc., almost deserves to have the things fail. They're sensitive electronic instruments, not a Bic lighter.

Jukebox

Still nobody sending one to Amir for measurements/review?
Seems not so far....but it's a great headphone that generates a lot of attention, should be a matter of time, or at least hope so :)
I have Sundara for now but maybe will think for an upgrade

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still nobody sending one to Amir for measurements/review?
I am in London, so a little far from Amir.
Otherwise I would have loved for him to test my slightly Modded version, though it wouldn't have been much useful to other members.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
de.aliexpress.com

39.69US $ |V MOTA TDC Headset Tragen Fall Boxs Für Audeze LCD 2 LCD4 LCD3 LCD X LCD XC HiFiMAN HE 400i HE560 I Felsen Edition X V2 (Koffer)|box for|box boxbox case

I got one.
The EDX cups only fit perfectly if the cups are together in the centre. The case has a raised centre section, otherwise the sides of the case are too shallow.
My best fit:

View attachment 185788 View attachment 185789 View attachment 185790
I got my XS yesterday. And can confirm your findings - that case which is thought to work with the biggest HiFiMans is about 5 mm too slim for the XS. The 'trick' with removing the middle foam and using the cable space area is no good workaround. Neither do I like the original HiFiMan bag, which has absolutely nothing inside to either stabilize/protect the phones, nor any means to take care of cables. Disappointing...

Oh, so what about the XS...simply stunning. My new favourite. :)

odyo

can't speak for "general", but consensus here is that XS presents a significant upgrade over Sundara (have them both) and they're not over-priced. I wouldn't term the build quality rubbish, although the Sundara form factor means they perch more securely on the head than the XS.
After hearing Sundara i can confirm Ananda is a significant upgrade over Sundara and XS trade blows with Ananda or possibly even better than Ananda. XS seems to have better extension in bass and treble + more refined 3-4k although it may still need eq around 1.5k. Comfort should be an upgrade as well. I may compare them against Sundara and Ananda next week.

odyo

This is the specs of Zen Can i wonder if it can run XS well:
16ohm 1000mW 4V 250mA SE
16ohm 600mW 3V 200mA BAL
aaa.png

aaaa.png

Objectively, this is more than enough but i have doubts about the current capability of this amp. I assume SE output would be theoretically better to use ? Almost twice the power.

Leiker535

16ohm 1000mW 4V 250mA SE
16ohm 600mW 3V 200mA BAL

Objectively, this is more than enough but i have doubts about the current capability of this amp. I assume SE output would be theoretically better to use ? Almost twice the power.
I'm using mine on low gain on a Topping L30, I very much doubt it will underperfom on the Zen Can.

The only instance I ran into a volume bottleneck was with my Sonata HD pro, though I suspect it's because it isn't giving it the whole 2V due to the lower than average impedance of the HP.

pk500

The only instance I ran into a volume bottleneck was with my Sonata HD pro, though I suspect it's because it isn't giving it the whole 2V due to the lower than average impedance of the HP.
You may be able to overcome flaw in the automatic high-gain sensor of the Sonata HD Pro with the "jack trick." Buy a 3.5-mm to 3.5-mm jack and put the male end of the jack into the Sonata HD Pro first. Then plug the headphone cable into the female end of the jack.

That "tricks" the Sonata HD Pro into high gain.

odyo

I'm using mine on low gain on a Topping L30, I very much doubt it will underperfom on the Zen Can.

I don't even listen loud so it will be fine i think. In fact, i may not even differentiate the zen dac and zen can. Subjectivists likes to imagine things. In audio, our mind is just unreliable. Very unreliable.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
16ohm 1000mW 4V 250mA SE
16ohm 600mW 3V 200mA BAL
View attachment 191272
View attachment 191273

Where did you get those specs from? I think the SE and balanced is swapped round and possibly looks low on the voltages but I can only see down to 3ohm (edit 33ohm) on the product website

Last edited:

odyo

Where did you get those specs from? I think the SE and balanced is swapped round and possibly looks low on the voltages but I can only see down to 3ohm on the product website
I don't even remember. Ifi states different impedance numbers everywhere. I got it from either drop's website, manual or ifi's website. The SE output is saturated around 32 ohm 1600mw, BAL output saturated around 100 ohm 2w i guess. Seems like it's designed for high impedance headphones like 300 ohm Senny's. Output buffer is class a maybe that's limiting factor for low impedance headphones.

Now i checked it out. It's on drop's zen can signature page. Afaik signature is identical to normal zen can except xbass button does add some treble to 6xx.

16 ohm 600mW, 300 ohm 756mW. It's crazy.

cheapmessiah

I don't even remember. Ifi states different impedance numbers everywhere. I got it from either drop's website, manual or ifi's website. The SE output is saturated around 32 ohm 1600mw, BAL output saturated around 100 ohm 2w i guess. Seems like it's designed for high impedance headphones like 300 ohm Senny's. Output buffer is class a maybe that's limiting factor for low impedance headphones.

Now i checked it out. It's on drop's zen can signature page. Afaik signature is identical to normal zen can except xbass button does add some treble to 6xx.

16 ohm 600mW, 300 ohm 756mW. It's crazy.

Almost identical, 8 big caps are different, and suposedly better quality, on the signature, no idea if different values tho. The original zen can only had xbass as analog eq, but the PCB was designed for complete FR EQ modification if needed, so the signature models have some extra components to achieve the EQ profiles tuned for the specific headphones they are made for, but i believe none of those componets affect any other feature of the amp.

The thing with the power ratings IFI gives on their web is that they advertise 1,9w @ 64ohm, but amir measured 1,2w max power, at 32 ohm, but still we are talking 30% less, then if you go into all 3 of the signature models pages they all advertise different power outputs so, their info is more or less useless.

ngs428

I purchased my original XS from Hifiman's website and received my replacement from them. For those of you registering your replacement XS on the Hifiman website for warranty, the kind customer service lady at Hifiman stated this for what to enter on the website:

Hi there,

Please kindly note you can register with the new serial numbers and use your original order receipt. And you can take the day you received the replacement as the purchase date.
Thank you for your interest and support in HIFIMAN
Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Doreen

Top Bottom