• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the Ananda as well. It is "similar" but quite distinct, the largest difference being the bass which rolls off early on the Ananda but doesn't on the Edition XS or Arya Stealth. Also the Ananda is possibly a little more restrained, less sharp in the lower treble.

I find the Edition XS and Arya Stealth to be more similar to each other than either to the Ananda.
If you EQ the Ananda's bass, you get amazing detail and articulation there. It's like every song paint a different shape of bass in front of me and there is a minor gradations within. XS is pretty boring in comparison. One note and incompetent bass in my opinion. The addicting micro detail of Ananda is missing here i think. It's like an inflexible wood.
What XS lose in micro detail gains in macro detail and soundstage/imaging a little. Punchier treble, more distant and to the sides stage, a better imaging arc from left > front > right.
I personally like the XS more because it works better when i play games or watch movies but Ananda sound more interesting for music i think especially if you EQ.

tamask01

Hi guys.

So guys, a little BACKGROUND first:

I'd heard the Hifiman Edition X a looooooong time ago (prob 2016ish) and was really like... wow. But it was out of my [wallet's] league. Couple of years down and we're graced with the presence of the Massdrop x Hifiman Edition XX. I wanted to take a bite so bad - but then the availability, shipping times, duties and the mixed reviews didn't get my anywhere.

I was just strolling on AliExpress casually and lo and behold - saw the Hifiman Edition XS on AliExpress; just stumbled upon it. For $441ish, it really got me going and then I decided okay, I gotta get this now. Stealth magnets - thinner diaphragm - but most importantly, a price tag at less than $450!

Finally filled my cravings and ordered one off Hifigo. Maybe I could have waited for some reviews. But I knew I had to get one of the egg-shaped Hifimans now, enough is enough. So I bit the bullet - and I'm so glad that I did when I did.

I'm really - REALLY loving what I hear. Again, this may be quite subjective at this moment, but I'll throw in some initial impressions and details here with some photos. I don't see an Edition XS thread here so I'm going to put some info here.

I've read that this is [at the moment], a China-only edition, and will arrive in other markets soon - not sure how true this is.

HIFIMAN EDITION XS
[Impressions]

BUILD AND COMFORT:

Build quality is fine. Cups are plastic, they look okay, probably help keep the weight or the costs down, so I can understand the choice.

Good to see a more flexible swivel mechanism. It can be a bit flimsy, as a bit freely rotating a bit free shaking, but not too bad. Feels good to see the notched stepped cups extension slider. And this doesn't seem like the cheaper, scratchy implementation on the Sundaras.

The newer headband is well padded, and although a bit firm, it contours nicely with the head.

Weight distribution is good. Comfort could be just a tad bit better.

- EARPADS: Some misses on comfort could be because of the pads as they're a bit firm, and the fabric material on the pads that touch your ears/face may interact with facial hair. It gets a bit off after sometimes, so I've also ordered sheepskin earpads for these.

The cable is average - it's the same cable as the one with the HE-4XX. No great, but not terrible.

The yokes and the grills are the visible metal parts.

Drivers: dual-sided stealth magnets with yet, an even thinner diaphragm <<< (according to Hifiman).

SOUND:

Overall sound signature: I find them quite balanced. Passive damping is very good - can hear everything outside when not playing, which adds to a natural, speaker-like presentation to the sound. Non-fatiguing, laid back listening with nuances ever so pronounced. I'd say, a V tending towards a U curve, something like that - if that means anything.

Soundstage: As with most Hifimans, and better than the 4X0 series cans - the soundstage is good, with the vocals often taking the center spot. The soundstage, though not being huge, is quite big and tall as well as wide.

Mids: The mids are good - soft, relaxed sound overall with really inoffensive vocal delivery - not the best mids, but quite natural (to me) at that - I like the whole package. They're a bit laid back, but never too extreme at any point - almost never.

Treble: the treble extended - may get a bit hot, but nothing to seriously worry about. There's always a bit of a shine up there in Hifimans, but I don't find it too bothersome.

Bass: The bass and sub-bass regions are well textured and extended, and though not super punchy or dynamic, still present and satisfying. An owner suggests they go down to 10Hz, but I'm feeling more like 20Hz here. Still, with such large diaphragms, a wall of sound would be safe choice of words, and that translates most definitively in the lower frequencies.

Definition: How the highs are delivered definitely makes them rich and detailed - the airiness and definition is sound is there, well textured in the upper ranges - like I mentioned, the nuances are quite there in that region. They're not crazy detailed, but enough to spot out the ambient sounds in orchestral recordings.

Airiness: Definitely airy, and that really increases the scale of the sound - the headphones do attempt often to be forgotten and add immersion to it.

Imaging: Imaging is one of the stronger points here - I feel quite stellar. Top, bottom and wide, imaging is definitely attempting to be precise here or at least closer, with distinction and layers there.

Presentation: The L/R separation is quite nice and more than my other cans. This is the second of third pair of headphones that gives me the feeling of bookshelf speakers when I'm listening to them - the other two being the EMU Teak (open back modded) and the Focal Elex. I adore this kind of presentation where one can easily settle for headphones instead at those moments, and one doesn't miss their speakers as much. How I perceive this is that it requires low damping and more pronounced dynamics, both of which I can find in the Edition XS.

Music I listen to: Electronic (Trance, Deephouse, DNB, Trap etc.), occasional Orchestral, Jazz, OSTs etc. Preferably music with good bass and sub-bass.

WRAPPING UP:

At the price, it's definitely a step up from the 4X0 series and a reminiscent of the Edition X sound to me (which I adore).

It hits the final nail on my planar collection really well (400i, 4xx, Monolith M1060C) and I can say that it's the best of my bunch. I do have a Focal Elex, Senn H6XXs, EMU Teaks and other [inferior per me] cans. I can say the Edition XS sound thick and laid back (what I like about the EMU Teaks), and more open and airy than the Focal Elex, with an even better soundstage than the Focals (many know the Focals are a bit shy there).
I don't have the Focals with me at the moment (those were my previous endgame headphones), but it seems that the Edition XS may be ahead of them in many attributes, except perhaps not in dynamics and punchiness. But these do feel like my personal end-game with the Focal Elex giving me a complimenting flavor.

I am very happy with them, though I must state that this may or may not apply to you, as I have not heard the Ananda or the Arya or the Edition X V2 or any others up the line to compare, so I can't quite comment how this would sound for an owner of either of those previous ones. But these probably may be mid-tier endgame for some folks.

For the price, the range of Hifiman's egg-shaped headphones cult has now been made even more accessible to the masses, and it's a welcoming move! I can finally sleep well!

PS: I did a little disassembly for you to see the components better if it helps anyone.

EDIT: A couple of us early buyers are giving out there impressions (you can check head-fi, hifi-guides etc.) and so far, we're all a happy little bunch - just sayin...
Thanks for the review.
To listen to for extended periods of time, were the Edition XS fatigueing? E.g. were the trebles / high pitch sounds extremely sharp and punchy?
I use my headphones for everything from gaming to music to watch movies.

OP
mr.at

mr.at

Pawlakbest

Hello.
I have Edition XS for a week now and yesterday I found that audio from right cup was gone. Fortunately I found that 3,5 mm in adapter that came with them have too loose hole and when I moved the cables' 3,5mm jack a little, the sound was disappearing. I have my old DT990 and took the adapter from them which solved the issue. Today I found that sound was missing from my left cup. Problem was yet again the 3,5mm jack but this time on the cup. I switched the left and right channel jack and problem was solved. Switched back and problem was back. Not sure if its a problem with cable or connector on cup. Overall not a fun experience for a 1 week old heaphones. Now, should I send back the headphones and get a new pair? Or should I buy the new cable? I have trouble finding similar cable in my country(Poland), and with shipment from other countries it seems like 30$ which is not cheap. So I would prefer the return option as it's free. Unless that's not a problem with HiFiMan but headphones in general that have this type of connectors and I should just change the cable and carry on?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hello.
I have Edition XS for a week now and yesterday I found that audio from right cup was gone. Fortunately I found that 3,5 mm in adapter that came with them have too loose hole and when I moved the cables' 3,5mm jack a little, the sound was disappearing. I have my old DT990 and took the adapter from them which solved the issue. Today I found that sound was missing from my left cup. Problem was yet again the 3,5mm jack but this time on the cup. I switched the left and right channel jack and problem was solved. Switched back and problem was back. Not sure if its a problem with cable or connector on cup. Overall not a fun experience for a 1 week old heaphones. Now, should I send back the headphones and get a new pair? Or should I buy the new cable? I have trouble finding similar cable in my country(Poland), and with shipment from other countries it seems like 30$ which is not cheap. So I would prefer the return option as it's free. Unless that's not a problem with HiFiMan but headphones in general that have this type of connectors and I should just change the cable and carry on?
Hifiman Headphones suffer all from bad quality control.. even their most expensive headphones.

Especially the stuff that they sell as open box or during one of their many sales. Probably all returned/repaired/refurbished stuff.

Do both cups have the same volume? Hifiman stuff has often problems with that as well.

Pawlakbest

I bought it new from Amazon, seller was Amazon, it was not an open box but it was cheaper than in most shops in my country, but there was no 'sale' indicator. I measured volume with my Oneplus 7 Pro mic and this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.splendapps.decibel and this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamebasic.decibel app, though I don't know how accurate they are and if my measurement method was good, but left cup was about 2dB quieter than right cup, and it was fairly consistent between these apps though they measured different dB overall(one measured 35dB-37dB, other 43dB-45dB with the same sound). But I personally coundn't hear the volume difference between them.

Last edited:

oceansize

Forum Donor
Return th
I bought it new from Amazon, seller was Amazon, it was not an open box but it was cheaper than in most shops in my country, but there was no 'sale' indicator. I measured volume with my Oneplus 7 Pro mic and this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.splendapps.decibel and this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamebasic.decibel app, though I don't know how accurate they are and if my measurement method was good, but left cup was about 2dB quieter than right cup, and it was fairly consistent between these apps though they measured different dB overall(one measured 35dB-37dB, other 43dB-45dB with the same sound). But I personally coundn't hear the volume difference between them.
Return them for a replacement. Hopefully , your next pair will be fine.

mrbungle

Especially the stuff that they sell as open box or during one of their many sales. Probably all returned/repaired/refurbished stuff.
Citation needed.

Pawlakbest

2nd pair of headphones arived and I noticed that except from different QC issues, they came in different boxes. Anyone know which one is the newer revision? Both were bought on Amazon.
IMG_20220615_151717.jpg

OP
mr.at

mr.at

2nd pair of headphones arived and I noticed that except from different QC issues, they came in different boxes. Anyone know which one is the newer revision? Both were bought on Amazon.View attachment 212822
The right one with a bit cheaper packaging is the new one.

And please don't hesitate in sharing with us, the older and the new updated QC issues lol

cheapmessiah

Pawlakbest

So yeah, the right package came with new headphones and left is the old one. But orders for them are 10 days apart so I wasn't sure if new one is really new.
And please don't hesitate in sharing with us, the older and the new updated QC issues lol
So as I posted earlier I had audio issues with jacks both in adapter and headphones. New one also had problem with adapter, so again I used the one from my DT990. Fortunately no issues with jack on headphones, so for now the sound issues have been resolved. But new 'problems' arrived with new pair. There is a loud squeak when moving my headphones. No problem when I finally put them on my head, but still nothing that I was expecting from 500$ headphones. Here is comparison: old ones:
, new ones:
. Other 'problem' is that headband height adjustment is a lot looser than in my old ones. Hopefully in time they won't stop holding the height.
Show us the inside too!
Both boxes have the same interiors. You can easily find photos on the net.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Back down to £348 / 405€ in Europe.

Ooooh I’m tempted, but I’ve just spent my self imposed monthly pocket money allowance on a chord poly, bugger :(

DrFlimFlam

Can anyone tell me wtf is this?

I was testing the new setup and this rattling scared me.

It happens at -20 db or higher volume using a DX3 pro+ on low gain (6db), first always on the right driver and then on both, when testing low frequencies, in this case 30hz

windows volume 90% using usb
on dx3 pro: gain 6db, volume -20 db
on the page, volume 100%, 30hz. B0

Last edited:

LaL

shame that the uk is not in "europe" anymore so taxes would apply outside the uk

Amazon U.K. collects the VAT for each different E.U. country.
20% Vat taxes are included in this price - this will be slightly higher for some E.U. countries.
Amazon even collect the much smaller U.S. state sales tax for each different state, if you order From the U.S.

Last edited:

DrFlimFlam

Amazon U.K. collects the VAT for each different E.U. country.
20% Vat taxes are included in this price - this will be slightly higher for some E.U. countries.
Amazon even collect the much smaller U.S. state sales tax for each different state, if you order From the U.S.
do they collect also custom duty? Because when you import something, you must pay first custom duty's and then after adding the duty's percentage, sum the product price, to the duty's and then the shipping and then on that number, add the VAT.

So if they only collect the VAT, then some customs will stop the product to ask and extra payment for products that are required to pay custom duty's. For example, computer hardware is exempt from duty's but a pair of trousers would not for most of the countries. I don't know the situation in this case with the UK tbf

Edit: Ok, I just read it and UK products don't pay custom duty's to the EU, so you were right, it's a seamless transaction

Top Bottom