• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

ngs428

The edition XS is now available in the US direct from Hifiman.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys.

So guys, a little BACKGROUND first:

I'd heard the Hifiman Edition X a looooooong time ago (prob 2016ish) and was really like... wow. But it was out of my [wallet's] league. Couple of years down and we're graced with the presence of the Massdrop x Hifiman Edition XX. I wanted to take a bite so bad - but then the availability, shipping times, duties and the mixed reviews didn't get my anywhere.

I was just strolling on AliExpress casually and lo and behold - saw the Hifiman Edition XS on AliExpress; just stumbled upon it. For $441ish, it really got me going and then I decided okay, I gotta get this now. Stealth magnets - thinner diaphragm - but most importantly, a price tag at less than $450!

Finally filled my cravings and ordered one off Hifigo. Maybe I could have waited for some reviews. But I knew I had to get one of the egg-shaped Hifimans now, enough is enough. So I bit the bullet - and I'm so glad that I did when I did.

I'm really - REALLY loving what I hear. Again, this may be quite subjective at this moment, but I'll throw in some initial impressions and details here with some photos. I don't see an Edition XS thread here so I'm going to put some info here.

I've read that this is [at the moment], a China-only edition, and will arrive in other markets soon - not sure how true this is.

HIFIMAN EDITION XS
[Impressions]

BUILD AND COMFORT:

Build quality is fine. Cups are plastic, they look okay, probably help keep the weight or the costs down, so I can understand the choice.

Good to see a more flexible swivel mechanism. It can be a bit flimsy, as a bit freely rotating a bit free shaking, but not too bad. Feels good to see the notched stepped cups extension slider. And this doesn't seem like the cheaper, scratchy implementation on the Sundaras.

The newer headband is well padded, and although a bit firm, it contours nicely with the head.

Weight distribution is good. Comfort could be just a tad bit better.

- EARPADS: Some misses on comfort could be because of the pads as they're a bit firm, and the fabric material on the pads that touch your ears/face may interact with facial hair. It gets a bit off after sometimes, so I've also ordered sheepskin earpads for these.

The cable is average - it's the same cable as the one with the HE-4XX. No great, but not terrible.

The yokes and the grills are the visible metal parts.

Drivers: dual-sided stealth magnets with yet, an even thinner diaphragm <<< (according to Hifiman).

SOUND:

Overall sound signature: I find them quite balanced. Passive damping is very good - can hear everything outside when not playing, which adds to a natural, speaker-like presentation to the sound. Non-fatiguing, laid back listening with nuances ever so pronounced. I'd say, a V tending towards a U curve, something like that - if that means anything.

Soundstage: As with most Hifimans, and better than the 4X0 series cans - the soundstage is good, with the vocals often taking the center spot. The soundstage, though not being huge, is quite big and tall as well as wide.

Mids: The mids are good - soft, relaxed sound overall with really inoffensive vocal delivery - not the best mids, but quite natural (to me) at that - I like the whole package. They're a bit laid back, but never too extreme at any point - almost never.

Treble: the treble extended - may get a bit hot, but nothing to seriously worry about. There's always a bit of a shine up there in Hifimans, but I don't find it too bothersome.

Bass: The bass and sub-bass regions are well textured and extended, and though not super punchy or dynamic, still present and satisfying. An owner suggests they go down to 10Hz, but I'm feeling more like 20Hz here. Still, with such large diaphragms, a wall of sound would be safe choice of words, and that translates most definitively in the lower frequencies.

Definition: How the highs are delivered definitely makes them rich and detailed - the airiness and definition is sound is there, well textured in the upper ranges - like I mentioned, the nuances are quite there in that region. They're not crazy detailed, but enough to spot out the ambient sounds in orchestral recordings.

Airiness: Definitely airy, and that really increases the scale of the sound - the headphones do attempt often to be forgotten and add immersion to it.

Imaging: Imaging is one of the stronger points here - I feel quite stellar. Top, bottom and wide, imaging is definitely attempting to be precise here or at least closer, with distinction and layers there.

Presentation: The L/R separation is quite nice and more than my other cans. This is the second of third pair of headphones that gives me the feeling of bookshelf speakers when I'm listening to them - the other two being the EMU Teak (open back modded) and the Focal Elex. I adore this kind of presentation where one can easily settle for headphones instead at those moments, and one doesn't miss their speakers as much. How I perceive this is that it requires low damping and more pronounced dynamics, both of which I can find in the Edition XS.

Music I listen to: Electronic (Trance, Deephouse, DNB, Trap etc.), occasional Orchestral, Jazz, OSTs etc. Preferably music with good bass and sub-bass.

WRAPPING UP:

At the price, it's definitely a step up from the 4X0 series and a reminiscent of the Edition X sound to me (which I adore).

It hits the final nail on my planar collection really well (400i, 4xx, Monolith M1060C) and I can say that it's the best of my bunch. I do have a Focal Elex, Senn H6XXs, EMU Teaks and other [inferior per me] cans. I can say the Edition XS sound thick and laid back (what I like about the EMU Teaks), and more open and airy than the Focal Elex, with an even better soundstage than the Focals (many know the Focals are a bit shy there).
I don't have the Focals with me at the moment (those were my previous endgame headphones), but it seems that the Edition XS may be ahead of them in many attributes, except perhaps not in dynamics and punchiness. But these do feel like my personal end-game with the Focal Elex giving me a complimenting flavor.

I am very happy with them, though I must state that this may or may not apply to you, as I have not heard the Ananda or the Arya or the Edition X V2 or any others up the line to compare, so I can't quite comment how this would sound for an owner of either of those previous ones. But these probably may be mid-tier endgame for some folks.

For the price, the range of Hifiman's egg-shaped headphones cult has now been made even more accessible to the masses, and it's a welcoming move! I can finally sleep well!

PS: I did a little disassembly for you to see the components better if it helps anyone.

EDIT: A couple of us early buyers are giving out there impressions (you can check head-fi, hifi-guides etc.) and so far, we're all a happy little bunch - just sayin...
Here is my review on Head-fi.

Even a MOD page!
If anyone can relate to the Mod. it would be @mr.at , he's been in there.
BTW, you were right, the insert plate is Fibreglass.

OP
mr.at

mr.at

Here is my review on Head-fi.

Even a MOD page!
If anyone can relate to the Mod. it would be @mr.at , he's been in there.
BTW, you were right, the insert plate is Fibreglass.
Very interesting!

Nice review - and yeah that mod seems important to help with the metal grill ringing. I will try that! Thanks for the idea! Yeah, folks be careful while modding, but I think this mod is a fine solution to the grill metal bars ringing issues.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here, problem solved!
A soft piece of leather, a bit of double sided tape, that'll do it.
Steadier, non-slip, stays on my head without tightening the spring.

IMG_20220106_143405.jpg
IMG_20220106_143711.jpg
IMG_20220106_143411.jpg

I tidies up the leather at the sides after I took the pictures, looks neater now - just cosmetic.

OP
mr.at

mr.at

Video reviews coming in -

TL;DR: CheapAudioMan likes em. Says maybe his favs.

pk500

Finally got a pair of these babies, which I have lusted after since they debuted as a China-only product last year.

First impressions: The Edition XS fulfill the hype -- and then some. I'm beyond delighted with these after the first two hours of listening.

I'm happy to compare these to a few headphones outside of the HiFiMan line -- I've owned/own HD 560s, HD 6XX, Elegia, Meze 99 Classics, ATH-M40x, ATH-M50x -- I think it's probably best and most accurate to compare to the HiFiMan headphone that I own, the HE-400se.

I know the Sundara is the step just below the XS in the HiFiMan, but I've never owned or tried it. Decided to jump straight from HE-400se to XS after my recent purchase of the Elegia showed me how mid-fi can be a considerable jump over entry-fi.

The Edition XS basically take what's good in the HE-400se and elevate it about five times. And it takes the flaws of the 400se and fixes them.

All of these impressions are without EQ. I'm not a huge EQ guy, as I like the varying sound signatures of the cans in my collection (HE-400se, Elegia, HD 6XX).

First, the Edition XS bass. It's more controlled, punchy and present than in the HE-400se, which already has good, entry-level planar bass. There's no grain, spike or congestion in the treble so far, which can be a problem in some complex passages with the HE-400se. But the biggest difference in the basic sound signature between the HE-400se and the Edition XS are the mids -- they're far more defined and present in the Edition XS than in the HE-400se.

Other thoughts about the XS compared to the HE-400se ... Clarity? Better. Imaging? MUCH better. Soundstage? Considerably wider. Comfort. The same -- both are very comfortable, but the XS has even less clamping force. Good for my fat, bald dome.

I'm not an audiophile with decades of experience and a fat checkbook. I've been active in this wonderful hobby and with its cool people for about five years, and my finances finally have allowed me to graduate from entry-fi to mid-fi. But the Edition XS are the highest-quality all-arounders I've heard. The only headphone I've heard that's better is the Focal Stellia, and that's a $3,000 can.

There's just nothing in the XS' sound signature that offends my ears and brain in the slightest, which is rare since I'm very treble-sensitive and suffer from raging tinnitus. And there's a HELL of a lot in the sound signature that matches my idea of audio nirvana.

Time to compare the Edition XS to the other mid-fi can in my collection, the Elegia. Yes, the detail and some of the treble in the Elegia match or possibly exceed that in the XS. But the Elegia don't do bass or soundstage nearly as well as the XS. The Elegia are great for strings, classical, vocals, acoustic, piano jazz, bluegrass -- music that lives in the mids. But they're not so great for rock, alternative rock or metal.

So far, the Edition XS have been great with every genre, just like my HE-400se, which are THE definitive entry-level can, in my opinion. But the Edition XS are just significantly better at everything than the HE-400se.

Finally, I don't get the fuss about power requirements for the Edition XS. I'm driving them to ample volume on low gain of my JDS Atom+ stack. The dial is at about noon or 1 p.m. I'm sure more powerful amps would elicit even more fidelity, but I'm already in rapture at what I'm hearing.

The Edition XS may stop my headphone churn for a while. They're THAT good. I feel like I would need to pierce the four-figure spend range to get anything much better.

I'm so damn impressed -- and happy!

Feel free to toss any questions my way.

MrOtto

Are those three pin 2.5mm TRS to headphone, but only two wires from connector to planar? Can I use two pin 2.5mm TRS balanced cable L/R?

OP
mr.at

mr.at

Are those three pin 2.5mm TRS to headphone, but only two wires from connector to planar? Can I use two pin 2.5mm TRS balanced cable L/R?

They use 3.5mm to dual 3.5mm TRS connectors.

MrOtto

Ok, thanks. I'm considering buying one XLR to 2.5mm TRS balanced cable to use with my M1060C, but sadly they won't fit the Hifimans.

Regarding Monoprice M1060C, I had the chance to sample them vs. Sennheiser HD58X on my Gustard H16 amp, all outputs are active, and there are four different connectors on the front. I switched back and forth between HD58X connected to XLR, and M1060C connected to 6.25mm TRS unbalanced, and WOW, the vocal on the M1060C was so good, clear and distanced, like you were in the room, where as the sound in the HD58X felt more cramped up to your head, and not as clear as the M1060C where. I definitely noticed the "warmth" in the sound as they describe the Senneheiser headphones to have. I don't know if I liked it that much to be honest.

OP
mr.at

mr.at

Ok, thanks. I'm considering buying one XLR to 2.5mm TRS balanced cable to use with my M1060C, but sadly they won't fit the Hifimans.

Regarding Monoprice M1060C, I had the chance to sample them vs. Sennheiser HD58X on my Gustard H16 amp, all outputs are active, and there are four different connectors on the front. I switched back and forth between HD58X connected to XLR, and M1060C connected to 6.25mm TRS unbalanced, and WOW, the vocal on the M1060C was so good, clear and distanced, like you were in the room, where as the sound in the HD58X felt more cramped up to your head, and not as clear as the M1060C where. I definitely noticed the "warmth" in the sound as they describe the Senneheiser headphones to have. I don't know if I liked it that much to be honest.
Well most certainly the m1060c are great cans indeed. I just have an issue with the headband, which I already have planned to mod when I get the time. But they're great headphones, and the metal housing and drivers are really solid.

They're also very efficient for planars. I do like them very much. Best planar after my XS, and definitely a league above my 4xx and 400i.

OP
mr.at

mr.at

Yeah I know right - I too will have to haywire a balanced cable for my own monoliths, but at least I can use the same for my older he400is.
BTW - any idea on the cable here... you think the termination can be modded to balanced 4-pinXLR? You believe the 3.5mm termination may have 4 conductors? Cuz if it's three conductors down the cable after the split - then I think I will need a separate cable too.

MrOtto

For the M1060C stock cable, the 3.5mm TRS have shared ground combining ground wires from both planars. I don't know if the ground wire runs in a twin all the way from the joint to the 3.5mm TRS, in this case, you could just solder on a XLR plug.
My plan is to buy XLR to dual two pins 2.5mm TRS. 2.5mm female to 3.5 mm male adapter could make it work with Hifiman.
Some cables have different pinouts for the XLR,
I had to desolder and swap pin 1 and 4 on a XLR female to 2.5 mm four pin TRS adapter I bought for my Hidisz S9 and HD58X balanced cable. I had something probably was mono sound when I first tried the adapter. Seems like different headphones use different pinout for the balanced cable.

Last edited:
OP
mr.at

mr.at

For the M1060C stock cable, the 3.5mm TRS have shared ground combining ground wires from both planars. I don't know if the ground wire runs in a twin all the way from the joint to the 3.5mm TRS, in this case, you could just solder on a XLR plug.
My plan is to buy XLR to dual two pins 2.5mm TRS. 2.5mm female to 3.5 mm male adapter could make it work with Hifiman.
Some cables have different pinouts for the XLR,
I had to desolder and swap pin 1 and 4 on a XLR to female 2.5 mm four pin TRS adapter I bought for my Hidisz S9 and HD58X balanced cable. I had something probably was mono sound when I first tried the adapter. Seems like different headphones use different pinout for the balanced cable.
I see... I'll inquire into my monolith cable (one of the better stock cables I've seen though, surely). I've got a couple of connectors so I will be fine doing the 4.4 to 4pin etc cables.
Guess I'll see how many stock cables I can salvage for balanced, then just get separate cables for ones that don't work.

Starlorddude

Can anyone compare these to Sundara?
Im listening mostly Rock music, and just got sundara a few days ago and a bit annoyed how the drums sound, too crisp an just hurts my ears sometimes, guitar with sundara sounds amazing though.
Should I upgrade to XS?
Although im not a fan of plastic design ..

OP
mr.at

mr.at

Im listening mostly Rock music, and just got sundara a few days ago and a bit annoyed how the drums sound, too crisp an just hurts my ears sometimes, guitar with sundara sounds amazing though.
Should I upgrade to XS?
Ok now I haven't heard the Sundaras, but I have, the he400is, and the he4xx, both of which I like. I have the m1060c. Now that's quite a planar fleet.

I can easily and very confidently say that the larger Hifimans will almost always be a step up. Everything must overall be bigger.

That crispiness your hearing- I'm also someone who's easily shaken with too sharp highs. I have a Beyerdynamic which gives me fatigue cuz of the highs. Even the Focal Elex... can at times get too sharp. THESE... never do. Never. These are the most non-fatiguing cans I have. << EDIT: pk500 reminded me I have the 6XX - yeah that one is even less fatiguing, that's just never offensive.

The detail may not be there, as the driver distance is a bit more on the XS I think, compared to the Sundaras (maybe, just maybe not exactly Sundara level detail here, alst maybe not the DT1990 level detail - again, going on a hunch here), but the XS I turn up and up and up on the volume dial and they hardly ever give me any unbearable highs. As open as they are, the highs (and the sound in general) just escapes effortlessly outside the cups without it reach a pressure level within the earcup on your ears to hurt you. I've even had tinnitus in one ear of mine, hence why I can't even listen to closed backs anymore without them triggering it again, and the XS just doesn't do it. They're really inoffensive that way. I've pushed these headphones more than any other headphones I've owned, and at times, my amp starts giving up. So far, I've literally not been able to reach the ceiling here where they become piercing or fatiguing, and I reached a wall where it was just too loud for me (the whole of the volume). I think I'd probably damage my hearing on all scales than make out when the highs start being too much.

So, consider some loss in detail - just some. I think some folks - actually, all folks who have owned or tried the Sundara will tell you the XS is the next step up, and it's a no brainer. Also, the XS will do bass much better. It will have a much wider soundstage as well, simply cuz of the physics herein: larger driver, larger surface area, and even more open. Just one thing to consider here: they will need good amping, as the mids are a bit laid back, and will probably be more formidable with more power. I don't know if you EQ (I don't), but some folks do it to compensate. They're a bit laidback overall, which is something I personally am fine with.

I know why you may not be a fan of a plastic design. I used to be like that. That's why I got an EMU, have owned a VModa crossfade, been eyeing (no more though) the Master&Dynamic headphones. But trust me, the materials are good where they matter most: the earcup forks/yokes and inside the headband, too. In fact, I feel the yokes are even more solidly built and thicker metal than the Sundaras. The plastic is real good plastic - much better than I've seen on Hifimans before. Of course, the Sundara cups do give you some satisfaction with their metal build, but that I no longer consider a catch with good headphones. They're still light, feel fine - of course they're no Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics, and a larger diaphragm will ask for some more vigilance, but if you treat them well, I don't see much happening to them in a long time to come.

I'm saying all this to you know, considering the fact that my pair of the XS is going to be the last headphone I would have bought for many years in the future. It is my endgame, and I intend to keep using it for a long time. If nothing happens, who knows when I'll buy a new pair of headphones next. That should help instill some confidence in you on how much I've invested in them emotionally.

I'm still not selling these to you in any way - you could read around more on other platforms too to get some more opinions. I just wanted to put it out there for you. I'd think this would be a logical upgrade to the Sundara (in a similar way that I consider the Focal Elex to be against the HD6xx)

For the record, I have the 6xx, emu teak, focal elex, bd customer pro studio, 4xx, 4ooi, m1060c.

Last edited:

pk500

Agree on lack of fatigue with Edition XS. They're not the most non-fatiguing cans in my collection -- the HD 6XX still wears that crown -- but they're No. 2.

OP
mr.at

mr.at

Agree on lack of fatigue with Edition XS. They're not the most non-fatiguing cans in my collection -- the HD 6XX still wears that crown -- but they're No. 2.
Ah oh yeah... you're actually right! MAN the 6XX are getting lesser and lesser attention from me by the day - just makes me forget them so easily. I guess in resolution they've been really demoted so I often just forget about them. I guess I need to do some pad swaps on them to be reclaimed.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should I upgrade to XS?
first thing first! Sundara (I have them) and the XS are brothers, as plasticity as each other! Sundara has Alu cups and metal mesh grills, XS has same Alu cups and grills. Sundara does not have a subchasis , XS does.
The yokes and headbands has equal amounts of metal and plastic as each other.
As for the sound, XS is a step up as @mr.at has mentioned.
Tonally they are similar, but XS has more deep bass and resolution .
that sums it up.
btw , I love my Sundara's .

pk500

Ah oh yeah... you're actually right! MAN the 6XX are getting lesser and lesser attention from me by the day - just makes me forget them so easily. I guess in resolution they've been really demoted so I often just forget about them. I guess I need to do some pad swaps on them to be reclaimed.
The 6XX are the cans I reach for when I'm working and just want the music to surround me while I focus on tasks on my screen, not the notes in my ears. There's nothing in the 6XX sound that distracts yet I don't find it as gauzy or veiled as some. It's just the perfect chill can for my tinnitus-ravaged ears.

Top Bottom