• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Arya Review (headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 55 18.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 135 45.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 96 32.2%

• Total voters

Ntrax

Audio Company
With Type A NMD Custom Pads
IMG_20221030_154737-01.jpeg
IMG_20221030_154024-01.jpeg
IMG_20221030_160645-01.jpeg
FB_IMG_1660322607444.jpg

Lexxz

My SMSL CH9 amplifier will drive these banks: HiFiMan HE6se? any thoughts are welcome.

Blorg

My SMSL CH9 amplifier will drive these banks: HiFiMan HE6se? any thoughts are welcome.
SMSL SH-9 would be more than enough for the Arya Stealth which is only moderately hard to drive. It might be marginal for the HE6SE though, Hifiman recommend 2W@50Ω minimum and it doesn't seem it will meet that, Amir measured 1.4W @50Ω. It would certainly work, I can listen to them from a less powerful amp, but you might want more. By the numbers, the HE6SE V2 (50Ω / 83.5dB) needs over 10x the power of the Arya Stealth (32Ω / 94dB) for the same volume, it's a much harder to drive headphone. Like, about the hardest that exists.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just auditioned these Arya Stealths along with the HEKse, HEKV2, the Susvaras, the latest Sundara open backs and finally the Edition XS I already own. I had been naggingly curious about the entire HFM line for eons and I decided to go for broke with Amazon’s return policy.

I kept them all for two weeks. Never in my life have I felt more fear of my cats getting within five yards of my nightstand.

Anyways, the Susvaras were the easiest decision. They were resolving alright, and comfortable, but they were damn near impossible to drive—and the tuning was so maddening flat that I almost fell asleep. Major bass roll off, zero excitement for the rock genres I prefer. Attempts to add a bass shelf led my amp to clip. $6,000 in material and production costs were nowhere in sight. I sent them back first with a ton of FOMO off my shoulders for good.

For only a hundred bucks less cash, the Sundaras were so outperformed by the Edition XS in comfort, bass response, detail retrieval and soundstage that they went back next. I quickly became convinced that the oval pad models were far more up my alley—they sit on your head without touching your ears, making them almost immune to tonal placement variations and so damn comfortable without any sweat factor. I haven’t heard the HE6 models but I’m so sold on the oval pads that I likely never will.

So it came down to these Arya Stealths and the two HEK variations. The HEKse and Edition XS share the Stealth magnet with these Arya V3s, and are the newer models in their lineup—and I can see why they’re sticking with it. Compared to the V2, all of these others demonstrate considerably more detail.

However, the V2s were extraordinary headphones. To my ears they had the widest soundstage and the most sub bass out of the four, along with the most “laid back” sound signature. They were also the least fatiguing to me, I suspect due to their more attenuated treble/high-mids. But I assume it’s probably a combination of these muted higher frequencies along with the older magnet tech and thicker diaphragm that makes them the least detailed and exciting of the bunch. So they went back too.

I already use my Edition XS for travel, and although their build quality is bare bones, the frame is plastic and they lack the comfortable hammock under the headband, they are outstanding headphones for their price point—for any price point actually. Very detailed and fun, with an out-of-your-head soundstage and a tight, powerful bass. I’d love to see them reviewed on here.

It wasn’t my original intention, but I decided to keep both the Arya Stealth and the HEKse. The latter are just a shade bright and perhaps a bit more likely to cause fatigue, but otherwise their tuning is incredibly exciting right out of the box, their design is beautiful, they’re amazingly comfortable, their soundstage and low end were thrilling for my tastes, and I’ve never heard a faster or more detailed headphone in my life. And they’re awfully easy to drive. It wouldn’t surprise me if others felt they needed PEQ to elevate the bass and cut back the high mids a bit, but with the ASP bass I have on my amp, they hit hard and tight without any threat of breaking up.

But I have to say that these Arya Stealths are my favorite headphone of any I’ve tried. They cost a third of these HEKse flagships. Their design isn’t quite as dazzling, but it’s still very premium and solid. They’re also equally comfortable, and they are tons of fun to listen to. Zero fatigue factor but still plenty of crisp detail, and a palpably physical low end without PEQ. However I like a lot of bass—and the ASP bass on my amp offers all I need.

For the price, they give every other “flagship” I’ve tried a run for their money and offer a lot more fun—and in my view are extremely democratic in how they perform with every genre. I expect they’ll get the most mileage of all the others I own, because once I put them on I could have listened to them forever—and with their accessible sensitivity they do perfectly fine with either desktops or portables. I highly recommend them!

Lexxz

Arya Stealth and the HEKse
Arya Stealt so all the same Arya Stealth or Arya-Stealth Magnet Version. HEKse you mean HE1000se

tinytempo

I have ordered the Arya Stealth yesterday to complement my Sennheiser HD800S and Audeze LCD-XC (2021)... can't wait to see / hear how they perform. Is there already a EQ profile for them somewhere that I can start toying with?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there already a EQ profile for them somewhere that I can start toying with?
Based on the mesh in Amir's photo of the Arya, and on the measured sensitivity, the unit he reviewed was an Arya Stealth.
Ergo, you can use both Amir's PEQ, as well as the computer-generated PEQ based on his measurement.
There's also a measurement of the Arya Stealth on SSN, which you can turn into an EQ using WebPlotDigitizer and the AutoEQ Python script.

Blorg

I have ordered the Arya Stealth yesterday to complement my Sennheiser HD800S and Audeze LCD-XC (2021)... can't wait to see / hear how they perform. Is there already a EQ profile for them somewhere that I can start toying with?
Oratory1990 also has a good EQ to Harman for the Arya Stealth, it's what I use.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm a pro EQ guy but i think Arya SE is just better stock except some boost to bass for fun. Although it depends on genre too. Modern popular music can sound too bright. Wide Q around upper mids/lower treble will help that. Narrow Q is pointless because dips/peaks shift a lot. I don't like Oratory's EQ with this headphone. My Arya SE doesn't sound like his measurement on my head.

This is what i use:
Preamp: -8 dB
Filter: ON LSC Fc 60 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 0.6
# Filter: ON PK Fc 4200 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 1
# Filter: ON PK Fc 1800 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 1
# Filter: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 2
3db bass boost is constant. Sometimes i activate Zen Can's xbass too. This headphone have good bass. The rest of the EQ is depends if i'm listening modern bright music or my ears sensitive that day.

spede

Wanted to dig Arya V3 more but it was too bright, not sure why. Made high shelf filter to pull down treble after 5k ending -4db at 10khz but still felt my ears getting pierced and further drop made sound nerfed. Subjectively i find planar imaging somewhat more intense than dynamic drivers which may add up to sounding brighter.

Also stock bass was bit light, added more but not sure if i preferred it that way, did fine most of time but then could go sorta rumbling sounding.

Vijay_kumar74

I just auditioned these Arya Stealths along with the HEKse, HEKV2, the Susvaras, the latest Sundara open backs and finally the Edition XS I already own. I had been naggingly curious about the entire HFM line for eons and I decided to go for broke with Amazon’s return policy.

I kept them all for two weeks. Never in my life have I felt more fear of my cats getting within five yards of my nightstand.

Anyways, the Susvaras were the easiest decision. They were resolving alright, and comfortable, but they were damn near impossible to drive—and the tuning was so maddening flat that I almost fell asleep. Major bass roll off, zero excitement for the rock genres I prefer. Attempts to add a bass shelf led my amp to clip. $6,000 in material and production costs were nowhere in sight. I sent them back first with a ton of FOMO off my shoulders for good.

For only a hundred bucks less cash, the Sundaras were so outperformed by the Edition XS in comfort, bass response, detail retrieval and soundstage that they went back next. I quickly became convinced that the oval pad models were far more up my alley—they sit on your head without touching your ears, making them almost immune to tonal placement variations and so damn comfortable without any sweat factor. I haven’t heard the HE6 models but I’m so sold on the oval pads that I likely never will.

So it came down to these Arya Stealths and the two HEK variations. The HEKse and Edition XS share the Stealth magnet with these Arya V3s, and are the newer models in their lineup—and I can see why they’re sticking with it. Compared to the V2, all of these others demonstrate considerably more detail.

However, the V2s were extraordinary headphones. To my ears they had the widest soundstage and the most sub bass out of the four, along with the most “laid back” sound signature. They were also the least fatiguing to me, I suspect due to their more attenuated treble/high-mids. But I assume it’s probably a combination of these muted higher frequencies along with the older magnet tech and thicker diaphragm that makes them the least detailed and exciting of the bunch. So they went back too.

I already use my Edition XS for travel, and although their build quality is bare bones, the frame is plastic and they lack the comfortable hammock under the headband, they are outstanding headphones for their price point—for any price point actually. Very detailed and fun, with an out-of-your-head soundstage and a tight, powerful bass. I’d love to see them reviewed on here.

It wasn’t my original intention, but I decided to keep both the Arya Stealth and the HEKse. The latter are just a shade bright and perhaps a bit more likely to cause fatigue, but otherwise their tuning is incredibly exciting right out of the box, their design is beautiful, they’re amazingly comfortable, their soundstage and low end were thrilling for my tastes, and I’ve never heard a faster or more detailed headphone in my life. And they’re awfully easy to drive. It wouldn’t surprise me if others felt they needed PEQ to elevate the bass and cut back the high mids a bit, but with the ASP bass I have on my amp, they hit hard and tight without any threat of breaking up.

But I have to say that these Arya Stealths are my favorite headphone of any I’ve tried. They cost a third of these HEKse flagships. Their design isn’t quite as dazzling, but it’s still very premium and solid. They’re also equally comfortable, and they are tons of fun to listen to. Zero fatigue factor but still plenty of crisp detail, and a palpably physical low end without PEQ. However I like a lot of bass—and the ASP bass on my amp offers all I need.

For the price, they give every other “flagship” I’ve tried a run for their money and offer a lot more fun—and in my view are extremely democratic in how they perform with every genre. I expect they’ll get the most mileage of all the others I own, because once I put them on I could have listened to them forever—and with their accessible sensitivity they do perfectly fine with either desktops or portables. I highly recommend them!
What was the stack used? DAC and Amp?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way, for those interested, HiFiMan is releasing two new models this month—the Ananda Stealth and the HE1000V2 Stealth.

I’m very interested in hearing the HEKV2 Stealth. I have the HEKse, which is my favorite headphone other than the treble being a tad bright. The original HEKV2 was very compelling to me, but I felt the HEKse was more detailed. I’m hoping this new option offers the best features of both.

I’ve also attached the price sheet (in Euros).

toneseeker911

I got the Arya recently. I am hearing a boosted high treble, somewhere between 10K - 12K. The EQ that I've seen around here and from oratory1990 don't seem to tackle that region. Is this something normal with the headphone, or did I get a defective piece ? I do see the measurement graph here, but having a bit of trouble generating a CSV to try some AutoEq on it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
All Hifiman have this in a more or less similar fashion. It is not a defect. It is a feature which many perceive as 'detail'.
It is not shown in plots because above 8kHz those plots are inaccurate.
Simply add a treble peak filter section in that frequency band to the oratory one and remove the treble shelf he often uses.
This should give you an idea what to filter (Ananda and Sundara), sorry no Arya measurements yet.

sundara-vs-ananda.png

toneseeker911

All Hifiman have this in a more or less similar fashion. It is not a defect. It is a feature which many perceive as 'detail'.
It is not shown in plots because above 8kHz those plots are inaccurate.
Simply add a treble peak filter section in that frequency band to the oratory one and remove the treble shelf he often uses.
This should give you an idea what to filter (Ananda and Sundara), sorry no Arya measurements yet.

sundara-vs-ananda.png
Thanks. I think I was able to tame it where I can now really enjoy it. In case someone else also is sensitive to that range especially on female sibilance or cymbals, this is what worked for me. This is oratory1990 with Filter 10 done via listening and sweeping a para eq for the offending frequency. They are bright headphones, but in a good way now.

Rich (BB code):
Preamp: -5.5 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 73 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 0.9
Filter 2: ON LS Fc 105 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 230 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 650 Hz Gain 0.8 dB Q 3.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -2.1 dB Q 2.2
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 1850 Hz Gain 6.1 dB Q 0.9
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2950 Hz Gain -3.9 dB Q 2.5
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 4900 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 3.5
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 7900 Hz Gain -1.7 dB Q 5.0
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 11216 Hz Gain -3.49 dB Q 2.63

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I think I was able to tame it where I can now really enjoy it. In case someone else also is sensitive to that range especially on female sibilance or cymbals, this is what worked for me. This is oratory1990 with Filter 10 done via listening and sweeping a para eq for the offending frequency. They are bright headphones, but in a good way now.

Rich (BB code):
Preamp: -5.5 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 73 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 0.9
Filter 2: ON LS Fc 105 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 230 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 650 Hz Gain 0.8 dB Q 3.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -2.1 dB Q 2.2
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 1850 Hz Gain 6.1 dB Q 0.9
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2950 Hz Gain -3.9 dB Q 2.5
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 4900 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 3.5
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 7900 Hz Gain -1.7 dB Q 5.0
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 11216 Hz Gain -3.49 dB Q 2.63
I look forward to hearing the HE1000v2 Stealth, which is already available for sale in Germany—which hopefully will offer the detail of the HEKse minus the fatigue factor.

Top Bottom