• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Arya Review (headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 56 18.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 135 45.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 97 32.3%

• Total voters

Blorg

does this Arya Stealth pair well with Hifiman A90 Discrete?
I use it with the original A90, which is itself massive overkill. The Arya Stealth is not a very hard to drive headphone, it's substantially easier to drive than the Arya V2.

Hi guys, in some weeks i will get the hifiman arya v2, i don't have a high budged for dac/amp, i have seen these for my budged: Topping DX3 Pro+ and FiiO K5 Pro ESS, which one will perform better for my arya v2?? will be enought to squeeze the potential of this headphone?? thanks!
Either would probably be OK but I think I'd take the Topping DX3 Pro+ for the extra power. Arya Stealth is fine on the K5 Pro, I have both, but the Arya V2 requires 2.5x the power for the same volume, and if you use EQ, etc may want the extra headroom. The DX3 Pro+ also measures substantially better than at least the OG AKM K5 Pro.

Blorg

Currently I have a LCD2-C, I'm wondering if I'll be disappointed with the bass with the Arya?
The Arya actually has better bass extension. The bigger difference is in the upper mids, where Audeze are typically recessed, and so it is on the LCD-2C. I haven't heard the LCD-2C but have considered it, and the regular LCD-2. I suspect the Arya is going to sound a lot clearer and brighter and this maybe offsets the sense of bass. You can EQ in more bass, I add a Harman bass shelf. When EQing to the LCD-2C, it sounds comparatively, very muffled to me, but there is I think that sense of more bass due to the relative lack of upper mids. If coming from Audeze, it might take a while to get use to that- but again, there is always EQ, and if you used EQ with the LCD-2C, as many do, it might be a smoother transition.

The Arya has very competent bass, what it maybe lacks is a sense of punch or impact, the likes of the HE6SE V2 or Focal Clear, which I do have, are better for this, they "slam" better. Again, haven't heard the LCD-2C but I suspect it may be similar, this was the role I was looking at it for, but ended up filling with HE6SE V2 and Focal Clear. The LCD-2C may have more perceived impact than the Arya which is more diffuse, this is the impression I get from other reviews of it. It's a very good balance on the Arya though, it still has very present bass and isn't too diffuse or totally lacking impact (like the HD800S).

1664684335927.png

hooks

The Arya actually has better bass extension. The bigger difference is in the upper mids, where Audeze are typically recessed, and so it is on the LCD-2C. I haven't heard the LCD-2C but have considered it, and the regular LCD-2. I suspect the Arya is going to sound a lot clearer and brighter and this maybe offsets the sense of bass. You can EQ in more bass, I add a Harman bass shelf. When EQing to the LCD-2C, it sounds comparatively, very muffled to me, but there is I think that sense of more bass due to the relative lack of upper mids. If coming from Audeze, it might take a while to get use to that- but again, there is always EQ, and if you used EQ with the LCD-2C, as many do, it might be a smoother transition.

The Arya has very competent bass, what it maybe lacks is a sense of punch or impact, the likes of the HE6SE V2 or Focal Clear, which I do have, are better for this, they "slam" better. Again, haven't heard the LCD-2C but I suspect it may be similar, this was the role I was looking at it for, but ended up filling with HE6SE V2 and Focal Clear. The LCD-2C may have more perceived impact than the Arya which is more diffuse, this is the impression I get from other reviews of it. It's a very good balance on the Arya though, it still has very present bass and isn't too diffuse or totally lacking impact (like the HD800S).

View attachment 234477
I appreciate the response, So far I've got LCD2-C and Focal Elex and I'm thinking of getting an Arya, I'm considering getting an RME Adi 2 just so I can EQ from hardware instead of using EqualizerAPO, Since I've found audio enhancements causes latency in competitive gaming. I think based off your response I'll pick up the Arya.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning

View attachment 234477
If you wear 2C and Arya SE, close your eyes, turn on your amp and turn the volume up, where you end up in terms of loudness will be different so the perceived bass will be different as well. I assume you can just turn 2C volume up a lot before upper mids and treble bother you, at that point (considering equal loudness contour as well) 2C bass will slap.

On tone generator, i hear a distinct dip around 3600 and 8600hz. Can you check your Arya SE where dips are located on your headphone ? On Amir's measurements for example, it's at 4100hz but i hear a peak there instead. I wonder if it's related to headphone or our ear, ear canal length etc.

d4n69

I use it with the original A90, which is itself massive overkill. The Arya Stealth is not a very hard to drive headphone, it's substantially easier to drive than the Arya V2.

Either would probably be OK but I think I'd take the Topping DX3 Pro+ for the extra power. Arya Stealth is fine on the K5 Pro, I have both, but the Arya V2 requires 2.5x the power for the same volume, and if you use EQ, etc may want the extra headroom. The DX3 Pro+ also measures substantially better than at least the OG AKM K5 Pro.
Thanks, i just saw the Khadas Tone2 Pro, it would be a better option than both?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I wonder if it's related to headphone or our ear, ear canal length etc.

It is, and also absorbtion of skin. Measured FR, even with a standard antropomorphic fixture is just and approximation of an average complying to a specific and repeatable target. It has to do with 1/4 wavelength and pad thickness (around 20mm in general). Don't worry about sharp measured nulls (some measurements smooth it) at around that frequency and between 8kHz and 10kHz in specific fixtures. You should not EQ that.

There is a decent correlation between measurements and perceived FR but not 100%.
So.... 'exact' EQ to a specific measurement so it measures flat on that specific fixture is no guarantee it will be accurate on someone's head.
In the very least it can be closer towards a 'target' and thus yield a sizable improvement even when the result is not as perfect in reality as the measurements or calculations show.

odyo

It is, and also absorbtion of skin. Measured FR, even with a standard antropomorphic fixture is just and approximation of an average complying to a specific and repeatable target. It has to do with 1/4 wavelength and pad thickness (around 20mm in general). Don't worry about sharp measured nulls (some measurements smooth it) at around that frequency and between 8kHz and 10kHz in specific fixtures. You should not EQ that.

There is a decent correlation between measurements and perceived FR but not 100%.
So.... 'exact' EQ to a specific measurement so it measures flat on that specific fixture is no guarantee it will be accurate on someone's head.
In the very least it can be closer towards a 'target' and thus yield a sizable improvement even when the result is not as perfect in reality as the measurements or calculations show.
I checked tone generator with my DT 770 (i'm new to this tone generator stuff). I didn't hear peaks or dips in the treble. It felt smooth, flat. I only heard dip around 4k (3500khz to 4500khz, not null but it's recessed to my ear). On Arya SE, it's not smooth. I hear more ups and downs in the treble and upper mids. I guess this is the result of huge planar driver interaction ear/face.
Not necessarily aiming a target but leveling the treble. Do you think it's good to level that up by ear ?
I feel this is what Dan Clark meant with his talk about treble evenness. His meta material handles it i think.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the Tone2, the color wheel to control it will drive you mad eventually. There's no software to control the settings, and I had to keep the manual bookmarked to consult it everytime to change settings. It sounds great, the Audio Technica ADH1000x and Grado 325's were amazing to go gaming with. Accurate and it had plenty of power for both, but by the time you add the special balanced cables to get more power, there's better options in the price range. I'm using a Topping A90 now with a D10b balanced DAC, but even a used SMSL SP200 and D10b would be more fun since you can power just about anything. I have the Arya playing now and an HE6se as well and really prefer the He6se even with the EQ settings Amirm posted which I have loaded at the moment. It's nice, but the He6se has the wow factor for music I like.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I checked tone generator with my DT 770 (i'm new to this tone generator stuff). I didn't hear peaks or dips in the treble. It felt smooth, flat. I only heard dip around 4k (3500khz to 4500khz, not null but it's recessed to my ear). On Arya SE, it's not smooth. I hear more ups and downs in the treble and upper mids. I guess this is the result of huge planar driver interaction ear/face.
Not necessarily aiming a target but leveling the treble. Do you think it's good to level that up by ear ?
I feel this is what Dan Clark meant with his talk about treble evenness. His meta material handles it i think.

It is more difficult to hear dips than it is to hear peaks. That sharp null is related to the pad depth and measurement gear but also the driver and the front porting.
Because my fixture does not have a pinna it is a deeper null. When pinnae are in play this is 'spread' out into a wider dip.
It can be moved a bit in frequency when when pressing on the pads as well.

The dip is also affected by damping material on the inside and when removing the felt ring inside the cups so there is definitely some nulling going on which is not only related to pad depth.

I suspect Dan is on the right track. Changing the front load by routing sounds through little channels of varying length will have an effect.

The Stealth and Expanse both have a sealed front volume so one is closed and the Expanse is semi-open. The HD800 is fully open and the DT770 is semi closed but closer to closed but has front porting which planars don't have.

Blorg

It measures very well in terms of noise and distortion but it has much lower power comparatively, more like a dongle. Unbalanced, the Topping has 150x the power, 1,500mW vs 10mW into 32/333Ω. it's really very different league. Amir reviewed it here and didn't feel it had enough power for either of his over-ear headphones. I would pick one of the others for the Arya.

d4n69

It measures very well in terms of noise and distortion but it has much lower power comparatively, more like a dongle. Unbalanced, the Topping has 150x the power, 1,500mW vs 10mW into 32/333Ω. it's really very different league. Amir reviewed it here and didn't feel it had enough power for either of his over-ear headphones. I would pick one of the others for the Arya.
I've had the Tone2, the color wheel to control it will drive you mad eventually. There's no software to control the settings, and I had to keep the manual bookmarked to consult it everytime to change settings. It sounds great, the Audio Technica ADH1000x and Grado 325's were amazing to go gaming with. Accurate and it had plenty of power for both, but by the time you add the special balanced cables to get more power, there's better options in the price range. I'm using a Topping A90 now with a D10b balanced DAC, but even a used SMSL SP200 and D10b would be more fun since you can power just about anything. I have the Arya playing now and an HE6se as well and really prefer the He6se even with the EQ settings Amirm posted which I have loaded at the moment. It's nice, but the He6se has the wow factor for music I like.
thanks, i already bought a 4.4 balanced cable for the arya v2 and and for an iem, then with the balanced cable on the Khadas Tone2 Pro it will be fine?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
30 ohm is an easy load and 107dB/V means 5V is enough to drive it impressively loud (less than 1W) and even from 1V (phone output) it plays decently loud.
Balanced out for Tone 2 is 211mW(2.6Vrms)@32Ω

So... loud enough but quite a few dB short for impressively loud or Harman type bass boost while playing loud.
For 'normal' listening levels it is fine.

Bow_Wazoo

PS: burn-in is a myth born from human placebo and exploited by manufacturers to make their customers miss the return window.
Don't make a fool of yourself.
Here are a few sound samples on this topic

And short explanation from Beyerdynamic on why we can hear the difference after burn-in.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are a few sound samples on this topic

And short explanation from Beyerdynamic on why we can hear the difference after burn-in.

That mostly supports what Static is saying though. Burn-in is not really a driver related phenomenon, there sometimes is a change in the pads where it might seal to you better as they mould to your head better (as best explanation for how small changes in measurement could occur over time, say 100hrs), but most of it is a psychoacoustic phenomenon of just getting used to the sound - burning in your brain rather than the headphone. Burn-in doesn't really exist (in any significant form at least) beyond just getting used to the sound of your new headphone (a psychoacoustic phenomenon).

odyo

It is more difficult to hear dips than it is to hear peaks. That sharp null is related to the pad depth and measurement gear but also the driver and the front porting.
Because my fixture does not have a pinna it is a deeper null. When pinnae are in play this is 'spread' out into a wider dip.
It can be moved a bit in frequency when when pressing on the pads as well.

The dip is also affected by damping material on the inside and when removing the felt ring inside the cups so there is definitely some nulling going on which is not only related to pad depth.

I suspect Dan is on the right track. Changing the front load by routing sounds through little channels of varying length will have an effect.

The Stealth and Expanse both have a sealed front volume so one is closed and the Expanse is semi-open. The HD800 is fully open and the DT770 is semi closed but closer to closed but has front porting which planars don't have.
You are right. I just adjusted the headband so that it can have less clamping force and fatter earpads. Dip shifted to around 3830hz. With a more solid fit it drops down to 3700, 3600, 3500hz etc.

I can't notice peaks much because at this frequency the sound burns my ear too much so i can't point out decibel differences i can only say it's close but when there is a dip i can notice it easily because it can relieve my ear :) The dips i hear is this one 3500-3800hz area and the 8600hz area. Below 8k and above 9k is loud.

Blorg

thanks, i already bought a 4.4 balanced cable for the arya v2 and and for an iem, then with the balanced cable on the Khadas Tone2 Pro it will be fine?
If you already have it, try it. If you don't already have it, I wouldn't pick it and certainly not for the Arya V2 which needs 2.5x the power of the Arya Stealth. The Arya V2 is not an easy to drive headphone. Why not get the likes of the Topping DX3 Pro+ which has plenty of power?

okok

sound impressions are not surprisingly less than good

which means very very bad... every professor will tell you if it's loud enough it's proper driving, means the mobo is fine

hooks

View attachment 234477
If you wear 2C and Arya SE, close your eyes, turn on your amp and turn the volume up, where you end up in terms of loudness will be different so the perceived bass will be different as well. I assume you can just turn 2C volume up a lot before upper mids and treble bother you, at that point (considering equal loudness contour as well) 2C bass will slap.

On tone generator, i hear a distinct dip around 3600 and 8600hz. Can you check your Arya SE where dips are located on your headphone ? On Amir's measurements for example, it's at 4100hz but i hear a peak there instead. I wonder if it's related to headphone or our ear, ear canal length etc.

Arya Stealth arrived, My worries were for nothing, It has way more and better bass than the LCD2 Classic.

odyo

Arya Stealth arrived, My worries were for nothing, It has way more and better bass than the LCD2 Classic.
Yeah it definitely has plenty of bass and great extension with no worry of breaking the seal with hair or glasses.

Top Bottom