• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Ananda Review (headphone)

Ezees

Why would you want to? I get back in 2009 that might have been a thing for the HE6 but that’s at the other end of the scale to the Ananda.
I'm a tinkerer and experimenter, I can't help it ;). MOAR POWR...

Snoopy

Major Contributor
They are currently on sale for $699 with this voucher (Limited59) $674. On the hifiman homepage

For people from Europe , they ship from Poland. So no worries about import fees

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm a tinkerer and experimenter, I can't help it ;). MOAR POWR...

114dB/V @ 33ohm
Assume you want to blow out your ears @ 130dB SPL peaks all you need is 6.3V (1.2W)
To go as loud as one really needs to go under all circumstances (120dB peak SPL) is 2V = 120mW

One can reach this with a power amp that would need to be really low noise using a power amp that can reach 1W in 4ohm
To blow your brains out (130 dB SPL) you would need a power amp that can reach a whopping 10W in 4 ohm.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
114dB/V @ 33ohm
Assume you want to blow out your ears @ 130dB SPL peaks all you need is 6.3V (1.2W)
To go as loud as one really needs to go under all circumstances (120dB peak SPL) is 2V = 120mW

One can reach this with a power amp that would need to be really low noise using a power amp that can reach 1W in 4ohm
To blow your brains out (130 dB SPL) you would need a power amp that can reach a whopping 10W in 4 ohm.
I think perhaps he should do it, just for the benefit of science! :D

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At risk of stating the obvious, such experiments may end with destroying the driver(s).
Ha, I was thinking more along the lines of he could blow his ears out.....for the good of science, by virtue of no hearing equals no silly claims and no spreading of misinformation! But I'm joking of course, I wouldn't want anyone to actually blow their ears out!

Ezees

I did it already... I've got an Emotiva a-100 that I used before I got the Gustard h20. OFC I did have a passive pre and then a tube buffer/preamp in front of it though, both with a volume control. Has anyone driven theirs with a tube hybrid headamp? Which one(s)? and how did Ananda sound with it?

Ezees

Ha, I was thinking more along the lines of he could blow his ears out.....for the good of science, by virtue of no hearing equals no silly claims and no spreading of misinformation! But I'm joking of course, I wouldn't want anyone to actually blow their ears out!
P.S. Does your gear and your HPs sound similar, having most of it from mid-fi and EQing it all to one target? Is it all the same?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
P.S. Does your gear and your HPs sound similar, having most of it from mid-fi and EQing it all to one target? Is it all the same?
The term "mid-fi" shows your lack of understanding - was proven by research (Harman) that there is no correlation between headphone price and headphone quality, by all means spend thousands on the Abyss Diana and then try out different transparent DACS on them to see which sound best (joke of course, but something you personally would do given my impressions so far of you!). To answer your questions, no my headphones don't all sound the same when EQ'd to the same target, broad tonality is similar but soundstage and some parts of the frequency ranges come across slightly different, and some deliver bass with more clarity/detail than others. They're not the same, that's why I have favourites, my K702 & HD560s.

Ezees

The term "mid-fi" shows your lack of understanding - was proven by research (Harman) that there is no correlation between headphone price and headphone quality, by all means spend thousands on the Abyss Diana and then try out different transparent DACS on them to see which sound best (joke of course, but something you personally would do given my impressions so far of you!). To answer your questions, no my headphones don't all sound the same when EQ'd to the same target, broad tonality is similar but soundstage and some parts of the frequency ranges come across slightly different, and some deliver bass with more clarity/detail than others. They're not the same, that's why I have favourites, my K702 & HD560s.
Little you'd know of what I would or wouldn't do. OFC price doesn't totally dictate SQ but I can expect some SQ traits, roughly depending on what I'm willing to spend, though there are some that excel for less and others that fall short for more. I was merely going by the HPs in your profile, what is usually thought of as mid-fi. Doubt if I'd get Dianas, too rich for my blood - for right now....;)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Little you'd know of what I would or wouldn't do. OFC price doesn't totally dictate SQ but I can expect some SQ traits, roughly depending on what I'm willing to spend, though there are some that excel for less and others that fall short for more. I was merely going by the HPs in your profile, what is usually thought of as mid-fi. Doubt if I'd get Dianas, too rich for my blood - for right now....;)
I'm just guaging your approach & understanding (or lack thereof) from your posts. It don't matter, but do yourself a favour and don't obsess about DACS & amps as long as they have been measured on this site and have been shown to measure well......however do obsess about headphones and speakers, because that's where it matters, and of course EQ.

Ezees

I'm just guaging your approach & understanding (or lack thereof) from your posts. It don't matter, but do yourself a favour and don't obsess about DACS & amps as long as they have been measured on this site and have been shown to measure well......however do obsess about headphones and speakers, because that's where it matters, and of course EQ.
Obsession is usually past what is just and balanced, and can cause destruction. I prefer to and try to stay grounded and balanced as a philosophy. True that our approaches, understandings, and experiences may be different but still no less valid- to each his own. I've multiple decades in the audio hobby and do have my preferences. Happy listening, kind Sir...:cool:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Obsession is usually past what is just and balanced, and can cause destruction. I prefer to and try to stay grounded and balanced as a philosophy. True that our approaches, understandings, and experiences may be different but still no less valid- to each his own. I've multiple decades in the audio hobby and do have my preferences. Happy listening, kind Sir...:cool:
Pathetic to pick up on the word "obsession", it can mean focus or whatever, it's irrelevant. Sorry, no, both our points do not have to have equal validity, not sure what airy fairy world you live in...(the same one that impregnates your audio "life" by the looks of it). Happy listening indeed, but I'm done with our discussion, going nowhere.

Last edited:

Ezees

Pathetic to pick up on the word "obsession", it can mean focus or whatever, it's irrelevant. Sorry, no, both our points do not have to have equal validity, not sure what airy fairy world you live in...(the same one that impregnates your audio "life" by the looks of it). Happy listening indeed, but I'm done with our discussion, going nowhere.
Snark on then.... Haha you sound mad. Stay where you are. I wish you the best - in the real world, where people hear things differently and have different audio and listening experiences, not a closed off mid-fi bubble where things don't have the possibility of sounding better or being improved upon. Happy listening...

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Snark on then.... Haha you sound mad. Stay where you are. I wish you the best - in the real world, where people hear things differently and have different audio and listening experiences, not a closed off mid-fi bubble where things don't have the possibility of sounding better or being improved upon. Happy listening...
Happy Listening

Azathoth

Are planars large and exposed like this one sensitive to dust? About to snag a pair myself.

aandres_gm

Are planars large and exposed like this one sensitive to dust? About to snag a pair myself.
They have a mesh/fabric that covers both sides of the driver, so I think they should be ok, unless you use them in extreme conditions

Sharur

1631145248545.png

Is the response wiggliness the cause of the increased THD?

The Susvara is worse in that.
1631145289751.png

Paul_d

Trying to find DAC and Amplifier for Ananda.
Can someone help me with an advise, which to buy, not expensive but power up my Ananda on 100% ?
Its can be even combo, like EX5...

thanks.

Top Bottom