• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiFiBerry DAC2 HD - Anyone use it?

Gaspar74

I have one, too (actually Amir tested mine) and I don't get it, either.
from what I gather one has to solder a connector i believe to the two pin connector on the board. I think tihns is 5v in. not sure really. Can anyone confirm?

radix

Major Contributor

Gaspar74

In regards to all the power questions, the DAC+ Pro can be externally powered. The DAC2 HD is powered from the Pi.

Here's the docs on the DAC+ Pro: https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/hardware/dac-pro-external-power-supply/

From the DAC2 HD data sheet, the power connector (J1) is 5V from the Pi, not the other way around.

The DAC2 HD has a TI TPS65131, so it has its own power regulation.

Marc
Thank you. That’s what I thought actually. It’s to power a add on board I take it. I’ll experiment powering the Pi with the dac hd via linear supply I have compared to the standard pi power supply. Thanks for the feedback.

JRS

Major Contributor
I am long fan of the HiFiBery Dac+ Pro, it got me into playing with DACs and a lot more digital audio. Previously Vinyl and CD was preferred. Sure there are better but I do really like the separate Raspberry Pi setup with linear PSU etc. It's convenient, don't need to have a computer running - can control it from any phone/tablet/computer on the network.

I couldn't find much data on HiFiBerry's new offering the DAC 2 HD. Has anyone used it? Is it worth the $100 upgrade cost vs the $50 Dac+ Pro? Doesn't look like there is DSD support, not really a big deal.

Product info:
HiFiBerry announces the DAC2 HD
HiFiBerry DAC2 HD Product Page

Cool case too, might fit: STEEL CASE
In case no one else has mentioned it, there's a review here: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2021/02/measurements-hifiberry-dac2-hd-hat-for.html

radix

Major Contributor
Thank you. That’s what I thought actually. It’s to power a add on board I take it. I’ll experiment powering the Pi with the dac hd via linear supply I have compared to the standard pi power supply. Thanks for the feedback.

So you are looking at different 5V USB-C power supplies?

I would not expect to see a difference, but always useful to verify.

Actually, I believe if you do not use the USB-C power supply, you can provide 5V directly to J1 on the DAC2HD to power both the hat and the pi. This provides 5V to the expansion header, so should be OK to use. I'd double check this before trying.

Gaspar74

So you are looking at different 5V USB-C power supplies?

I would not expect to see a difference, but always useful to verify.

Actually, I believe if you do not use the USB-C power supply, you can provide 5V directly to J1 on the DAC2HD to power both the hat and the pi. This provides 5V to the expansion header, so should be OK to use. I'd double check this before trying.
I have a 5v Linear supply here I wasnt using at the moment. Im feeding 5v to the USB C power in of the Pi which inturn then feeds the Dac2 Hd. I was told the J1 is to provide 5v Output to seperate add on boards. Is this not true? @radix did you not just say above that J1 is 5v output?

radix

Major Contributor
I have a 5v Linear supply here I wasnt using at the moment. Im feeding 5v to the USB C power in of the Pi which inturn then feeds the Dac2 Hd. I was told the J1 is to provide 5v Output to seperate add on boards. Is this not true? @radix did you not just say above that J1 is 5v output?

My understanding, from the RP4 schematic, is the 5V line from USB connects direction to the expansion header pins 2, 4, and those connect directly the the DAC2 HD J1. That is, the expansion header directly passes the USB 5V input to the expansion header. So, you could either use the USB 5V power or the J1 connector. It is all simply one wire. Don't use both USB power and J1.

I verified with my MM that J1 connects directly to pins 2,4. If you look hard, you can see the traces too. I'm relying on the RP forums for using external power on the 4, I've not personally done it.

You can also see posts on the RP forums that power can come from the expansion header instead of USB.
- https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=248215&p=1515523

Marc

Top Bottom