• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifi Vintage DIY fair with pictures

DanielT

Major Contributor
I visited this fair yesterday!

DIY & Vintage meeting in Mölnlycke

Here is a short report.
When: 6 November 2021
Where:
City: Gothenburg

I took pictures myself BUT most were so damn blurred so I borrow pictures from this thread, taken by other participants.
Pictures taken from here:

It was very nice and fun. At least as fun to hang out with like-minded people as to hear good Hifi facilities/solutions. Rewarding to get inspiration and ideas. There was also a Hifi flea market at the fair.

The atmosphere was great and the attitude from those who demonstrated was relaxed and sometimes humorous. This can probably happen when there are no commercial forces involved. For example, a comment from one, when he demonstrated his DIY , said
"Unfortunately, it sounds a bit screaming (distortion) when I play high volume with certain songs, you get to stuff paper in your ears then"
:). It was said with a playful tone, nice with a bit of ironic self-distance though. By the way, at the fair a little drama, as usual. Missing cables,some electronics that broke (the day before the demonstration). The old ordinary in other words.It is like belonging to a Vintage DIY fair. Part of its charm. I think.:)
(most things worked, of course, perfectly and were really good)

If you have questions, feel free to ask them.

So enough waffle from my side here are the pictures:

First thanks to the organizer Björn. You get the highest marks for your way of arranging the fair. Thank you very much for your commitment!:D
IMG_4291 (1).jpg

ZLaL4yF (1).jpg

IMG_4261 (1).jpg

IMG_4263 (1).jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4269 (1).jpg

IMG_4270 (1).jpg

IMG_4271 (1).jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_4277 (1).jpg

IMG_4278 (1).jpg

IMG_4281 (1).jpg

IMG_4285 (1).jpg

IMG_4296.jpg

Incidentally, one of the best Hifi systems I have heard. Incredibly good sound. Incomparable. Here a video Mr. DIY Solhaga himself filmed.

Here Solhaga describes his new DIY speakers:

Edit: ....a little more
IMG_4312 (1).jpg

IMG_4316 (2).jpg

IMG_4317 (2).jpg

IMG_4292 (2).jpg

IMG_4293 (2).jpg

IMG_4286 (2).jpg

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Now I found some of my pictures that are good (or decent), although some of them are a bit blurred.I puts them in anyway.:)
IMG_20211106_163422 (1).jpg

IMG_20211106_153922 (1).jpg

SB drivers, element. SB is very popular in Sweden to DIY with. By the DIY, Samuel, own constructed and 3D printed waveguide.
IMG_20211106_153912 (1).jpg

IMG_20211106_153842 (1).jpg

IMG_20211106_120037 (1).jpg

IMG_20211106_120046 (1).jpg

IMG_20211106_140002 (1).jpg

IMG_20211106_120726 (1).jpg

IMG_20211106_153817 (1).jpg

IMG_20211106_120254 (1).jpg

IMG_20211106_120723 (1).jpg

IMG_20211106_125318 (1).jpg

Amplifier for Solhagas:

SALS? A! Solhaga's AMT Line Source (?) Absolutely
IMG_20211106_140009 (1).jpg

IMG_20211106_153821 (1).jpg

At last. Now I'm home again. Fetched at the fair my Fostex 600 power amp and receiver HK 330C. My friend who made a recap on them was also
att the fair so I took the opportunity to bring them home. Many thanks to you my friend for that job! . The speakers in the picture, JPW mini monitors are my mother's. I had them with me at the fair just to get sound in what I sold at the flea market. They are now returned to their rightful owner. So there were all the pictures.:)
IMG_20211107_093019 (1).jpg

IMG_20211107_093009 (1).jpg

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
There are a good few 'bake offs' in the UK where DIY minded blokes (very rarely a lady) get together, show off their audio gear and generally 'chew the fat.' Thanks for sharing the pictures and hope some of the 'sounds' you heard were good too.

Interesting to see a few slightly younger guys as well - over here it tends to be 50+ aged men who do these things ;)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
There are a good few 'bake offs' in the UK where DIY minded blokes (very rarely a lady) get together, show off their audio gear and generally 'chew the fat.' Thanks for sharing the pictures and hope some of the 'sounds' you heard were good too.

Interesting to see a few slightly younger guys as well - over here it tends to be 50+ aged men who do these things ;)
There were many really good DIY solutions at the fair.

There were some under 50 year at the fair. But otherwise, the regrowth in DIY is a bit meager. It used to be that it was more common with DIY,
it seems. That regarding two-channel Hifi, perhaps in home cinema, is still quite common
fix with acoustics in the cinema room and so on (a guess on my part, I do not do home cinema)?

You know this about DSJR but I write it for others who may not know it and read this thread:
It is possible to get really good "high end" sound/solution with DIY. It may not come as a surprise that in order to make a really good sound, it takes several years of experience, a lot of knowledge, measuring equipment, time and money (designed and developed yourself, not a DIY kit).But it all depends on what level you want to go to, be at.:)

If you want to try DIY, try DIY subwoofers. It's simpler, though not trivial, than full-range speakers. Stable. braced in box, sub driver with solid SPL,
sub driver elements with ability to pump air out of hell and ditto effect with the amplifier. Then you get far (although good sub drivers can cost a penny). You can get tips and advice regarding sub-fullrange integration here at ASR.:)

So this with the elderly. I post this as a tribute to the youth. Many young people DIY with fat subwoofers in their cars . Then in the future maybe they can end up on a forum like this and whine about "this youth. I'm just saying that" (not to say that you DSJR whine about the youth, but I can do it sometimes, may I admit. But I really dont care. They get to play, that's part of the youth. :) )

Rock on. Give them hell!

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
you might like these guys -- although I think that these are by invitation events. :)

etf19_121 by Holger Barske, on Flickr

etf18_036 by Holger Barske, on Flickr

etf18_044 by Holger Barske, on Flickr

This is my kinda fun ;)
It's probably not just only my kinda fun , many people like tubes and or big Horn, PA, or PA inspired speakers.:)

Nice, cool pictures, by the way.

This year there were not so many tubes in the rigs att the fair, but things probably up and down. Maybe there will be more tubes next time.

A horn, see picture, was at the fair yesterday. I do not really know what it is, TL, Voight? Some kind of horn-like construction. Some really fat Eminence PA drivers in them (if I remember correctly).They were .... yummy. He he.:) Good bass. Lots and lots of good bass.
IMG_4316 (2).jpg

IMG_4317 (2).jpg

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Then this with Hifi and sound. It is just fascinating every time I get to listen to a really capable Hifi system, for example Solhagas which was previously mentioned in the thread. Really with a lot of power, where the amplifiers are not driven into clipping at volume increase. Where there is not even a tendency for it plus low distortion speakers that can handle the effect they get, the transient peaks that come with the music in a carefree way. The ease with which it "breathes" is difficult to describe if you have not experienced it. I'm uploading the video again. Of course, that system should be listened to on IRL, but a little video is always something.:)

And how easy it is when you have such a system in mind to notice when the amplifier starts to be driven into the clipping/ when the speakers can not handle more power without starting to distort. Notice it clearly now when I test my bedroom vintage receiver HK 330C (2x30 W in 8 Ohm) together with speakers JPW P1, 8 Ohm, 89 dB 2.83 V / 1M in the living room.Fascinating. It is important to adjust the volume. Dist and or clipping comes earlier than I think before (I can of course only imagine that).:)

Solhagas may be a bit extreme, but Samuel's built with SB elements, it is simpler DIY (comparable to Solhagas that is), and they may fit in better in terms of size in a normal listening room. They were really good! :)

I think it's these elements that are in them:

SB SB26ADC-C000-4
SB SB15NBAC30-8
Satori WO24P-4

Samuel uses an active crossover filter. , or if there is a crossover in the digital world using miniDSP. Samuel mentioned that a professional acoustician had helped him with the design of a curved slit port (see picture). Apparently it helps to reduce distortion, deviations in frequency curve/respons and "blowing noise" that a traditional round BR port can cause (in case of poor construction).
IMG_4299 (2).jpg

IMG_4302 (2).jpg

Edit.
Ffound some more pictures which I took.

Tweeter with own 3d printed waveguide that Samuel fixed.
IMG_20211106_120809 (1).jpg

IMG_20211106_111207 (2).jpg

The horn speakers. Size of them was largely determined by space reasons regardning living/ listening room according to DIY. He likes bass so he would probably have wanted DiY bigger speaker. :) . The base in them was really good.I think.
IMG_20211106_162115 (1).jpg

Some small amplifier kit. 3 W.
IMG_20211106_115954.jpg

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
^^^ Ahh, the Korg NuTube :) That looks like Pete Millett's NuTube amp.

I've built a couple of Pete Millett's earlier hybrid low voltage "space charge" tube/ss headphone amp/line-level preamps.
I like them... :)
Exciting.:)

Maybe a little confusing with those boxes and the text. It says in Swedish:
In the boxes , 3 watt amplifier kit, for 5 euros:
Amplifier card
Battery holder
Volume potentiometer
Contacts
Plus some sweets (ie edible sweets)

Typically I missed buying a box. I was taking pictures like a fool instead.:facepalm:
Um ... sometimes you lose one, sometimes you win. ..all the same to me. The pleasure is to... ....:p

Buns were served ...

of course DIY buns.
cWZfjTb (2).jpg

I'm posting one of my favorite pictures.A picture where Sundbrigade, who by the way showed his DIY speakers in concrete at the fair, tests ....

IMG_4312 (1).jpg

...speaker cables.He conducts rigorous examinations to find out if his speaker cables are transparent, examination so they do not color the sound:
(best to add a smily so no one thinks he is really serious about it. Of course, it's just nonsense, mischief and fun on Soundbrigade's part. Joke to anyone who thinks they hear differences in sound when it comes to speaker cables :) )
ht_test.jpg

(he himself has published that picture online, so it is public)

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
With that, I hand over the courier roll, relay ..baton (or whatever it's called in English) to another country. Some pictures, reports from another country Vintage DIY fair would be fun to see.:)

Once again, many thanks to Björn who arranged the fair and to all participants who struggled to get their DIY projects done on time and drag the stuff back and forth. Without you, there would not have been a fair, thank you very much.:)

De sista entusiasterna
In the middle of roses and chlorophyll, in life's disciplined garden soil
We stand up with a tumultuous jump like the weed blasters
We are probably the last enthusiasts
Because if you gave in to the grief, no balloon was lifted with the basket
And no seagull was allowed to fly high above the masts
We are probably the last enthusiasts

Enthusiasts hit their heads in the poles (Well hey you!)
There is a mocking laugh from the prophet of woe ( ha ha ha)
A twist, a jerk and up the corks fly!
We want the last spasm, should be a spasm of enthusiasm

I did a translation of that song, it turned out that way. In any case you get the point. :)

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Kul ! :)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Now it's time again.:D

Date not quite nailed yet but probably:

DIY & Vintage meeting in Mölnlycke
When
: A Saturday in March (2022), probably the 12th
Hours: 10.00-18.00
Where: Sweden, city: Gothenburg (accommodation can, probably,be arranged).

More information, as well as registration will come soon.:)

It is Björn (not me) who arranges the event but I can answer general questions.
If you have any questions, send me a PM.

Björn/Highfive:
A theme previously announced is Tricolumns, flat speakers and 3-d printed speakers. Do you have any of this, then bring it!

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Time and place nailed.Welcome, I forward that greeting from the organizer Björn. :D

Hi enthusiasts
On Saturday, March 12, it's time for DIY & Vintage Meeting at Wendelsberg Folk High School
(Sweden, Mölnlycke)
Here you can see and listen to DIY and Vintage HiFi of the best class! We listen to one facility at a time.
Coffee, lunch and dinner will be available, so the stomach gets itss too!

At the meeting, we are in one and the same room all day and connect different speakers and amplifiers. We are in the Library, which is a slightly smaller room, with good acoustic properties.

Flea market in an adjoining room where you take HiFi and DIY gadgets that you no longer need and buy things that come to mind.

There are T-shirts to buy that are created by the artist and musician Evelina Viola in the music group Vintergatan. Organic cotton and environmentally friendly print. Black print on white background. Limited amount. You get the T-shirt at the meeting. The theme is DIY.

Here is the registration:

If you need to stay overnight, you can book accommodation at Wendelsbergs Hotel:

Edit:
Wondering if this is the musician who created the T-shirts? Hm, let me check it out:

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
This is what Björn is planning right now:

The meeting on March 12 will be experimental, where we test different speaker-amplifier combinations.Blind test also double blind!

Observe plans, as you know it takes a lot to get it right, so we'll see if it will happen BUT then I came up with this! There is something else we can do. I know a person who tested with the same CDs. A person who wondered if others would be just as "bad". A person who can bring some stuff to the meeting and:

This time with better Hifi stuff to listen to.... and more ears. He he.:cool:
..plus a multimeter with clamps and some sine test disc (with an even single tone) should be available so you can really check the bias. Note an idea! It is Björn who arranges the fair. I have to investigate with him too. It is possible that he thinks it is a waste of time to do that test. :)

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
These come at the fair (as far as I understand). :)

3d printed speaker.

Maybe not "High End" (of course Solhaga knows that too.... whatever it is "High End" , they will surely be good / sound good :)). But that is not the purpose of the DIY project. They are mostly intended as a fun project.

... if they are not fun then what is the point of DIY? :)

Edit:
..in any case compared to what Solhaga had in November last year:

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
There are many younger people also in diyaudio, but they don't go to this kind of meetings, they are less formal in their meetings and often intimidated by the arrogant "i know it all and you're stupid as fuck" attitude of the older generations. I'm not like that so they often come to me to talk about diyaudio, but others older people i know are not contacted by them because they always get bullied when asking stupid starter questions (like we all did when we started). The same online, they meet on their channels (discord, FB and so), not on this kind of fora because they feel intimidated (but they do read the fora).

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
You are a nice kind person. Thank you for being here.:)
In any case, they may well find people, fairs, online forums and so on that they like.:)

You have the section here att ASR where it is emphasized:

Audio Newbie/Beginner Technical Forum
Post thread
Have a technical audio question and want to know the definitive answer to it? Ask your questions here! No question is too trivial. So don't be shy.

I got scolded there by, for example, by PMA when he thought I asked for basic questions about transistors, but then I had to take him by the ear and remind him that the post was written on that part, section on ASR. :D

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Some good DIY efforts there... but one thing I noticed, I don't like the way these speakers are stacked, especially so close to that doorway;

1644812631800.png

;)

JSmith

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
:)Some good DIY efforts there... but one thing I noticed, I don't like the way these speakers are stacked, especially so close to that doorway;

View attachment 186513

;)

JSmith
I actually think nothing broke at the fair, but it was probably most lucky considering the stuff that was carried back and forth.:)
I think those white speakers,in the picture,were active, if I remember correctly and that the owner, at last,gave them away because the amplifier in them did not work.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
That fair was then held. Thanks to Highfive / Björn who arranged the event and to those who lined up with their DIY creations.

It turned out to be a really nice event. This time a little smaller in format. We were at the library at the folk high school.:)

I post pictures from the fair and my habit faithful, not the best sharpness on all photos. I also link to another forum where there are more pictures.
Ask if you have any questions.

The most fun was, as usual, to meet, socialize. There were different opinions about what was best. Personally, I preferred the vegetarian lasagna over the minced meat. Same thing about sound. Different points of view, and people think differently. Fortunately, otherwise the world would have been a boring place if everyone thought exactly the same. Note this was not a contest. The most important thing is that people have fun with their projects.:D

Highfive / Björn:
TL subwoofer. Good bass in it. He will use the speaker as a combo furniture / subwoofer in the future. Björn's DIY with tweeter t27 and bass KEF B200, and with passive radiator.
IMG_20220312_110610.jpg
IMG_20220312_110646.jpg
IMG_20220312_110622.jpg
IMG_20220312_163935.jpg
IMG_20220312_110658.jpg
IMG_20220312_154753 (2).jpg

Solhaga / Claes:
3-d printed test speakers in plastic. A construction Solhaga found online and tested. They will be rear speakers (for home theater I suspect). He also tested a cube shape speakers , print 3 d. Simpler amplifier that I thought he heard him say that he normally uses otherwise in his boat. Fascinating spread of the sound in the small speakers. It sounded the same no matter how I moved in the listening room (to a certain limit).The tweeter element is designed for maximum wide directivity.
The speakers that have a slotted gate are actually TL speakers. It may seem like a difficulty to get to bass with such a short pipe, but it appealed to Solhaga to try. I thought it was surprisingly good bass (considering the size of the power on the speaker box).:)

Here is Solhaga's own construction thread about the speakers:

IMG_20220312_110803.jpg

IMG_20220312_110807 (2).jpg

IMG_20220312_110818.jpg

IMG_20220312_120224.jpg

IMG_20220312_113119.jpg

IMG_20220312_132621.jpg

Soudbrigade / Magnus
Sounbrigade with mischievous test on projects. Two of these were used:

For those who want to know more about how they work, you can read here:

Of course, lots of discussion among the participants about them and acoustics, different types of design on materials, density on materials. Artistic aspects (combined paintings and speakers), hiding speakers using them and so on. Only the imagination that sets the limits.:) There was also talk of room acoustics and them because they are dipole speakers, the question is how far from the back wall you should place them ..... which is a matter of taste.:)
Soundbrigade used them together with a subwoofer.
IMG_20220312_132436.jpg
IMG_20220312_132436.jpg
IMG_20220312_120950.jpg
IMG_20220312_132436.jpg

IMG_20220312_132436.jpg
IMG_20220312_120950.jpg

IMG_20220312_120152 (2).jpg

Valvo / Matti:
Test with Faital Pro broadband elements in cardboard casting tubes and Dynaudio tweets. Operated with Nelson Pass amplifier if I remember correctly. Matti was not entirely happy with the sound himself, as he said. But it does not matter at all I think. The most important thing is to test and have fun. So I still say good job Matti. If you do nothing, it will be just that ... nothing, neither good nor bad.:)

IMG_20220312_144410 (2).jpg

IMG_20220312_121444 (2).jpg

IMG_20220312_143139 (2).jpg

IMG_20220312_143149 (2).jpg

A few miscellaneous things were shown. Some were for sale at the Hifi flea market.
IMG_20220312_120841 (2).jpg

IMG_20220312_121413 (2).jpg

IMG_20220312_120750.jpg

IMG_20220312_120206.jpg

IMG_20220312_152147 (2).jpg

I had planned to build something together with my tweeters, compression drivers but I ran out of time. It may be the next fair, which will probably be held in November.:)

More pictures:

Last edited:
Top Bottom