• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifi Setup max 2000 euro with upgrade path

Donnage

Heya everyone,

Looking to upgrade my current hifi system, with a max budget of 2000 euro's . I'd like there to be an upgrade path left, so that when I want to improve my sound I can do so with the gear I have. For example add DSP, subs etc. So I preferably don't want to buy a speaker now and sell it again next year for a better pair. This is also why I bought a iotavx sa3 for my previous setup, because I had an upgrade path with the iotavx PA3.

I switch music taste really often, so I'm looking for a real all rounder system.

I currently own a triangle borea br03 with iotavx sa3. I'll keep the triangles for my homegym, and i can use the SA3 for my "new setup", or sell it and get something new. The 2000 euro budget is excluding an amplifier if I'll keep the SA3.
Love the triangle's sound tbh, but just want more of everything.

My room is pretty small at around 190 square feet. I'll move in 1 to 2 years and want to be futureproof. I think my future livingroom won't be bigger than 350 square feet either.

I like a neutral sound with some warmth with a big soundstage. I want to hear the details in the music, but it doesn't need to be pushed forward. A speaker that performans musically but can also be used for more critical listening if you want to. Perhaps I'd like a warm speaker too, but haven't tried any yet. I however don't want the highs to be rolled off, but I definitely don't like bright speakers.

Currently I'm trying the elac unifi reference bookshelves. I really like the sound of these. I can hear more details than on my br03's, which I definitely see as an upgrade. And I love the overal sound signature. On higher volume's I feel that female vocals can be shouty at times though. But I could live with that. However I feel that the bass is really lacking in these for me. I could imagine that these would sound great with a well integrated sub. The thing is that I've never succesfully integrated a sub, I had one before and it just sounded boomy and got rid of it.

I'm also looking into the polk R200 and Buchardt S400 MKII/P300. Honestly the buchardt's are really my bias based on looks. I dig the minimalistic scandanavian style. But one reviewer pointed out that the Elac unifi reference outperformans the Buchardt S400 MKII in everything but bass. The elac's are 850 euro's here comared to 2000 for the mark II's, so that leaves enough headroom for a decent sub, and in the future I could add a second sub.

What do you guys think? Any other recommendations? How about adding Room correction? Since my room isn't treated. Been looking into DIRAC live too. I could run a intel NUC with dirac live and use it as a streamer too, or perhaps more convenient a mini dsp + seperate streamer, but this seems to be a lot more expensive. Honestly this all is giving me a headache ;p.

I want to enjoy this setup for years to come and easily add in upgrades or side grades.

mvnchies

I was basically in the same position before - but decided to go with active speakers instead... however,
for flexibility the Minidsp Flex sounds perfect for your usage. DAC and DSP in one box, can add subwoofer for integration. Can upgrade to a Dirac license for automated room EQ and integration. It measures quite well as can be seen on here, and looks quite nice and simple.

For speakers, well I'm not experienced enough to say but I really did like the ELAC Uni-Fi reference (UBR62) when I demoed those, after some EQ - if that's of any value. I preferred them to the Polk and the Buchardt S300 mk2 at least... :)

OP
D

Donnage

I was basically in the same position before - but decided to go with active speakers instead... however,
for flexibility the Minidsp Flex sounds perfect for your usage. DAC and DSP in one box, can add subwoofer for integration. Can upgrade to a Dirac license for automated room EQ and integration. It measures quite well as can be seen on here, and looks quite nice and simple.

For speakers, well I'm not experienced enough to say but I really did like the ELAC Uni-Fi reference (UBR62) when I demoed those, after some EQ - if that's of any value. I preferred them to the Polk and the Buchardt S300 mk2 at least... :)
Thanks! Actually was looking into the mini dsp flex as well! I was wondering though, could you also only use the DSP without the DAC? ( imagine i'd upgrade dac in future) or isn't that possible?

Also may I know which active speakers you've chosen? :)

mvnchies

Thanks! Actually was looking into the mini dsp flex as well! I was wondering though, could you also only use the DSP without the DAC? ( imagine i'd upgrade dac in future) or isn't that possible?

Also may I know which active speakers you've chosen? :)
You can, there is a digital version of the flex which outputs it to digital format instead. however, the DAC seems to be in the top tier performance bracket, so you may not see any benefits - unless you need specific features from a different DAC.

I went with Genelec 8330A with built in DSP and DAC, so that I could avoid having so many boxes in the living room :D
much prefer the clean look of only TV and speakers. no room to put anything more to be honest.

Top Bottom