• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIFI POWER CABLES - a thought

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We should try not to berate people, of course. The arguments do get overheated at times.

Right? The ignorant designers of my amps installed all kinds of huge capacitors and filtering in the supplies.
That's one of the Amir quotes I borrow all the time when I talk to "audiophiles" about power regenerators. I tell them your gear ALREADY HAS a power regenerator in it. It's called THE POWER SUPPLY, and it does a GREAT JOB.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's one of the Amir quotes I borrow all the time when I talk to "audiophiles" about power regenerators. I tell them your gear ALREADY HAS a power regenerator in it. It's called THE POWER SUPPLY, and it does a GREAT JOB.
I'm guessing to a lot of people the whole subject is rather hazy, at best. When I describe my work or hobbies I'm used to eyes glazing over ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
We should try not to berate people, of course. The arguments do get overheated at times.

Right? The ignorant designers of my amps installed all kinds of huge capacitors and filtering in the supplies.
Freaking Philistines, they are.

I use nothing but artisanal Leyden Jars in my power supplies. :cool:

NullPointer

Not at all. Please read my post again. they DO NOT make or sell high-end power cables. Even for their most expensive tens of thousands of USD devices, they offer basic power cables, even though they do offer and create their own higher end speaker and interconnects.
Luxman actually do make an upgraded power cable, the JPA-15000, not imported to the US but available on eBay/etc. from Japan.

Last edited:

AaronJ

One of the things I find interesting about cables is how many people are trying to sell them secondhand. I suppose it makes sense because for the most part every component has a power cable and interconnect, and every speaker has a cable. But the secondhand market is pretty bananas. On US Audio Mart cables make up the second largest category by a very wide margin (top category being speakers). Cables includes power cables, interconnects, speaker cables, and power conditioners. The amount of Shunyata gear is pretty staggering and so many people claim to be selling because they've moved up to an even higher model.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
One of the things I find interesting about cables is how many people are trying to sell them secondhand. I suppose it makes sense because for the most part every component has a power cable and interconnect, and every speaker has a cable. But the secondhand market is pretty bananas. On US Audio Mart cables make up the second largest category by a very wide margin (top category being speakers). Cables includes power cables, interconnects, speaker cables, and power conditioners. The amount of Shunyata gear is pretty staggering and so many people claim to be selling because they've moved up to an even higher model.
Talk about a bargain. Only 80% of retail price and already burned in for you.

roog

Forum Donor

I suspect that once hooked, the cable upgrade path is real for the purchaser, and that most repeat ‘box swappers’ suffer a similar fate constantly searching by ear for that ‘night and day’ uplift.

For me there is so much fun to be gained from trying to understand what is actually going on through science.

roog

Forum Donor
Another one that has just surfaced in my aging mind, I wonder how many enthusiastic cable swappers realise that the main stream UK internet service provider Virgin Media deliver their high speed internet to the home using a thinly copper coated steel coaxial cable?

Clearly now't wrong with steel when delivering your data over several miles.

Echolane

This cracks me up!
After the AC travels through untold miles of wire and numerous transformers, they think the last 4 feet makes a difference? What kind of drug induces such a fantasy? And where can I get some?
Excuse me, but I think that is the point, the last four feet. Because what comes Into that last four feet is dirty power. The power cord (presumably) cleans up some or all of the dirty electricity.

D

Deleted member 48726

Excuse me, but I think that is the point, the last four feet. Because what comes Into that last four feet is dirty power. The power cord (presumably) cleans up some or all of the dirty electricity.
It's just plain stupifying. Working on industrial installations where signals and myriads of supply and signal cables run miles to and from PLC IO boards and DC and AC supplies without issues.. But that's maybe why I'm here and not at GR Research.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:D

Beave

Major Contributor

And how would a power cord "clean up some or all of the dirty electricity?" And how would it even matter, as that "dirt electricity" goes into a component's AC to DC conversion circuitry?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And how would a power cord "clean up some or all of the dirty electricity?" And how would it even matter, as that "dirt electricity" goes into a component's AC to DC conversion circuitry?
I think he meant it sarcastically

Echolane

It's just plain stupifying. Working on industrial installations where signals and myriads of supply and signal cables run miles to and from PLC IO boards and DC and AC supplies without issues.. But that's maybe why I'm here and not at GR Research.
I did say presumably. In fact I put it in parentheses because I am clear that on this site it is universally assumed that everything labeled audiophile is snake oil.

Dismayed

I did say presumably. In fact I put it in parentheses because I am clear that on this site it is universally assumed that everything labeled audiophile is snake oil.
I read the comment as an extension of your comment on the magical last 4 feet. I doubt that anyone would read the comments and conclude that you believe in magical cables.

Beave

Major Contributor
I don't think presumably is the right word. Maybe allegedly would have been better.

Allegedly: used to convey that something is claimed to be the case or have taken place, although there is no proof.

D

Deleted member 48726

I know. Or assumed at least. ;)

Dismayed

Top Bottom