• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiFi or not HiFi? That is the question!

Larudakote

Hi from France!

One of my passions is to build speaker cabinet, for more than 40 years ; I was 14 when I made my first one in a shoe box, thanks to a car speaker I stolen from my father mess. Of course the idea to go further and build amplifier and active crossover (since 90') was obvious. But I just reached a "electronic enthusiast" status :)
Because I have worked 14 years at Fnac, I tested many amplifiers, sources, cables... that's the reason why I use basic electric wire from DIY store and I don't waste money for electronic stuff (but much more for speaker, of course).
My philosophy: you hear what you got, don't go see your neighbor ;)

Today my main setup use three UCD180 and one LM4780 amplifiers, feeded by MiniDSP NanoAVR HDA from HTPC source (speakers: Focal 10L6411, Davis 13KLV5MA and Audax TW025A20Mg).

Looking for new class D alternative to replace the LM4780 module, I browsed the web for a long time. Between Ice, Triptath and Infineon boards, I found here this technical review about TPA3255. This chip seems awesome but...

Apart from a scientist approach (I usually defend) the question is simple: do you think TPA3255 is HiFi amplifier?

Pierre

D

Deleted member 46664

First ... the TPA3255 is one heck of a nice chip. There are several amplifiers using it, some in "high end" products. The current favourite with that chip is the Aiyima A07, but there are others.

Now about DIY speakers ... YES... go for it.

Some of the things you'll want, other than woodworking tools...
Room EQ Wizard ... for testing and comparing
Win ISD ... for cabinet design help
XSim ... for crossover design help
(all free)

Also there are a ton of books and websites on the topic as well.
Speaker design isn't that hard, but there is a bit of a learning curve before you start.

OP
Larudakote

Larudakote

Thank you Douglas for your opinion about TPA3255.

But about "DIY speakers", you just did not read my introduction: "One of my passions is to build speaker cabinet [enclosure], for more than 40 years".
So I'm 56 years old today and I certainly made more than 30 pairs of different speakers cabinet ;)

Here is some of my creations ; the last photo is a 1990 setup with 3 Denon PMA 800 and my first DIY active crossover.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46664

But about "DIY speakers", you just did not read my introduction: "One of my passions is to build speaker cabinet [enclosure], for more than 40 years".

My apologies ... The sentence can be taken one of two ways ... either "I've always wanted to do this" or "I have been doing this"... I think I picked the wrong one. I see from the photos, you've been busy.

JayGilb

Major Contributor

So I'm 56 years old today and I certainly made more than 30 pairs of different speakers cabinet ;)

Here is some of my creations ; the last photo is a 1990 setup with 3 Denon PMA 800 and my first DIY active crossover.
Beautiful work. I like your color choice on the cabinets.

Welcome to ASR - Glad you found us !

OP
Larudakote

Larudakote

Happy Birthday - I think...
When I told you my english is not perfect: I should have wrote "nowadays"... because I was born the third of April :)
Thank you for welcoming and compliment. The paint I use now is from Hammerit : "métal martelé" (like old metal cabinet). Of course you have to apply at least two undercoat, the last in medium grey.

OP
Larudakote

Larudakote

First ... the TPA3255 is one heck of a nice chip. There are several amplifiers using it, some in "high end" products. The current favourite with that chip is the Aiyima A07, but there are others.
Is someone listened this board?
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003202600471.html
Apart from asymmetric input, what is the main difference between this one and 3E Audio board?

Carte-d-amplificateur-num-rique-TPA3255-2-0-panneau-d-affichage-num-rique-DC24-48v-forte.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hm, without some serious tests/measurements I would not buy any card, amp from China. The quality?

Cheap, but with problems:

Edit:
If you read some tests on amplifiers that Amir has done here, you will see that they do not only apply to amplifiers from China. In addition, there are also good amplifiers from China.:)

Here you can search:

Tip:
These usually sell good stuff. If you live in Europe, maybe they can be something for you?But maybe you live in France and already know them?: :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46664

A note of caution here ... below a certain price point you are more likely to get into the problems of counterfeit or re-labelled parts. This apparently includes a LOT of NE5532 chips, some of the larger capacitors and voltage regulators. I ran across a pair of fake ne5532s in my Aiyima A07 recently... (Edit: I fixed the problem by subbing in RC4558 chips from my own stock.)

Why anyone would counterfeit a 50 cent part is beyond me... but there it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Katji

Major Contributor
welcome :>

Looking for new class D alternative to replace the LM4780 module, I browsed the web for a long time. Between Ice, Triptath and Infineon boards, I found here this technical review about TPA3255. This chip seems awesome but...

Apart from a scientist approach (I usually defend) the question is simple: do you think TPA3255 is HiFi amplifier?
I am not sure of the definition but yes, it can be.
I suggest search the forum, you can read for <1 hour or for :) ... >2 hours...
...including some threads on Aiyima amplifiers.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
A note of caution here ... below a certain price point you are more likely to get into the problems of counterfeit or re-labelled parts. This apparently includes a LOT of NE5532 chips, some of the larger capacitors and voltage regulators. I ran across a pair of fake ne5532s in my Aiyima A07 recently...

Are they counterfeiting the parts or just erasing the label and relabeling ?

D

Deleted member 46664

In the case of the op-amps I would assume they are grinding the labels off and re-marking them. There have been more expensive chips where the whole thing is counterfeited and examining the die inside shows differences. Capacitors cover the whole spectrum... some are small caps in big cans, some are re-branded, some are completely fake parts.

I knew this was an issue when buying from AliBaba and other "shady" places... but until just recently I did not know how big it really is.

YouTube search : counterfeit electronic components

Anyway... I just wanted to toss that in as a cautionary note. I'll let you get back to the main topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Larudakote

Larudakote

If you read some tests on amplifiers that Amir has done here, you will see that they do not only apply to amplifiers from China. In addition, there are also good amplifiers from China. :)
Yes I saw it. That's the reason why I came here :)

But maybe you live in France and already know them?: :)
Exact! I know them* for a long time.
Finally, I will certainly buy them 3E Audio board tested by Amir. More expensive not so cheap but the symmetric input can be interesting in the future.
(*) one of my favorite french shop with www.e44.com (electronic components) and www.toutlehautparleur.com (loudspeakers). The three are complementary

Yes, as TDA7293 chip...
Edit: I just went to your blog, really interesting. Good job!

... which are often TDA7294 relabeled. And sometimes you just buy some blow up chip :confused:

I am not sure of the definition but yes, it can be.
My HiFi amp point of view: LM3886, TDA7293, Hypex UDC.
So, can we subjectively compare with TPA3255? (Amir shown it was technically awesome)

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yes I saw it. That's the reason why I came here :)

Exact! I know them* for a long time.
Finally, I will certainly buy them 3E Audio board tested by Amir. More expensive not so cheap but the symmetric input can be interesting in the future.
(*) one of my favorite french shop with www.e44.com (electronic components) and www.toutlehautparleur.com (loudspeakers). The three are complementary

Yes, as TDA7293 chip...
Edit: I just went to your blog, really interesting. Good job!

... which are often TDA7294 relabeled. And sometimes you just buy some blow up chip :confused:

My HiFi amp point of view: LM3886, TDA7293, Hypex UDC.
So, can we subjectively compare with TPA3255? (Amir shown it was technically awesome)
The ones you mention, TLHP, I have made some orders from them. Superb service, also personal service, fast delivery and well packed. I can really recommend them. They also have really good prices. That makes it even better.:)

OT:
Talk about different performances. Both amplifiers below come from Norway. Not exactly in the same price range, but "quite" close in terms of price but certainly not in terms of performance. Nowadays, I would NEVER buy an amplifier without first reading a seriously sensible test on the amp I am interested in. When buying a new amplifier, that is. A vintage, for example, receiver can with a little luck buy and sell for about the same price (sell if you are not satisfied). :)
A new amplifier loses value immediately, after purchase. Then at least I want to know that I'm buying something sensible.

"The amplifier in H95 is good as far as noise and distortion but nothing to write home about. Continuous power is very low for an amplifier costing $2000 however.

This is just a bad attempt all around."

"I am happy to recommend the Vera Audio P400/1000 stereo amplifier. Great to see a high power amplifier in our top 10 best amplifiers ever tested."

Last edited:
OP
Larudakote

Larudakote

Nowadays, I would NEVER buy an amplifier without first reading a seriously sensible test on the amp I am interested in.
If we talk about $2000, of course I agree! Note I will never* buy a $2000 amp :)
But here we talk about $35 board: it's more a waste of time than a financial issue...

(*) The most expensive I bought, in the 90's, was a Denon set: PMA1500 preamp and three PMA800 amp for my first (and only) active three way system. Thanks to ±40% refund... because I worked in the shop ;)

PS: a sad thought for the guys who bought Hegel H95!

DanielT

Major Contributor
Tips on another good, when I'm still running.:)
Cheaper than the ones I linked to earlier, but it seems really good.

".. costs US $ 349

Conclusions
It is abundantly clear that tons of great engineering has gone into the design of Topping PA5. It breaks all barriers as far as noise and distortion, not only in its own budget / desktop class, but way, way outside of that. If it had double the power, it would obsolete all of them and in a hurry! If it is, I would certainly use it in a desktop or secondary system. And even primary if you are not going to blast the volume with super inefficient speakers."

Top Bottom