• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiFi news vs Elipson test record comparison for measuring use

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need to set the "pink noise mode" in the RTA settings (or whatever it is called) to correct for the slope in pink noise test. I did the same thing the first time I did it! Re your sine sweep, did you record it then analyse it? Some promising correlation between the sine and white noise. I will have to compare all three myself.

Sorry, can't find "pink noise mode" in my version. Perhaps it is called something else.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't rely on that one. To measure it you need to do the proper test. This is vertical and horisontal resonance with the same cartridge and a 10g mass arm. The vertical resonance is 8,5 Hz. Calculation gives 8,2 Hz and fits well the the measured response (vertical). Lateral resonance is lower with the Akito arm since the moving mass in that direction is higher.

View attachment 92540
View attachment 92541

With the Moerch 4 g arm I get 10,2 Hz both directions. A rapid test with a pure signal gives peaking in the same ballpark.

View attachment 92542
So what do you think the peak on your plot is then? An error in the signal recorded onto the test record?
I admit I haven't designed or measures a transducer like this for over 40 years, but I designed plenty back then and what I wrote is correct for the trace you published earlier.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what do you think the peak on your plot is then? An error in the signal recorded onto the test record?
I admit I haven't designed or measures a transducer like this for over 40 years, but I designed plenty back then and what I wrote is correct for the trace you published earlier.

Test record flaws.

Below are fixed frequencies 20, 25, 30, 40, 60 and 80 Hz from side two of the Elipson test record. No sign of resonances down to 20 Hz.

Skärmavbild 2020-11-10 kl. 12.53.51.png

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Use RightMark audio analyser to plot wow&flutter spectre. Audacity do not have suffient resulution. Audacity has a nice wow-and-flutter plugin , so you do not need WFGUI
Capture.JPG

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I think this just reinforces my view regarding LPs and sound quality ;)
Yes, but the strange thing is that it sounds good anyway when I play old records on my Michell Gyro and ATOC9/MLII. The wow and flutter I can analyze (0.1% peak deviation- not DIN RMS that would be much lower) , and hear on a 3150Hz tone, is not noticed when I play music. I do not notice the inherent distortion 0.1-1% or rumble of -74dB. 0.4dB channel imbalance and -32dB channel separation is not a problem and still enjoyable

That tells me that judging the sound quality difference between a dac of -100dB S/N or -120 is a hopeless task and not really important if you just evaluate the sound quality, and do not put importance on the technical standard

a 50 year old record on a old turntable design

Top Bottom