• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiFi Berry DAC+ Pro Now with XLR

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
dac-pro-xlr-600x600-441x441.jpg

https://www.hifiberry.com/blog/go-symmetrical/

I just ordered one.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess Bryston will release a new unit based on this soon :)

punkriot

@watchnerd what are you impression regarding the XLR version? I just order one, as at this price point it was the only option to create Roon bridge that feeds active monitors.

FireLion

Did anyone test this? they have a direct usb add on now, so no need for the raspberry pi!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Did anyone test this? they have a direct usb add on now, so no need for the raspberry pi!
This one, in beta test at the moment? Documentation's sparse to say the least. Why is this better than using a Pi Zero to do the usb to i2s conversion at 1/5th the price?

Krunok

Major Contributor
This one, in beta test at the moment? Documentation's sparse to say the least. Why is this better than using a Pi Zero to do the usb to i2s conversion at 1/5th the price?

That card will present itself as an USB audio device when plugged to PC USB port. Not the case with Pi Zero.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
That card will present itself as an USB audio device when plugged to PC USB port. Not the case with Pi Zero.
You can configure the Pi Zero as a usb audio gadget and it'll appear as a UAC2 audio device to the PC. It'll even get its power over USB. On the Pi Zero the PC looks like a USB audio source. You can pass this direct to the i2s audio device, or do some processing in between, such as passing it through BruteFIR. The limitation is that audio gadget mode currently presents only one bit depth and sample rate to the PC. You have to unload the gadget module then reload with the new settings if you want to change, and the PC will see this as the audio device effectively being unplugged and plugged in again.

Krunok

Major Contributor
You can configure the Pi Zero as a usb audio gadget and it'll appear as a UAC2 audio device to the PC. It'll even get its power over USB. On the Pi Zero the PC looks like a USB audio source. You can pass this direct to the i2s audio device, or do some processing in between, such as passing it through BruteFIR. The limitation is that audio gadget mode currently presents only one bit depth and sample rate to the PC. You have to unload the gadget module then reload with the new settings if you want to change, and the PC will see this as the audio device effectively being unplugged and plugged in again.

Ok, I didn't know that - very interesting! How exactly do you configure this "audio gadget" mode?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The generic OTG/gadget setup is covered in Andrew Mulholland's Gist. It doesn't detail the g_audio module options for setting the bit depth and sample rate though. You'd use something like:
Code:
sudo modprobe g_audio c_srate=192000 c_ssize=4 p_srate=48000 p_ssize=2
That will create a capture interface at 192kHz 32 bit (4 byte) and a playback interface at 48kHz 16 bit. I don't remember which perspective capture and playback are from though - I suspect from the Pi.

There was a patch set for specifying the rate and size as a comma separated list - I don't know whether this has been accepted upstream though. It wasn't in the Raspbian kernel last time I tried it. There's also some work on presenting a UAC3 interface.

I've only tried this connecting to a linux PC, but so long as you only use one gadget module at a time it should work with Windows.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Would the same procedure work for RPI 3 B+?
I don't think so - as I understand it that port is connected to a usb hub that in turn connects to the ethernet and USB A sockets on the various B models. The power socket may use a micro-B on those, but it's just a power socket. It might work on the Pi 4 as I understand the Type C socket is connected to an OTG interface on the processor, and the mistaken resistor wiring identifies it as an audio device.

Top Bottom