• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

Stancio

The s9 pro uses a bit more battery than the sonata hd pro. Not a major difference but definitely noticable

since sonata hd pro is not sold in my state and i have to buy in china, is it better if i buy the E1DA 9038D?

Steeveep

since sonata hd pro is not sold in my state and i have to buy in china, is it better if i buy the E1DA 9038D?
Honestly I'm not sure of its measurements or power consumption but it seems to get good reviews

DavidS

Since such a cable comes already with the S9 Pro why do you need this additional cable at all?
I believe any standard USB-C to USB-C cable works with the S9 Pro and the S9, though ironically the cable supplied with both devices is non-standard and only works one-way round. You do need an appropriate cable for connecting to the lightning port on an iPhone (or use the Camera Connection kit). Personally I’ve found the non-standard cable to be unreliable though qutie possibly I forget and plug it in the wrong way round quite often. I stick with a standard cable as used for any other device which connects to my iPad pro.

smitten8

would you consider purchasing Parallels Desktop for Mac - I use this for a virtual windows 10 installation on my MBP and updated the S9 firmware this way. The S9 works great on my 2020 MBP 13” powering a HD6XX.

Was looking to purchase this DAC/AMP combo to run my Sennheiser HD58x from my Macbook Pro 16" 2019

I am only listening to music in Apple Music HD - most likely will never listen via my phone just my laptop.

However, i have no access to a Windows PC so would have no way to update the firmware.

Could you possible recommend another USB-C powered dac/amp combo that would work as flawlessly as this one does with your Mac?

Do not want to be tethered to a desk/wall set up and there are not many portable options that are solely USB-C powered without a battery.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Sonic-Wall

Just received my Hidizs S9 Pro and it sounds awesome with my Hifiman Ananda headphones.
It’s unbelievable that such a small device generates such a great sound.
Compared it with my other Dongle-DAC and the difference was night and day.
Need to also compare it to my RME ADI-2 Pro.
For sure this DAC/Amp will make it to the very far left on Amir‘s list!
Can‘t wait to see his review…

Attachments

• 3BCE6287-71CF-4632-951E-2FE2BBED839F.jpeg
    3BCE6287-71CF-4632-951E-2FE2BBED839F.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 234

BARDUKE

Ordering the S9 Pro today. Looking forward to future tests and measurements.

Bernd

Forum Donor
Just received my Hidizs S9 Pro and it sounds awesome with my Hifiman Ananda headphones.
It’s unbelievable that such a small device generates such a great sound.
Compared it with my other Dongle-DAC and the difference was night and day.
Need to also compare it to my RME ADI-2 Pro.
For sure this DAC/Amp will make it to the very far left on Amir‘s list!
Can‘t wait to see his review…
HI, I am looking forward to your findings. I have the S9 Pro and the ADI-2 FS as well - and according to me the RMI is still better - most notably in bass frequency detail and restitution. Anyway my Android phone - USB Player Pro - S9 Pro - HiFiman 4XX on balanced cables - gives me an phenomenal audio pleasure for around 300 bucks. The bang for the buck ratio is insanely good.

djn04

Has anyone had problems with the S9 Pro and Roon Bridge on a Raspberry Pi 4? I'm having a very strange volume problem. I have it set to device volume in Roon and as I adjust the volume, when I hit 42 it goes to extremely loud, and then back down to a more normal volume at 43. I can turn it up all the way to 100 and it doesn't get as loud as it was at 42.

Plod990

Has anyone had problems with the S9 Pro and Roon Bridge on a Raspberry Pi 4? I'm having a very strange volume problem. I have it set to device volume in Roon and as I adjust the volume, when I hit 42 it goes to extremely loud, and then back down to a more normal volume at 43. I can turn it up all the way to 100 and it doesn't get as loud as it was at 42.
Yes, I’ve got the same problem. No problem with a Dragonfly Red instead of the S9. I e-mailed Hidizs a couple of weeks ago but got no reply.

Bernd

Forum Donor
Yes, I’ve got the same problem. No problem with a Dragonfly Red instead of the S9. I e-mailed Hidizs a couple of weeks ago but got no reply.
Hi, I am using the S9 PRO together with RoopieeeXXL on a PI 4. No issues

djn04

Hi, I am using the S9 PRO together with RoopieeeXXL on a PI 4. No issues

So strange. I've tried RopieeeXL and RooExtend (I use RooDial) and both have the same volume issue. No issue with the S9 Pro on other devices and the Dragonfly has no problem with the Raspberry Pi.

I wonder if there are different firmwares for the S9 Pro?

Plod990

So strange. I've tried RopieeeXL and RooExtend (I use RooDial) and both have the same volume issue. No issue with the S9 Pro on other devices and the Dragonfly has no problem with the Raspberry Pi.

I wonder if there are different firmwares for the S9 Pro?
I also tried my S9 Pro with a Project Stream Box S2 Ultra - same problem. No problem though with the S2 Ultra and any other DAC I’ve tried.

mudy

I had same problem. I fixed it by ssh then run alsamixer, then press F6 to switch to S9 pro. By default all 3 are at 42, you need to adjust last 2 control to max then I think it will work normally. The volume occasionally jump to max in UAPP, which I didn’t figure out why.
I already returned mine, because there are click sound when I switching app and play pause occasionally.

Merkurio

@amirm Maybe an ultra noob question already addressed, but why do some dongles (just like this S9) push more power at a given load than others using the same voltage input (4V in balanced mode) being all of them portable and current limited by design? It’s all about the amplifier section implementation?

I’m tried to figure it out just by the Ohm’s law principle, but I can’t see the full picture.

Goldec

I have an issue under MacOS. When I unplug and replug the DAC I always get full volume. The OS remembers the volume setting for all other sound cards but not the S9. Can anyone confirm if this is happening for anyone else or only me?
I have older mac with USB-A ports.

joshpgst

HIDIZS S9 PRO PROBLEM, after attempting to download the drivers from their website, whenever i plug my s9 pro in a windows notif comes up “USB device not recognized” and from the Device Manager before listed under Hidizs S9 Pro now becomes under other devices - Comtrue-inc Firmware Update Device. Cant update it or anything. CS said to flash the firmware again. What does that mean? When it's plugged in it's just breathing blue led.
240560938_171372751797006_4336086455453932713_n.png
238418834_1459110714467445_8136218937228984151_n.png
238745757_225639592728475_767745151711811168_n.png

PS. i'm sorry if i'm breaking any rules with this post. i'm very new here

Top Bottom