• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

0RF30

"If I deny access, UAPP shows the playback as "Direct" as opposed to "USB DAC" but still plays through the dongle anyway. Presumably after doing its usual android resampling to 48khz trick"
That's why I thought the phone dac was being used and the dongle just as an amp

That's it ;)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think behavior is different (anyway it isn't for any dongle I own - including S9/E1DAs/S8). Which may differ with the prompt, is if you granted a permanent authorization to UAPP to use one or another dongle, and if UAPP is already running or not when you connect it, and if you chose an app in particular to always launch at device connection (instead of "once only").

[EDIT] What matters at the end is if UAPP says "USB DAC", you're in exclusive mode, if it says "Direct" you're in shared mode with android system resampling.

[EDIT 2] BTW, you can clear device authorizations and default launches at connections in UAPP app info menu, that should reset behavior. But to be complete, you should do the same with any app using the dongles.

[EDIT 3] Don't know if I made myself clear, there is usually a prompt to request access, a prompt to launch the app at connection, and a prompt to choose between apps if more than one can use the dongle (E1DA for example with the 9038 app). Plus it can differ if you made permanent choices for a dongle, or if UAPP is already running or not. All of these and combination between can cause different schemes of prompts.

It gets even more confusing as behaviours are phone and/ or android version dependant as well as dongle dependant. Pixel 3 running Beta Android 12 handles the same DAC differently to Oneplus 7T running Android 11. This is with all UAPP defaults cleared and things like the E1DA app removed. UAPP and Spotify force closed before connecting DAC in all cases. E1DA 9038D used on both phones.

On the Pixel- whether I accept the handle prompt or the access prompt , UAPP says USB DAC on playback. LEaving UAPP in background and playing spotify pushes sound through phone speaker, not DAC

On the OP7T- UAPP says USB DAC on playback on accepting either "handle" (with app closed and DAC then connected) or "accept" if I connect DAC, reject "handle" then open UAPP and "accept" AND if i pause playback but leave in the background, Spotify plays through the dongle.

But I think you're central point , that if UAPP says "USB DAC" on playback its controlling the dongle fully- just on some phones somehow other apps can access the same DAC too. But only when UAPP playback is paused. If UAPP is still playing, pressing play on Spotify results in silent playback

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"If I deny access, UAPP shows the playback as "Direct" as opposed to "USB DAC" but still plays through the dongle anyway. Presumably after doing its usual android resampling to 48khz trick"
That's why I thought the phone dac was being used and the dongle just as an amp

If you've ever used UAPP with bluetooth headphones it will do a similar thing. You can route the digital signal through the phones "high quality" DAC (Internal DAC in settings) and then out to Bluetooth. It says in the settings blurb this "may result in better playback" but I am unsure how. It actually created skips and clicks for me. Either way, its the BT receiver/ DAC in the headphones doing the end digital to analogue conversion regardless of what steps it goes through before that.

0RF30

If you've ever used UAPP with bluetooth headphones it will do a similar thing. You can route the digital signal through the phones "high quality" DAC (Internal DAC in settings) and then out to Bluetooth. It says in the settings blurb this "may result in better playback" but I am unsure how. It actually created skips and clicks for me. Either way, its the BT receiver/ DAC in the headphones doing the end digital to analogue conversion regardless of what steps it goes through before that.

Bluetooth ?! What's that ? ;)

It gets even more confusing as behaviours are phone and/ or android version dependant as well as dongle dependant. Pixel 3 running Beta Android 12 handles the same DAC differently to Oneplus 7T running Android 11. This is with all UAPP defaults cleared and things like the E1DA app removed. UAPP and Spotify force closed before connecting DAC in all cases. E1DA 9038D used on both phones.

On the Pixel- whether I accept the handle prompt or the access prompt , UAPP says USB DAC on playback. LEaving UAPP in background and playing spotify pushes sound through phone speaker, not DAC

On the OP7T- UAPP says USB DAC on playback on accepting either "handle" (with app closed and DAC then connected) or "accept" if I connect DAC, reject "handle" then open UAPP and "accept" AND if i pause playback but leave in the background, Spotify plays through the dongle.

But I think you're central point , that if UAPP says "USB DAC" on playback its controlling the dongle fully- just on some phones somehow other apps can access the same DAC too. But only when UAPP playback is paused. If UAPP is still playing, pressing play on Spotify results in silent playback

I was going to edit my post again saying it may also depend on android version and or brand overlays, but having a look at it, I decided it may be already confuse enough, arf. I may lack comparison points as I only own Xiaomi and Samsung phones, stock or custom ROMs, all android 10.

Regarding the fact anything playing when you leave screen app, there is a "release USB driver on home" option in UAPP, or something like that. If disabled, nothing else than UAPP should be able to play when you switch apps. [EDIT] Unless maybe if multiple apps are granted eclusive acces at the same time, but no even sure (should try, but just uninstalled Neutron, arf).

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding the fact anything playing when you leave screen app, there is a "release USB driver on home" option in UAPP, or something like that. If disabled, nothing else than UAPP should be able to play when you switch apps. [EDIT] Unless maybe if multiple apps are granted eclusive acces at the same time, but no even sure (should try, but just uninstalled Neutron, arf).

Bingo- on Pixel this setting (its in "System" btw) was unchecked- but checked on OP7T. Pixel still plays spotify through speaker- it says this setting is phone/ android dependant though

0RF30

Bingo- on Pixel this setting (its in "System" btw) was unchecked- but checked on OP7T. Pixel still plays spotify through speaker- it says this setting is phone/ android dependant though

Just curiosity, is it Spotify or your Pixel android OS overlay which is saying that ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curiosity, is it Spotify or your Pixel android OS overlay which is saying that ?

Sorry, the explanatory note on the UAPP "release on home" setting says that. The only dialogue I ever get when plugging a DAC in is an android system one - asking either do I want UAPP to "handle" or "access" the connected device.
Screenshot_20210618-145150.png

Jazz

What do I set my Audio MIDI Setup on original S9 (AKM) for streaming Apple Music lossless Hi-Res?
Full 2 ch 32-bit Integer 768.0 kHz (white light)? or;
2 ch 24-bit Integer 192 kHz (blue light)? The max for Apple Music.
Another way to ask this is; Will the DAC adapt — either setting — or, do I have to set it manually exactly right each time? Even to 16/44.1 songs?! Because, unless I am playing an album, the streaming resolution will range, depending on the recording, from 16/44.1 up to 24/192 (but mostly no higher than 24/96).
Direct from Mac mini M1 USB-C out to DAC.

Steeveep

What do I set my Audio MIDI Setup on original S9 (AKM) for streaming Apple Music lossless Hi-Res?
Another way to ask this is; Will the DAC adapt — either setting — or, do I have to set it manually exactly right each time? Even to 16/44.1 songs?! Because, unless I am playing an album, the streaming resolution will range, depending on the recording, from 16/44.1 up to 24/192 (but mostly no higher than 24/96).
It should change automatically. Unless there's something different with your setup

eas

If you are worried about hi-res lossless and getting all the bits, set the DAC to use 2 ch 24-bit Integer 192 kHz in Audio MIDI Setup. Anything lower than that will be automatically upsampled (with great fidelity). Your DAC will stay in 2 ch 24-bit Integer 192 kHz mode throughout.

Jazz

I think the confusion lies in the iOS system doing this automatically. Which is right. But the MacOS needing the Audio MIDI Setup set to the bit rate. Hopefully Apple fixes this with update. An external DAC should play the highest quality track at its highest setting. Then adjust downward. The S9 does this on iOS fine. On Mac Big Sur, you have to set the bit rate to the highest setting the service is capable of. 24/192 for Apple Music. (Irrespective of other issues confusing us all.)

whatsupbras

Update to my previous posts having trouble to get the S9 to work with macOS Big Sur.

I emailed back and forth with the company -- they are very quick to respond and are very helpful and friendly: Great customer support! In the end they send me a download link for two Windows 10 executables (".exe") and a firmware file (".hex") and an installation document (MS Word, ".doc"). The installation document is needed, it is not simply a "double-click" action—read the manual before attempting to install the firmware update.

Steps:
1. Install a programme under Windows 10 ("SXW driver WHQL_20200902.exe”)
2. Using the installation document (!), use “SXW_ISP_Tool.exe” to ...
3. ... update the firmware ("Hidizs S9 - F83C-v1.86-20210317.hex”)
4. De-install "SXW driver WHQL_20200902.exe” again.

End result:
Plays music without stuttering under macOS Big Sur -- as for the iPhone the music sounds great, very clean, very clear. Drives my Sennheiser IE 800 easily despite the low 16 Ohm impedance. Very happy with my purchase now.

After the procedure above the Hidizs S9 plays beautifully with my MacBook Pro and my iPhone.

Was looking to purchase this DAC/AMP combo to run my Sennheiser HD58x from my Macbook Pro 16" 2019

I am only listening to music in Apple Music HD - most likely will never listen via my phone just my laptop.

However, i have no access to a Windows PC so would have no way to update the firmware.

Could you possible recommend another USB-C powered dac/amp combo that would work as flawlessly as this one does with your Mac?

Do not want to be tethered to a desk/wall set up and there are not many portable options that are solely USB-C powered without a battery.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

melphoi

Hi,Guys..I just received this dongle and so far I'm pleased with the sound quality it produced. I'm pairing it with my Radius Nef11 (18 Ohm) earphone and I'm loving it. And I'm wondering whether this dongle has high mode like the one implemented in Sonata HD Pro.

Because I'm trying to connect my 100 Ohm impedance adapter with the earphone, and nothing happened, only the output became lower than it should be, even at max volume on smartphone wont be enough to drive the combined adapter with earphone which is 118 Ohm.
So is there High Gain mode in this USB DAC? If there is, how to trigger the High Gain Mode?

Thanks in advance.

ewoyn

what adapter are you using to connect to the iPhone lightning input? I have a USB-C to Lightening adapter that does not work with this unit and cables (tried both directions)! Frustrating!!

Hi, I recently purchased the S9 Pro and have the same problem. The Type C to Type C cable does not work with the iPAD 4. Generation. This has a USB-C connection only. What adapter cable is required to connect to this iPAD?

Thanks.

Best regards
Stephen
PS: Hidizs Support has not yet replied to my email.

Steeveep

Hi,Guys..I just received this dongle and so far I'm pleased with the sound quality it produced. I'm pairing it with my Radius Nef11 (18 Ohm) earphone and I'm loving it. And I'm wondering whether this dongle has high mode like the one implemented in Sonata HD Pro.

Because I'm trying to connect my 100 Ohm impedance adapter with the earphone, and nothing happened, only the output became lower than it should be, even at max volume on smartphone wont be enough to drive the combined adapter with earphone which is 118 Ohm.
So is there High Gain mode in this USB DAC? If there is, how to trigger the High Gain Mode?

Thanks in advance.
I think the 2.5mm balanced acts as high gain

DavidS

Hi, I recently purchased the S9 Pro and have the same problem. The Type C to Type C cable does not work with the iPAD 4. Generation. This has a USB-C connection only. What adapter cable is required to connect to this iPAD?

Thanks.

Best regards
Stephen

I connect my S9 pro to my iPhone via the HIDIZS LT02 cable which I purchased from Hifigo fairly cheaply. If you have an Apple Camera Connector kit then you can use any USB-C To UsB-A cable to connect the S9 Pro to the CCK. That involves an extra cable. David

fljoe

Thanks.

Best regards
Stephen

I am using a DDHiFi TC05 cable (https://www.amazon.com/Connect-Decoders-Players-Smartphones-Computer/dp/B08QMK6ZLK) on my IPad Pro .. works for me with the Hidizs S9 Pro.

s9pro.jpg

Last edited:

Stancio

Hi. To use it only connected to the smartphone it is better to buy s9 or s8. How long does the battery last while listening? I have a huawei p30 and some aurvana trio. Thank you

Steeveep

Hi. To use it only connected to the smartphone it is better to buy s9 or s8. How long does the battery last while listening? I have a huawei p30 and some aurvana trio. Thank you
The s9 pro uses a bit more battery than the sonata hd pro. Not a major difference but definitely noticable

Top Bottom