• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yesterday I bought the hidizs s9 on aliexpress, will I receive the s9 pro?
Very doubtful, but I wouldn't guess I'd ask your AliExpress seller - or better yet as I've found in the past is to simply cancel the order. I wouldn't wait too long, or the seller will ship the S9 and then it may be too late to cancel the order with AliExpress.

Then wait for the S9 Pro to be available on sale...

The S9 is "out of stock" on Hidizs website, but I don't see any news there about the S9 Pro.
https://www.hidizs.net/products/hidizs-s9-balanced-single-ended-mini-hifi-dac-amp

And, Hifigo usually has new items before they release on prerelease-sale, but I don't see the "S9 Pro" listed there yet either:
https://hifigo.com/collections/portable-1
https://hifigo.com/collections/hidizs?sort_by=created-descending
https://hifigo.com/blogs/news

But, you might want to keep the S9 AKM version on order. Then order the S9 Pro when it is available, to compare the S9 sound to the S9 Pro sound.

The S9 "AKM version" might end up becoming "collectible", if AKM doesn't recover or Hidizs doesn't bring back the S9 AKM production after AKM DAC chips are available again.
I asked Hidizs for the specs or product details of the S9PRO and after some back and forth, this is what they sent me:
Specifications
Size: 18X59X8mm
Dimensions: 18*59*8mm
D/A: ES9038Q2M
DAC chip: ES9038Q2M
DSD: DSD64/128/256/512
DSD: Native DSD64/128/256/512
PCM: 768kHz/32Bit
PCM: Support up to 768kHz/32Bit

Build quality: Aluminum-alloy CNC integration(Black,silver)
Transmission interface: Type-C

Output option: Compatible with both single ended 3.5mm and balanced 2.5mm headphones

Output power: Up to 100mW+100mW@32Ω 3.5mm SE / Up to 200mW+200mW@32Ω Balanced 2.5mm

Power system: No need to charge.Plug and play
Operating Systems: Android、Windows、Mac OS、iPad OS

(Please note: a Lightning to Type-C cable with OTG function has to be purchased separately to support iOS)
Net weight of the host: 11G
Net weight: 11g
They also indicated that the S9PRO was improved over the S9, saying that the motherboard is higher quality and that the sound quality will be better/improved. FYI some of this was through Alibaba Translate via the AliExpress messaging system.

It looks like power output is up on the S9PRO. The S9 has 90mW+90mW @32Ω 3.5mm SE / 125mW+125mW @32Ω Balanced 2.5mm. So, S9PRO is up to +10mW in single ended and +75mW on balanced, at least on paper and at @32Ω.
Did Hidizs give you a link to those specifications, or only quote the specifications in an email? If you have a link to share that would be great. :)

Last edited:

kamui

Did Hidizs give you a link to those specifications, or only quote the specifications in an email? If you have a link to share that would be great. :)

I asked for a spec sheet or product page, they pasted me the specs in an AliExpress message. That's what I reposted. So, there was no link. This was the Hidizs seller on AliExpress, so I assume they are the main seller of the S9 there? They did say the S9's were now out of stock, which is why they sent me the Pro. They didn't say if they'd be getting anymore S9's or if they're shipping out the Pros now to everyone.

@yaki34 I'd recommend contacting them through AliExpress and ask them if they're going to send the S9 or Pro.

yaki34

I asked hidizs on aliexpress if they had stock of the s9 and they replied "still online". I still do not know if I will receive the s9 or s9 pro, when it arrives I will tell you which of the 2 I got.

hmscott

I asked for a spec sheet or product page, they pasted me the specs in an AliExpress message. That's what I reposted. So, there was no link. This was the Hidizs seller on AliExpress, so I assume they are the main seller of the S9 there? They did say the S9's were now out of stock, which is why they sent me the Pro. They didn't say if they'd be getting anymore S9's or if they're shipping out the Pros now to everyone.

@yaki34 I'd recommend contacting them through AliExpress and ask them if they're going to send the S9 or Pro.
I asked hidizs on aliexpress if they had stock of the s9 and they replied "still online". I still do not know if I will receive the s9 or s9 pro, when it arrives I will tell you which of the 2 I got.
I see now that there is only one seller on AliExpress for the S9 :)
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal..._20210426164159&origin=y&SearchText=hidizs+s9
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001592548299.html

Steeveep

I think I'll wait until I know for definite which one will be delivered. Is it a decent upgrade over the s8?

Archangel

What is the clipping at 300 ohms for the unbalanced? I would be shocked if the power was the same for the 2 and 4 vrms

Human Bass

My Shaling UA2 arrived and works perfectly. Maybe not as powerful as the S9, but still plenty of power and the most important: not buggy.

AXR

Ha-ha. They are simply all sold out. Apparently a new S9 'Pro' is coming...

Good. Because S9 is still out of stock. After watching Amirs review on Cobalt, the S9 seems the way to go.

Ismapics

Hello Fellow ASR Community: What are your thoughts on connecting this device to a Simple Raspberry Pi (no HAT, simple Power supply) or Single Board Computer. The SBC are considered to be noisy. Would a device like the Hidizs be isolated. Thinking about a SB and one of these for streaming.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Fellow ASR Community: What are your thoughts on connecting this device to a Simple Raspberry Pi (no HAT, simple Power supply) or Single Board Computer. The SBC are considered to be noisy. Would a device like the Hidizs be isolated. Thinking about a SB and one of these for streaming.

I think the question you have to answer first is will the HIDISZ even work with the raspberry pi OS?

Ismapics

I think the question you have to answer first is will the HIDISZ even work with the raspberry pi OS?

thanks, Could be any other USB Dac. Even not dongle type like a topping. You can also run other Pi software like diet pi or even Android.

does anybody know if there is any difference between the ''LT01'' cable (usb c - lightning) and your generic white apple lightning cable?

Trying to use the S9 with an old Ipad (early generation).
It doesnt work with the free cable I got with my ipad, which charges the Ipad fine.

I wondered about buying the Lt01, or is it just the same thing and twenty quid down the toilet?
Thanks!

pokerbarlo

would this work well with the AKG K371 read somewhere on there that it could make high sensitivity headphones hiss?

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
does anybody know if there is any difference between the ''LT01'' cable (usb c - lightning) and your generic white apple lightning cable?

Trying to use the S9 with an old Ipad (early generation).
It doesnt work with the free cable I got with my ipad, which charges the Ipad fine.

I wondered about buying the Lt01, or is it just the same thing and twenty quid down the toilet?
Thanks!
If not using the supplied cable that came with the S9, you'll need the Apple camera kit to use it with an Apple device that has a lightning connector. There are two different types. One allows you to charge your iOS device while connected to the DAC. The other doesn't:
Lightning to USB Camera Adapter - Apple (UK)
Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Apple (UK)

yaki34

I already received the hidizs s9, on the box it says s9 but in device manager it says s9 pro.

Top Bottom