• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

leonidas

I just ordered the S9, based on Amirs great review about the device.

Reading about problems with the S8 - are they present with the S9, connected through an iPhone?

Last edited:

Jazz

Is it OK to leave it plugged in to a sleeping Mac Mini M1 when not in use? Like over night or for a day or so. Plugged in it stays on (green light) and is slightly warm.
Unplugged from USB-C, it is, of course, off and cool.
The external USB drives I have used for decades now, go into sleep mode. One pulses a bit.

Jazz

Observation: If you look directly into the USB-C cables, one has a purple interior (non logo one). Neither have matching pins in them.
What is that all about?

Jazz

Apparently you can check your version in the device manager, if it doesn't say pro then you most likely have an AKM version.
Thanks!
In MacOS language that would be the Audio Midi Setup app or also ; About This Mac; System Information; USB

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I updated the S9 using the SW their support provides and that solved the problem. Thanks

kamui

I asked Hidizs for the specs or product details of the S9PRO and after some back and forth, this is what they sent me:

Specifications

Size: 18X59X8mm
Dimensions: 18*59*8mm
D/A: ES9038Q2M
DAC chip: ES9038Q2M
DSD: DSD64/128/256/512
DSD: Native DSD64/128/256/512
PCM: 768kHz/32Bit
PCM: Support up to 768kHz/32Bit

Build quality: Aluminum-alloy CNC integration(Black,silver)
Transmission interface: Type-C

Output option: Compatible with both single ended 3.5mm and balanced 2.5mm headphones

Output power: Up to 100mW+100mW@32Ω 3.5mm SE / Up to 200mW+200mW@32Ω Balanced 2.5mm

Power system: No need to charge.Plug and play
Operating Systems: Android、Windows、Mac OS、iPad OS

(Please note: a Lightning to Type-C cable with OTG function has to be purchased separately to support iOS)
Net weight of the host: 11G
Net weight: 11g

They also indicated that the S9PRO was improved over the S9, saying that the motherboard is higher quality and that the sound quality will be better/improved. FYI some of this was through Alibaba Translate via the AliExpress messaging system.

It looks like power output is up on the S9PRO. The S9 has 90mW+90mW @32Ω 3.5mm SE / 125mW+125mW @32Ω Balanced 2.5mm. So, S9PRO is up to +10mW in single ended and +75mW on balanced, at least on paper and at @32Ω.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't that a DAC + amp in a chip?

ctakim

Forum Donor
So I've tested this with my MacMini and the HIDIZS S9 is definitely a noticeable improvement over the internal DAC headphone out. But on my iPhone, i honestly can't tell the difference between the Apple Dongle and this device, which is what I purchased this device and the Lightning connector (Hidizs LT01 lightning to type c transfer cable for S9) for. So after a bit of deliberation, I am going to put it up for sale.

joaoakio

Hi!

I am looking to buy a dongle or portable DAC to use with my IEMs and my headphones (Moondrop SSP, starfield, SeeAudio Yume, Sennheiser HD560s and PXC 550ii).
And I am not sure if I buy the Hidizs S9 (dongle option), or the Fiio Q3 (portable DAC option). The review suggests that the hidizs does not have perceptible distortion. And I was wondering if this feature can compensate the lack of power (compared to the fiio).
I hope I could get some advise here. I am kid of new on headphones and DACs.

Thanks!

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi! I am looking to buy a dongle or portable DAC to use with my IEMs and my headphones (Moondrop SSP, starfield, SeeAudio Yume, Sennheiser HD560s and PXC 550ii).
And I am not sure if I buy the Hidizs S9 (dongle option), or the Fiio Q3 (portable DAC option). The review suggests that the hidizs does not have perceptible distortion. And I was wondering if this feature can compensate the lack of power (compared to the fiio).
I hope I could get some advice here. I am kid of new on headphones and DACs. Thanks!
Fiio has its own battery so won't use up the one in your phone. But then it is a lot bigger and heavier. You need to decide what is more important.
I have the S9 which is great when I don't need a microphone for calls, for that I use the FiiO BTR5 - which is quite a bit smaller than the FiiO Q3 - and the BTR5 has onboard battery power.

I've used the BTR5 for desktop and mobile use, both connected with USB to phone/PC and via Bluetooth - phone BT pairs with BTR5, IEM's plugged in to BTR5, and BTR5 internal microphone does a great job on calls - much better than inline mic on IEMs and TWS's.

The BTR5 has plenty of power for IEM's, and most of my headphones. My Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm on SE max out the BTR5, but it is listenable. Balanced on the BTR5 puts out much more power so if you can use the 2.5mm jack and balanced headphone cables to get the most out of the BTR5.

The FiiO BTR3k is even smaller and has its own onboard battery, but has less power output.

Both can be configured to run on battery only - or in other words turn off the parasitic power draw from USB power - which is needed on the iPhone and handy on other devices you don't want the BTR5/BTR3k to drain power.

I've got several BTR5's and they are all still working, same goes for the BTR3k - bonus is the BTR3k can act as USB-C DAC for Nintendo Switch - the BTR3k is also supposed to work with the PS4 (PS5?), but I haven't tried it personally.

There are a lot of new choices out there for small battery onboard portable external DAC/AMPs, look around, or start with the BTR5 / BTR3k as they are the cheapest with onboard battery I have hands-on experience with.

Here is Hifigo's Portable DAC/AMP's listed by Newest first:
https://hifigo.com/collections/portable-1

...anyone have other similar form-factor / function units in mind?

As a word to the wise, if you have problems with these small units - they have limited physical interfaces - so you need to use the app (if the device has one), and even then things are precise - like if you disable the USB Power - you will run out of power and "brick" the unit, but all you have to do is to plug in USB power and leave it charge for a few minutes, then after you power up re-enable powering from USB to finish charging.

I have used the BTR5 with USB power enabled with a desktop PC for endless hours of fun, and when portable if I needed to I disabled the BTR5 option to power from USB and when the BTR5 ran out of power I simply swapped in another 100% charged BTR5 and keep going, putting the 0% charge BTR5 away to re-charge later.

The reason I mention this is I was reading Amazon reviews and "all" of the negative reviews were PEBCAK Errors - Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard, like complaining about "bricking" their BTR5. Always remember we aren't infallible, check upstairs for the source of the problem before looking externally for the source of the problem. ;)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the S9 which is great when I don't need a microphone for calls, for that I use the FiiO BTR5 - which is quite a bit smaller than the FiiO Q3 - and the BTR5 has onboard battery power.

I've used the BTR5 for desktop and mobile use, both connected with USB to phone/PC and via Bluetooth - phone BT pairs with BTR5, IEM's plugged in to BTR5, and BTR5 internal microphone does a great job on calls - much better than inline mic on IEMs and TWS's.

The FiiO BTR3k is even smaller and has its own onboard battery.

Both can be configured to run on battery only - or in otherwords turn off parasitic power draw from USB power - which is needed on the iPhone and handy on other devices you don't want the BTR5/BTR3k to drain power.

I've got several BTR5's and they are all still working, same goes for the BTR3k - bonus is the BTR3k can act as USB-C DAC for Nintendo Switch - the BTR3k is also supposed to work with the PS4 (PS5?), but I haven't tried it personally.

There are a lot of new choices out there for small battery onboard portable external DAC/AMPs, look around, or start with the BTR5/BTR3k as they are the cheapest with onboard battery I am currently aware of...anyone have other similar formfactor / function units in mind?
Qudelix 5k is similar function and price to btr5 but has PEQ

ctakim

Forum Donor
how is the power used btw s9 and apple dongle? is s9 similar? Thanks
The S9 used more power or seemed to than the Apple dongle, which was an issue for me. Sound quality was very good but then again, so was the dongle.

ctakim

Forum Donor
you mean the apple is 'just as good'
Yes, the iPhone dongle and the S9 were not discernible to my unblinded testing. Interestingly the S9 on my MacBook vs. the internal headphone plug was noticeably different with the S9 being superior.

Top Bottom