• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

jannek

There is no proper grounding. Have a look at the 9038D topic from post #55 on. Too little benefit for too much risk, I would think

seamon

Alright looks like updating the firmware on the S9 solves the Windows issues.

jannek

Received a link to the "more complicated" update procedure today. Will try this evening and see if it solves the stuttering.

seamon

Is there a public way to get the firmware update, or the only chance is to contact Hidizs support?
They are very responsive. IDK if I want to share their files publicly

Felippe

Update to my previous posts having trouble to get the S9 to work with macOS Big Sur.

I emailed back and forth with the company -- they are very quick to respond and are very helpful and friendly: Great customer support! In the end they send me a download link for two Windows 10 executables (".exe") and a firmware file (".hex") and an installation document (MS Word, ".doc"). The installation document is needed, it is not simply a "double-click" action—read the manual before attempting to install the firmware update.

Steps:
1. Install a programme under Windows 10 ("SXW driver WHQL_20200902.exe”)
2. Using the installation document (!), use “SXW_ISP_Tool.exe” to ...
3. ... update the firmware ("Hidizs S9 - F83C-v1.86-20210317.hex”)
4. De-install "SXW driver WHQL_20200902.exe” again.

End result:
Plays music without stuttering under macOS Big Sur -- as for the iPhone the music sounds great, very clean, very clear. Drives my Sennheiser IE 800 easily despite the low 16 Ohm impedance. Very happy with my purchase now.

After the procedure above the Hidizs S9 plays beautifully with my MacBook Pro and my iPhone.

18000rpm

I just received mine and am using it in Windows with foobar2000.

Initially I had a lot of stuttering issues playing certain bitrates (192kbps, DSD etc) using the standard ASIO4ALL driver. After I replaced it with the ASIO driver from here https://www.hidizs.net/apps/help-center#hc-s9-asio-driver all the issues went away.

I'm using DSD: WASAPI (push): Speakers (Hidizs S9) as the output in foobar2000 and everything plays perfectly now. The LED shows green, blue or yellow depending on whether I'm playing normal bitrates, 192kbps, or DSD.

All good so far.

Received my unit which I ordered from Alibaba 14 days ago this morning. Amazing dongle. Great soundquality and lots of power. 87,- USD well spent. No regrets at all.

If you are looking to get one the official Hidizs store on Aliexpress is going to have a sale on them starting 29th March. 87,- plus free shipping.

lordhumungous

Received my unit which I ordered from Alibaba 14 days ago this morning. Amazing dongle. Great soundquality and lots of power. 87,- USD well spent. No regrets at all.

If you are looking to get one the official Hidizs store on Aliexpress is going to have a sale on them starting 29th March. 87,- plus free shipping.
It really is . Just as good or better than some of my much more expensive desktop dacs.

Veri

Master Contributor
I switched back and forth between the Hidizs S9 and the E30 connected to my Asgard 3 / HD660S and honestly I can't hear a difference.
High praise :D (so of course something like the Asgard hasn't got any of that 'Class-A' magic. got it).

High praise :D (so of course something like the Asgard hasn't got any of that 'Class-A' magic. got it).
I should have be more precise I guess. I connected the Hidizs to the Asgard via RCA as well to give it a fair comparision :)

Veri

Master Contributor
I should have be more precise I guess. I connected the Hidizs to the Asgard via RCA as well to give it a fair comparision :)
Haha okay okay. I'd expect the Asgard to have substantially power output power so difficult comparison, maybe :D

Haha okay okay. I'd expect the Asgard to have substantially power output power so difficult comparison, maybe :D

I was listening to one particular song and matched the power with an spl meter... but you are right it is a difficult comparision.

CaseyBill

Hi,

I wondered if anyone had tested this with Samsung phones where dongle dacs are not recognized when plugging in "cold". I have an S10 and the Ibasso DC04 and I have to restart for the thing to be recognized and then it only stays connected if you keep it plugged in. If you take it out you have to restart. Does the S9 have similar issues? (p.s. Anyone found a work around for this on Samsung phones? It's apparently to do with the type c not providing current to keep the dac awake.)

Top Bottom