• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

lordhumungous

You should only ever plug balanced headphones into a balanced Amp. Adapting one balanced connection to another balanced one is not a problem, so long as the adapter is configured correctly.
Plugging a single ended headphone that has a 3.5mm or 6.35mm plug into a balanced Amp using an adapter however is not recommended.
Ive done it. No damage..... so far.

Aliberti

Great review, but I’ve encountered problems with it. Purchased one based on review, but cannot get the LED light to glow beyond “green” even though I’ve confirmed streaming 24/192 streaming files and playing high resolution flac files. Failed from windows laptop, MacBook and iPhone. Any thoughts or solutions?
Thanks! Your info helped solve it. In iOs on my MacBook, went into "Audio MIDA Setup " app and changed the output settings which were limited to 16/44. Probably same concept in Windows

Jet Black

How many percent better is this dongle than a ibasso dc03? Is the sound quality a big jump if I upgrade to this?

alleroy

Hello everybody, may I ask a suggestion for an adapter to use with S9 2.5mm TRRS balanced output, since I would like to pair it with an Audio Technica ATH-MSR7b which has a Pentacon 4.4mm jack connector?

Tiago P

This review I found on amazon from a Hidizs S8 user may be useful to someone:
"
EDIT 2: replaced the issued cable with a Fiio CL06 USB C to Micro USB. All issues have disappeared. It's a shame that the qc on the cables with this product isn't up to par, but with a reliable cable the product absolutely lives up to its reputation in the hifi community.
The fact that you cannot simply disconnect the DAC without first disconnecting your headphones without having software issues in Android is definitely a major concern, though, and when combined with the shoddy cabling provided causing these disconnects to happen, this product does not deserve a full 5 star rating. A firmware update to fix compatibility issues and better cables would go a long way to improve the product.

EDIT 1: the source of the issue has been located. The USB C to micro USB cable supplied is utter garbage. The sound quality is still solid, even through devices not meant for quality music output, but the USB C jack is definitely not in spec and even a light nudge causes it to disconnect, and if it hits that sweet spot where it constantly connects and reconnects, your phone will not react to it well. I've ordered a replacement Fiio cable and will edit again if this improves the issue.

The sound quality from this dongle is fantastic. There's some issues with the buttons being too sensitive and getting depressed from just being in my pocket, but this isn't necessarily a deal breaker.

The main sticking point, however, is that when switching between apps, the dongle will occasionally stop sending audio. This issue is consistent across any apps that play audio, including Spotify, Deezer, Poweramp, Facebook, etc. The HiBy app that they recommend for functionality does not appear to function properly either. From what it appears, even if I unplug the dongle, Android still believes it is plugged in and is sending audio to a nonexistent channel. I have not experienced this issue with any other DAC thus far. Unplugging and replugging the DAC does not resolve the issue, nor does force stopping any of the apps continuing to send traffic. Constantly rebooting my phone to use this is not a viable solution. If this is a user error or requires a software/firmware update to fix that I have no done and customer support advises me on this, or if I have a faulty unit that needs replacing, I will amend this review.

"

0RF30

This review I found on amazon from a Hidizs S8 user may be useful to someone:
"
EDIT 2: replaced the issued cable with a Fiio CL06 USB C to Micro USB. All issues have disappeared. It's a shame that the qc on the cables with this product isn't up to par, but with a reliable cable the product absolutely lives up to its reputation in the hifi community.
The fact that you cannot simply disconnect the DAC without first disconnecting your headphones without having software issues in Android is definitely a major concern, though, and when combined with the shoddy cabling provided causing these disconnects to happen, this product does not deserve a full 5 star rating. A firmware update to fix compatibility issues and better cables would go a long way to improve the product.

EDIT 1: the source of the issue has been located. The USB C to micro USB cable supplied is utter garbage. The sound quality is still solid, even through devices not meant for quality music output, but the USB C jack is definitely not in spec and even a light nudge causes it to disconnect, and if it hits that sweet spot where it constantly connects and reconnects, your phone will not react to it well. I've ordered a replacement Fiio cable and will edit again if this improves the issue.

The sound quality from this dongle is fantastic. There's some issues with the buttons being too sensitive and getting depressed from just being in my pocket, but this isn't necessarily a deal breaker.

The main sticking point, however, is that when switching between apps, the dongle will occasionally stop sending audio. This issue is consistent across any apps that play audio, including Spotify, Deezer, Poweramp, Facebook, etc. The HiBy app that they recommend for functionality does not appear to function properly either. From what it appears, even if I unplug the dongle, Android still believes it is plugged in and is sending audio to a nonexistent channel. I have not experienced this issue with any other DAC thus far. Unplugging and replugging the DAC does not resolve the issue, nor does force stopping any of the apps continuing to send traffic. Constantly rebooting my phone to use this is not a viable solution. If this is a user error or requires a software/firmware update to fix that I have no done and customer support advises me on this, or if I have a faulty unit that needs replacing, I will amend this review.

"

Regarding the cable, I posted this in another thread :

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...olt-review-portable-dac-amp.20395/post-682680

Still absolutely no connection issue using ddHifi TC03 cable with S8.

I personally have no problem switching between apps (MIUI 12 / android 10) in non exclusive mode. Using UAPP (so exclusive mode) you have to configure it to release USB bandwith on home (Settings -> System -> Release USB audio driver on Home). If you're using Bubbleupnp as bridge I wouldn't do this though, cause it will release USB when switching between the two apps. I prefer disconnect/reconnect the dongle and don't allow UAPP to use it (on connection) when I want to use it system wide in non exclusive mode.

Last edited:

Felippe

Got my S9 delivered today --- but, like some other users here, totally useless: Stuttering music ... using a MacBook Pro 13" (Intel-based) running the latest version of macOS Big Sur (11.2.3).
  • Unplugging and re-plugging does not help. Restarting the laptop does not help. Music is stuttering and/or intermittent.
  • Problem persists with different Audio Players (Apple Music or Audirvana) or when trying to listen to YouTube (Safari or Firefox).
  • Problem persists using different USB cables, not only the two from Hidzis (which, bizarrely, really do have a direction ?!?!? WTF?? Plugged-in the "wrong way" the S9's light doesn't come on and its not recognised by macOS) but also an Apple and a Belkin cable.
  • Using Audirvana the software tells me that the S9 is not DSD capable … but the WWW-page of Hidizs claims it is. Given it doesn't play music I am, alas, in no position to test this.
What a grave disappointment :(

Warning: The S9 is absolutely unusable on macOS Big Sur

Have written an email ... let's see what they answer.

0RF30

I don't think anybody can provide a good answer since the DC03 has not been measured yet, as far as I know.

https://www.ixbt.com/live/digs/pozh...y-cap-obzor-i-zamery-novinki-ibasso-dc03.html

https://www.ixbt.com/live/digs/obzor-mobilnogo-capa-ibasso-dc04-i-ego-sravnenie-s-hitom-dc03.html

Probably need a translator though.

I'm a bit in a dongle comparison at the moment, never bought those cause of the non detachable cable, and considering the issues you could have with dongle cables...

Veri

Master Contributor
Got my S9 delivered today --- but, like some other users here, totally useless: Stuttering music ... using a MacBook Pro 13" (Intel-based) running the latest version of macOS Big Sur (11.2.3).
I think it's something to do with the usb-c

ScofieldKid

Are we sure this is a ComTrue USB interface? I couldn't find proof of that anywhere. If it is, it might explain some of the MacOS latest-version complaints, as those would match the ones we saw on the E1DA threads... ?!?

jannek

At least the S9 ASIO driver provided for Windows (7) is a Comtrue driver and obviously the same version which also did not work with the E1DA 9038. The problem itself is different, clicks with the 9038 but stuttering with the S9.

vext01

I read somewhere (the manual?) that firmware updates will be available for the S9 at some point, so maybe they will fix this stuttering that some people are experiencing.

Has anyone experiencing the stuttering tried using their S9 with their phone or a different OS to verify that it's not defective hardware?

jannek

I read somewhere (the manual?) that firmware updates will be available for the S9 at some point, so maybe they will fix this stuttering that some people are experiencing.

Has anyone experiencing the stuttering tried using their S9 with their phone or a different OS to verify that it's not defective hardware?

As I wrote, my S9 works flawlessly with Android devices. Haven't tried other Windows PCs yet.

0RF30

At least the S9 ASIO driver provided for Windows (7) is a Comtrue driver and obviously the same version which also did not work with the E1DA 9038. The problem itself is different, clicks with the 9038 but stuttering with the S9.

E1DA 9038D/S, Hidizs S9, Luxury & Precision W1 W2 are using Comtrue interface (used in dongles because they're power consumption friendly), which obviously causes many problems. Cracks and clicks on E1DA 9038 were fixed with a firmware update for those who had these problems, I had some issues with W1, fixed with a firmware update. I didn't experienced any issues with S9 on my side, but maybe Hidizs have to get back to work to solve the problem for those who did, and come back with a firmware fix.

[EDIT]

I had the same thought, and asked the same question at some point, don't think someone answered.

Last edited:

ScofieldKid

Yeah, my old Samsung stutters on PowerAmp and VLC (not on UAPP). And works perfectly on an iMac and Windows10.

atmfrank

Measures great, sounds like ....meh...I bought the S9 and connected it to a 2018 MacBook Pro. Compared it to Chord Mojo, Burson C3R, and DragonFly Red. Sound is flat and lifeless. Headphones used for testing: Grado GS1000e and HD800s. Ears used for testing: 64 yrs old. Maybe that's the problem.

lordhumungous

Measures great, sounds like ....meh...I bought the S9 and connected it to 2018 MacBook Pro. Compared it to Chord Mojo, Burson C3R, and DragonFly Red. Sound is flat and lifeless. Headphones used for testing: Grado GS1000e and HD800s. Ears used for testing: 64 yrs old. Maybe that's the problem.
I have found it certainly sounds better than the AQ Red but would never use it with the headphones you are using . Not enough juice . The mojo has the juice for those headphones.

atmfrank

It should be able drive the 32 Ohm Grado's without a problem. But yes, the Mojo has more "authority".

Top Bottom