• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

jasonhanjk

It's a shame the performance drops so much once loaded. At 300Ω, it's already 8dB short of the unloaded THD+N and that gap widens to like 15dB at 33Ω.
Amir video mention about increase thd+n due to driver.

buz

Forum Donor
Which is pretty much obsolete it self when compared to something like HiBy R3Pro regarding it's additional abilities. However this is DAC/Amp dongle size category.
Is there a good review with measurements of that one anywhere?

Only criticism I have with qudelix is the non SOTA SINAD...

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Is there a good review with measurements of that one anywhere?

Only criticism I have with qudelix is the non SOTA SINAD...
Proper one unfortunately not yet (or at least I don't know for it) and that's DAP.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, so much performance & power in something so small!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I miss the hardware volume buttons of the S8 here.

I find the hardware buttons far too broad in impact so usually control volume from the player app anyway. One step up on the buttons with sensitive IEM can be the difference between enjoyably loud and deafening.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find the hardware buttons far too broad in impact so usually control volume from the player app anyway. One step up on the buttons with sensitive IEM can be the difference between enjoyably loud and deafening.
Agreed, so better phrased, I miss the hardware buttons of the S8 but with smaller volume steps.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed, so better phrased, I miss the hardware buttons of the S8 but with smaller volume steps.
Yup. That's what an ideal dongle would have.

ririt

I don't know if mine is broken but my S9 cannot drive Aeon RT closed, it has horrible bass clicking at high volume, distortion is through the roof. On 250ohm dt770 I dont get this problem. Maybe it is the headphones.

Mine also has intereference sounds when I plug it in. It is like you leave your phone next to a speaker, sometimes when you get an incoming call there is this buzzing sound. But I am not getting any call.

But I only tried unbalanced. Will order balanced cables to try.

Also on Windows it will not let you get to the distortion level, it will be fine but Aeon will not be loud enough for some songs.

Using apple USB adapter it will also not let you get to distortion level, it will just say "this accesory is beind disabled because it uses too much power"

But if you are on android or use the hidizs lightning cable it will get louder but distort in bass, at least on my Aeon. But my other headphones are okay.

But then again high sensibility 32ohm headphones dont need this power, I can just use apple dongle.

Not really enough power for DT990 600ohm.
The sensitivity of the Aeon RT is very low (see Amir review). It is therefore quite logical that the S9 cannot drive it properly.
Since I am envisaging to buy this headphone, I made some calculations to define which kind of amp will drice it properly. Beefy portable dac+amps like the ifi micro idsd signature seem to be the most suitable.

Ismapics

This looks like a great piece of gear. The results are impressive. However I still use my Apple $9.99 (sometimes $7.99) dongle. it has a great score for the price. I keep 2 around. I did shrink wrap them so they last and have a spare just in case I misplace one or breaks. For $9.99 or even less its a great deal. If we ever do a SINAD to $ Ratio, this would easily be number #1. Lets see 99.001/$9.99 = 9.91 S$ . Now lets do it for the HIDIZS S9 112.63/$119.99= .9386 S$. What about Topping DX3 Pro 106/$224.99= .4711 S$. So the Apple is a great deal, sure for walking and portable listening.
IMG_6163.jpg

zappa

Regarding the lack of hardware volume buttons on S9, is that something significant ?
The ones on S8 are (I suppose) a "software" volume control (inside the chip ?) doing anyway the loss of bits (dynamic range) if attenuate a lot (<--this is a question)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This looks like a great piece of gear. The results are impressive. However I still use my Apple $9.99 (sometimes $7.99) dongle. it has a great score for the price. I keep 2 around. I did shrink wrap them so they last and have a spare just in case I misplace one or breaks. For $9.99 or even less its a great deal. If we ever do a SINAD to $ Ratio, this would easily be number #1. Lets see 99.001/$9.99 = 9.91 S$ . Now lets do it for the HIDIZS S9 112.63/$119.99= .9386 S$. What about Topping DX3 Pro 106/$224.99= .4711 S$. So the Apple is a great deal, sure for walking and portable listening.View attachment 117426
I like the idea of heat-shrink tubing, especially as the Apple cable is so thin. That removes the main objection to the Apple adapter IMO (assuming it has enough power). Which size did you find works best?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Hidizs 9S measures just higher in Sinad than the Topping E30? That's impressive. On the other hand, not having PEQ capabilities means you have to manage it another way. If you are using it at the desktop, $30 more you could have the Topping E30 with many more features I suppose. I'd still rather use the Qudelix with PEQ but I might buy one of these just to figure out if I can hear the difference in Sinad between this and the Qudelix.

Top Bottom