• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Is it just me? But after owning and using the Qudelix 5k with it's 10 band PEQ, l come away from a review of this thinking - obsolete..
Which is pretty much obsolete it self when compared to something like HiBy R3Pro regarding it's additional abilities. However this is DAC/Amp dongle size category.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Is the S9 still worth it over the others(S8) if I'm never going to use the Balanced Port?
Probably not and TempoTec Sonata HD Pro is cheaper same Hidizs S8 with some cosmetic differences. However keap in mind folks experience differ a lot (problematic/not problematic at all) regarding S8/Sonata HD Pro usage.

Probably not and TempoTec Sonata HD Pro is cheaper same Hidizs S8 with some cosmetic differences. However keap in mind folks experience differ a lot (problematic/not problematic at all) regarding S8/Sonata HD Pro usage.

I don't understand, I haven't read on this matter, What was the Issue with the Sonata HD Pro if I consider getting one.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I miss the hardware volume buttons of the S8 here.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is the S9 still worth it over the others(S8) if I'm never going to use the Balanced Port?
I had the S8 first but exchanged it for the S9 due to the supplied cables where of a very low quality. They where junk actually. Much better cables supplied with the S9 and better overall physical quality. However, the S9 is much more power-hungry.

Mulder

Forum Donor
I have written about this elsewhere in this forum, but I repeat it here. S9 is of a better overall physical quality than S8, in my opinion. But S9 is a much more power-hungry device. It drains the battery of a smartphone rather quickly compared to S8. I think it is on the edge to what can be considered useful with a smartphone.

Mulder

Forum Donor
@amirm wrote: No USB-C cable came with it which was surprising as they almost always include such.

Mine S9 actually came with an USB-C cable. However, contrary to the S8 it came without a lightning cable. So for iPhone-users, there is a need för a lightning to USAB-C converter. I use one like this. https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/94995.html

fgfgfg

What do you mean, 10V? This is also just an usb dongle right?
e1da uses 5v usb bus voltage in balanced versions, and 10v (+-5V) dual rail converter in unbalanced versions, since S9 have both, it definitely has dual rail power supply to eliminate output caps hence balanced output can take advantage of more voltage and hit 4Vrms target which is impossible with single 5v rail.

I had the S8 first but exchanged it for the S9 due to the supplied cables where of a very low quality. They where junk actually. Much better cables supplied with the S9 and better overall physical quality. However, the S9 is much more power-hungry.

Thanks, My Primary use for this will be for my Laptop, I have no intention of using it with my Phone. My priority is the Sound Quality out of the Standard 3.5mm Port.

Mulder

Forum Donor

lawk

I don't know if mine is broken but my S9 cannot drive Aeon RT closed, it has horrible bass clicking at high volume, distortion is through the roof. On 250ohm dt770 I dont get this problem. Maybe it is the headphones.

Mine also has intereference sounds when I plug it in. It is like you leave your phone next to a speaker, sometimes when you get an incoming call there is this buzzing sound. But I am not getting any call.

But I only tried unbalanced. Will order balanced cables to try.

Also on Windows it will not let you get to the distortion level, it will be fine but Aeon will not be loud enough for some songs.

Using apple USB adapter it will also not let you get to distortion level, it will just say "this accesory is beind disabled because it uses too much power"

But if you are on android or use the hidizs lightning cable it will get louder but distort in bass, at least on my Aeon. But my other headphones are okay.

But then again high sensibility 32ohm headphones dont need this power, I can just use apple dongle.

Not really enough power for DT990 600ohm.

Last edited:

Benaudio

Would be interested in the measurements of power when using unbalanced. My Qudelix is just a bit short on headroom for my Sundara sometimes (more than fine balanced), so wondering if s9 is superior. From the balanced figures, I’m not so sure.

Top Bottom