• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

alleroy

I just wrote explaining the stuttering audio and they sent me the link, I can share the link here but I just want to be sure I'm not breaking any forum rules by putting a download link here.

Thanks but today they answered to me and sent the update. I will try to upgrade as soon as possible.

Pe8er

Any ideas on how to eliminate noise? It seems to be audible only "around" bass notes - they have high pitched digital noise sounding artifacts.

My setup is Hidizs S9 > USB-A to USB-C cable > USB hub > MacBook. I figured out the hub is the culprit and I'm wondering what would help:

- shielded USB cable?
- balanced cable for headphones?

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I am having trouble having the S9 to work. I have it connected to my office laptop and although its being detected by Tidal windows app,, it does not play smoothly and the sound just keeps cutting off and resuming. Also, it does not get detected by Roon as an audio device anyways. Any ideas how i can get it to work.

It does get detected on Roon on my personal PC and runs smoothly there...

Thanks

ctakim

Forum Donor
Got the HIDIZS USB-C to Lightning adapter for the iPhone after waiting for about 3 weeks and thankfully that does work. So now I can use the HIDIZS S9 Balanced DAC/AMP with my iPhone, which is what I originally purchased it for. This is not a cheap solution in that the the unit costs $95 USD from AliExpress (with shipping) and the adapter costs $30 USD (with Shipping) from HifiGo, as AliExpress was sold out. So now I have a $125 replacement for the $9 Apple dongle! But how much better does it sound? Comparisons are ongoing (obviously not blinded!). More to follow!

Any ideas on how to eliminate noise? It seems to be audible only "around" bass notes - they have high pitched digital noise sounding artifacts.

My setup is Hidizs S9 > USB-A to USB-C cable > USB hub > MacBook.

I use a USB-A to USB-C cable as well but no USB hub to connect mine to a Mac Book and have zero noise issues.

smitten8

I use a USB-A to USB-C cable as well but no USB hub to connect mine to a Mac Book and have zero noise issues.

Same setup, just USB A to USB C cable without the use of a hub and not experiencing noise. But now that the S9 stopped stuttering after the firmware update, it crashes when I set Tidal to Max volume on the Mac desktop app.

Same setup, just USB A to USB C cable without the use of a hub and not experiencing noise. But now that the S9 stopped stuttering after the firmware update, it crashes when I set Tidal to Max volume on the Mac desktop app.

Thats odd. I am using Audirvana and Roon with zero issues.

smitten8

Hi, I am having trouble having the S9 to work. I have it connected to my office laptop and although its being detected by Tidal windows app,, it does not play smoothly and the sound just keeps cutting off and resuming. Also, it does not get detected by Roon as an audio device anyways. Any ideas how i can get it to work.

Thanks
Did you reach out to Hidizs support - most people who's had stuttering issues got them fixed thru that "special" firmware they shared.

smitten8

Got the HIDIZS USB-C to Lightning adapter for the iPhone after waiting for about 3 weeks and thankfully that does work. So now I can use the HIDIZS S9 Balanced DAC/AMP with my iPhone, which is what I originally purchased it for. This is not a cheap solution in that the the unit costs $95 USD from AliExpress (with shipping) and the adapter costs $30 USD (with Shipping) from HifiGo, as AliExpress was sold out. So now I have a $125 replacement for the $9 Apple dongle! But how much better does it sound? Comparisons are ongoing (obviously not blinded!). More to follow!
waiting for the USB C to lightning dongle / adapter too, sonic improvements on your iPhone ? I hope so cos it's pretty expensive!

Jazz

I ran out of USB C and USB A holes in my new Mac Mini M1 but decided to use the Hidizs S9 on it. So I plugged the included USB A adaptor into a AUKEY USB C Hub Ultra Slim USB C Adapter with 4 USB 3.0 Ports. Works fine. Running a keyboard (with mouse via keyboard) and battery back up linked to it too.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772TXG3H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a dumb question: Right now I just run a mini 3.5 mm to mini input or, mini to RCA splitter. But this Hidizs S9 dongle does have the smaller jack. Is there ANY reason (like better sound or whatever) to use the smaller jack other than for the very special headphones (I do not and never will own)? I will always use the Hidizs S9 for office stereo or car. Not headphones.

Veri

Master Contributor
Is there ANY reason (like better sound or whatever) to use the smaller jack other than for the very special headphones (I do not and never will own)? I will always use the Hidizs S9 for office stereo or car. Not headphones.
Not really. Small port has more power.

kamui

Looks like if you order the Hidizs S9 from AliExpress, you'll get the S9 Pro now. The box, packaging, and case don't mention "Pro" anywhere, but if you connect it to Windows and check the Device Manager, it's clearly labeled "Hidizs S9Pro". I contacted Hidizs for the latest firmware and their support asked me for the device name since they have different firmware for the Pro vs non Pro and needed to know which device I had to know which link to send me.

grauskala

Looks like if you order the Hidizs S9 from AliExpress, you'll get the S9 Pro now. The box, packaging, and case don't mention "Pro" anywhere, but if you connect it to Windows and check the Device Manager, it's clearly labeled "Hidizs S9Pro". I contacted Hidizs for the latest firmware and their support asked me for the device name since they have different firmware for the Pro vs non Pro and needed to know which device I had to know which link to send me.

That's sneaky because they are still advertising it as an AKM 4493EQ DAC on Aliexpress! It's also strange since their stock apparntly hasn't increased and they are still sold out on many other sites.
Luckily I still got the AKM version...

Steeveep

That's sneaky because they are still advertising it as an AKM 4493EQ DAC on Aliexpress! It's also strange since their stock apparntly hasn't increased and they are still sold out on many other sites.
I was just about to buy one. Is there much of a difference in sound between chips?

grauskala

It seems like the S9 Pro will use a ES9218 DAC chip. Probably no audible difference but the specs are lower if you look at other ES9218 DACs.

Hm, I actually just ordered the S9. I did some googling and I found this on a weibo.cn link with photos of the S9 Pro and claims the S9 Pro will use the ES9218 DAC chip instead of the AK4493 on the S9. Form factor from the photos look the same otherwise?

Shoaibexpert

Did you reach out to Hidizs support - most people who's had stuttering issues got them fixed thru that "special" firmware they shared.
Thanks, Ill contact them. If its a firmware installation on PC, my company PC wont allow it sue to security reasons anyways.
I am gathering the S9Pro doesnt have the AKM chip...and the ES9218 is inferior...or is it the opposite perhaps? I am sure mine doesnt say Pro...

grauskala

I am gathering the S9Pro doesnt have the AKM chip...and the ES9218 is inferior...or is it the opposite perhaps? I am sure mine doesnt say Pro...
Apparently you can only find out for certain what version you have if you check the DAC on your device manager. The official specs for the 4493 and the 9218 aren't that different, they are both integrated DACs geared towards the same use case. From what I know, in real-world application 4493 DACs have outshone 9218 DACs in terms of measurements.

mkawa

On the us site the s9 is sold out. A dirge for the venerable 4493 until akm rebuilds.. ;(

Bullwinkle J Moose

Thanks
It only stutters and cuts out on USB3 ports as far as I know and only if Windows is updated

Works on USB3 ports with fresh installs of Windows 8.1 and 10 only until you get MS updates, then it's hosed

Works fine on USB 2.0 ports

Top Bottom