• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

MrOtto

Hiby exclusive acces works better, but it won't start playing again if I change the headphone. I have to disconnect Hidizs and start playing on phone speaker, and the connect it again and allow it to go in exclusive mode, I think this is the procedure to make it play again on headphones.

MrOtto

Enabling exclusive access in HiBy only means telling it to use costum USB audio drajver instead OS one. For Tidal with costume driver check the UAPP.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro
You can download the very limited trial version from official developer site.
Regarding One+ it's apparently on the firmware (ROM) side, interesting to see how once very advanced and good tuned regarding firmware now become so bad and plagued with bug's (even worse than Samsung).

From developer site: "Note that you cannot use this driver to play or record audio in other apps " So it won't work playing music from Tidal app?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@MrOtto CS43131 has impedance detection and people use adapter to trick it with S8/Sonata HD Pro. Costume USB audio driver is packed in app so only app can use it including integrated services in it. Costume driver's exist because Android (iOS even more) one is rather limited. There are other apps with costume drivers; Shanling, Onkyo, FiiO, Neutron to name some. Told you what to use for Tidal it's not exactly cheap but it's good supported regarding development and at least I don't know other one.
Best regards.

MrOtto

I got a response from Hidizs, they say the S8 can't be expected to work with Tidal on an Android phone, just support with HiBy music app. Pretty lame.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor

0RF30

Lol and you trust those "support" line operators. :)
Download UAPP trial and find it for your self. ;)
https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/uapp-trial
If it doesn't want to download go with the direct link.
http://www.audio-evolution.com/downloads/USBAudioPlayerPROTrial_5.9.7.apk

+1
Tidal works perfectly fine with UAPP directly, or with Tidal account on Bubbleupnp outputted on UAPP upnp/dlna renderer if you prefer Bubbleupnp interface (I always use Bubbleupnp as bridge for everything, from streaming services to browsing my foobar upnp library on android phone as I don't like UAPP interface, plus UAPP doesn't support search function on Foobar upnp library).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
+1
Tidal works perfectly fine with UAPP directly, or with Tidal account on Bubbleupnp outputted on UAPP upnp/dlna renderer if you prefer Bubbleupnp interface (I always use Bubbleupnp as bridge for everything, from streaming services to browsing my foobar upnp library on android phone as I don't like UAPP interface, plus UAPP doesn't support search function on Foobar upnp library).
+2
I guess that you it could work and even with HiBy (Bubbleupnp outputted on upnp/dlna).

Question:

I've never owned a dongle DAC w/ built-in volume control, If you adjust the volume on the dongle does that changes the volume on the PC? or are they operate separately?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Question:

I've never owned a dongle DAC w/ built-in volume control, If you adjust the volume on the dongle does that changes the volume on the PC? or are they operate separately?

I think the answer to that depends on how the volume has been implemented on the dongle and how the USB drivers are configured.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No it doesn't (for Hidizs S8). Nor android or win 10.

I can change the volume with the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro on my PC with Windows 10 using the physical volume control. I would be surprised if that is different with the S8. I am using the manufacturer's driver. Not sure which version number.

Zerohour

I can change the volume with the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro on my PC with Windows 10 using the physical volume control. I would be surprised if that is different with the S8. I am using the manufacturer's driver. Not sure which version number.

You misunderstand. The question was basically "does changing the volume on the dongle also changes the slider on windows/android?" which is no, it doesn't change them. Its a separate control. You can max out the windows volume and control volume with the dongle buttons or max out the dongle volume buttons and control volume with windows volume slider.

brtsch

Hello,
when I connect my TempoTecSonata HD Pro or other dongles from my desktop PC to a Harman Kardon 750 Amplifier, I hear very audible and high hiss/ noise. When I connect from my laptop, it's perfectly silent.
Using various headphones from 16-600 ohm, connected from desktop PC, I hear no hiss from the dongle.
Adjusting volume on dongle or on PC does not help. The volume of the noise is lower, when I am playing music, but it is still there.
Why is the combination of desktop PC and Harman Kardon 750 generating the strange noise?
Thank you for suggestions!

brtsch

The PC works perfekt with Behringer DACs and other audio interfaces and HK amp. It really just is the combination PC-dongle-HK amp which is causing trouble. It's also fine with headphone amps duch as RA1 clones.

nat1

Are you supposed to leave the physical volume control on max if you want to use volume control in the OS? (Windows 10) And does it reset when unplugged?

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are you supposed to leave the physical volume control on max if you want to use volume control in the OS? (Windows 10) And does it reset when unplugged?
Yes, you should leave the volume control on the dongle turned all the way up. I don't have the S8, so I don't know the answer to your other question. I would assume it retains the volume setting.

0RF30

Hardware volume level is conserved if unplugged. I think, as often, it's preferable to set source volume to max and use amp volume control. But with S8, the hardware volume increments (steps) are so big you'll probably prefer use OS or player volume control. Try all ways, and see (hear) if you can tell a difference ;)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hardware volume level is conserved if unplugged. I think, as often, it's preferable to set source volume to max and use amp volume control. But with S8, the hardware volume increments (steps) are so big you'll probably prefer use OS or player volume control. Try all ways, and see (hear) if you can tell a difference ;)

Is it actually amp hardware volume control in the S8? Or is it digital attenuation of the signal before it is processed by the DAC? If the latter, wouldn't it be the same audio quality as using the OS volume control?

0RF30

Is it actually amp hardware volume control in the S8? Or is it digital attenuation of the signal before it is processed by the DAC? If the latter, wouldn't it be the same audio quality as using the OS volume control?

Very good question indeed... I'm going to check if I find the answer somewhere. S8 the same board as Tempotec sonata HD pro, right ?

Top Bottom