• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

blse59

My Sonata Pro came in and the sound is just pristine. On Amazon Music HD on Android (Pixel 3a) it says the device is capable of 24/48 when we know it can do more. Amazon has lots of Ultra HD music (24/192) and I'd like to play it at that rather than having it sampled down. Is there a way to get Amazon Music to recognize the max capacity?

elnan14

I'm getting the "USB device is NOT found!!" error when trying to flash my Sonada HD Pro with this firmware version. A quick search on this thread gave me a few hits but I couldn't find any solution. Did anybody find a fix for this? Thanks!

tempotec.PNG

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I think that's preliminary first revision of firmware which is shipped with the device in the first place...

MiloTheFirst

Hi guys, I was looking for a cheap headphone DAC/AMP and saw this one at the top of the DAC measurement chart, so I was wondering what the current general impression is on this device, at the end does it really perform as well as it measured or did amirm indeed get a golden sample? I was reading the earliest pages of this thread and apparently a lot of people were having compatibility issues, so I am not sure what to expect. back then the Sonata HD pro/S8 did not have any driver download or support but now the Hidizs site (https://www.hidizs.net/apps/help-center ) is listing one for the S8, has anyone here tried installing it?. I know it was confirmed that the HD pro and the S8 have the same PCB but could the former perhaps be locked to not be compatible with that driver?

I am really tight on money and it would be a god sent if I could get a good dac/amp for up to 100€, other suggestion would also be much appreciated, all I care about is performance, I don't need features at all just USB in and 3.5/6.3 out (actually 4.4 pentacon would be amazing but I don't expect it at this price) I intent to use this with my HD660S (150 ohm, SPL 104 dB ) and I don't plan on buying another pair for at least 3 years so I don't need it to deliver any more power than that, I intent to use this for both desktop (ideally foobar+ ASIO) and with my smartphone (USBAPP). some people were saying the S8 performed well as a standalone DAC but not as a headphone amplifier, but I have noticed most users in this forum test with either 300 ohm cans or IEMs, I don't think I have ever read an impression from someone using 150 ohm cans, could it perhaps work better for this spec?

I am really thankful for any feedback

MiloTheFirst

My Sonata Pro came in and the sound is just pristine. On Amazon Music HD on Android (Pixel 3a) it says the device is capable of 24/48 when we know it can do more. Amazon has lots of Ultra HD music (24/192) and I'd like to play it at that rather than having it sampled down. Is there a way to get Amazon Music to recognize the max capacity?
that's a forced limitation of android's system mixing console. when it comes to listening to music USBAPP changed my life, it lets you bypass the android driver and thus allows for bit perfect playback even with the internal DAC. however if you want to achieve the same with other apps such as amazon you might need to become savy at rooting

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@MiloTheFirst do you need balanced out? If so try with last version of E1DA. It's not 4.4 mm but 2.5 mm but what a heck. I wouldn't go for over 80 Ohm's can's with TempoTec Sonata HD Pro/Meizu Pro...

MiloTheFirst

@MiloTheFirst do you need balanced out? If so try with last version of E1DA. It's not 4.4 mm but 2.5 mm but what a heck. I wouldn't go for over 80 Ohm's can's with TempoTec Sonata HD Pro/Meizu Pro...

I wouldn't say I NEED balanced , but it just would be very nice to finally be able to test the pentacon cable that came included in the HD660s box. thanks for the heads up regarding the 80 ohm, I would normally also assume around 100 ohm tops, but according to amirm's test this is capable to deliver 2V and according to the math, 2V should give me 110db which is quite higher than I would feel comfortable listening. I will still keep it in mind, thanks

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I wouldn't say I NEED balanced , but it just would be very nice to finally be able to test the pentacon cable that came included in the HD660s box. thanks for the heads up regarding the 80 ohm, I would normally also assume around 100 ohm tops, but according to amirm's test this is capable to deliver 2V and according to the math, 2V should give me 110db which is quite higher than I would feel comfortable listening. I will still keep it in mind, thanks
Jes but there is always more things to complete for (EQ, DSD...) & a top of that it's nice to have a little headroom. For serious output power and that's pocket friendly in given price I am not aware of anything better than E1DA. Of course you will need 2.5 to 4.4 cable adapter & it's balanced only!
Regarding that talk to @IVX
Best regards.

blse59

that's a forced limitation of android's system mixing console. when it comes to listening to music USBAPP changed my life, it lets you bypass the android driver and thus allows for bit perfect playback even with the internal DAC. however if you want to achieve the same with other apps such as amazon you might need to become savy at rooting

Yep, this is what I'm finding out as I ask around the net. Android is still evolving. It hasn't reached the "enlightenment" stage with audio like Windows has. Cheers.

nyj585

I'm getting the "USB device is NOT found!!" error when trying to flash my Sonada HD Pro with this firmware version. A quick search on this thread gave me a few hits but I couldn't find any solution. Did anybody find a fix for this? Thanks!

Are you using the right VID and PID? If you go to events, it will give you the VID and PID for your specific device. You have to type those in order to get the firmware to install. Then you have to remove the DAC/Amp and replug it in and it will be called Bravo update or something like that. Then you click the Write EEPROM. I don't think the firmware any different than what it is shipped with though honestly. You're talking about the Firmware found on the Tempotec site correct as there aren't any on the HIDIZS site for the S8. Does anyone else have any info on that?

I have been having some issues on Android, but none with my desktop. It seems to mess up my phone if I unplug the headphones and the USB-DAC together. So for me, I have to plug the headphones into the HIDIZS S8, then plug in the S8 into my phone. But to remove the S8, I first take out the headphones then I take out the S8.

Still getting random disconnects when left idle too long or sometimes in the middle of just listening to music, but this is after 30 minutes plus of use. I don't quite know what causes it. Sometimes it lasts the whole listening session. I hope to get the bottom of this. In any case, reboots seem to solve it.

I have a feeling it has to do with the Android USB system. It's a shame they removed the USB configuration choice for audio source as I feel like that could be an easy fix to the situation.

Otherwise, it's a great DAC/Amp.

Zerohour

Hi guys, I was looking for a cheap headphone DAC/AMP and saw this one at the top of the DAC measurement chart, so I was wondering what the current general impression is on this device, at the end does it really perform as well as it measured or did amirm indeed get a golden sample? I was reading the earliest pages of this thread and apparently a lot of people were having compatibility issues, so I am not sure what to expect. back then the Sonata HD pro/S8 did not have any driver download or support but now the Hidizs site (https://www.hidizs.net/apps/help-center ) is listing one for the S8, has anyone here tried installing it?. I know it was confirmed that the HD pro and the S8 have the same PCB but could the former perhaps be locked to not be compatible with that driver?

I am really tight on money and it would be a god sent if I could get a good dac/amp for up to 100€, other suggestion would also be much appreciated, all I care about is performance, I don't need features at all just USB in and 3.5/6.3 out (actually 4.4 pentacon would be amazing but I don't expect it at this price) I intent to use this with my HD660S (150 ohm, SPL 104 dB ) and I don't plan on buying another pair for at least 3 years so I don't need it to deliver any more power than that, I intent to use this for both desktop (ideally foobar+ ASIO) and with my smartphone (USBAPP). some people were saying the S8 performed well as a standalone DAC but not as a headphone amplifier, but I have noticed most users in this forum test with either 300 ohm cans or IEMs, I don't think I have ever read an impression from someone using 150 ohm cans, could it perhaps work better for this spec?

I am really thankful for any feedback

What compatibility issue are you referring to? As long as your PC is Win10 and not screwed up in terms of audio drivers, it works fine. The S8 driver listed in that Hidizs link is the same one as the Tempotec version (you can see if you downloaded the file, the folder name is tempotec sonata). As for phones, the normal caveats of using a USB-C dongle with Android applies (certain app supports it, but buying UAPP is probably the best option).

Veri

Master Contributor
Anyone know if the Hidizs S8/Tempotec HD Pro uses a minimum phase or a linear phase filter?
If it uses the default filter, it will be a minimum phase/lowest latency one, presumable the "Fast" variant.

RedCometZero

No way to change it. But the default is fine.. :D
There is some reason to believe that the difference between minimum phase and linear phase is audible, and that linear phase is a better representation of the source signal. Not a HUGE deal, but I prefer linear phase filters for that reason.

Veri

Master Contributor
There is some reason to believe that the difference between minimum phase and linear phase is audible, and that linear phase is a better representation of the source signal. Not a HUGE deal, but I prefer linear phase filters for that reason.
A lot of phones and apple products for example are minimum phase. I can't hear a difference myself, either that or I am "used" to the low latency defaults of most DAC chips. But yes a sharp/linear phase filter is technically better.

Zarniwoop

What compatibility issue are you referring to? As long as your PC is Win10 and not screwed up in terms of audio drivers, it works fine.

It works fine, as long as your PC/laptop doesn't have latency issues, then it's a glitch/dropout fest.

Zarniwoop

I'd fix my PC first if it had latency issues;)

It seems to be a widespread issue with Windows 10. And something about this DAC makes it more susceptible to dropouts. I have zero dropouts on the same laptop with my other three dacs, just this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom