• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

madugo

It's a device firmware not a driver!
Edit: I hope you now understand error message.

OK sorry did not read it is the firmware.

In this case what does this firmware do to the hd pro? and how do we flash it if you know?

also I did install the Sonata HD driver, so far seems like it may resolved the half a second stuck problem, but when I open the sonata-hd audio CPL software, and under device it says not available, doe it only work for Sonata HD and not for the HD pro?

Sorry for all the dump questions, very new to all these.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor

In this case what does this firmware do to the hd pro? and how do we flash it if you know?

also I did install the Sonata HD driver, so far seems like it may resolved the half a second stuck problem, but when I open the sonata-hd audio CPL software, and under device it says not available, doe it only work for Sonata HD and not for the HD pro?

Well there's no description whatsoever what it does. Plug the dac in to pc and when it's connected duble click the exe firmware file it should do the flashing & soon you will find out. Do not uploag it while flashing processes is in progress!!!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

madugo

Mine came only with USB lead.

One thing I did that may have sorted my problem was plug in another USB sound card, which seemed to reinstall the Windows default USB audio driver. If you can find a way to uninstall and reinstall that it might work.

how often was your dropped out?

After installing the hd driver, it is still giving random drop outs, but seems like less often, but still very randomly. maybe once or twice a few mins or so..

Zarniwoop

how often was your dropped out?

After installing the hd driver, it is still giving random drop outs, but seems like less often, but still very randomly. maybe once or twice a few mins or so..

Sometimes once or twice every few minutes randomly, sometimes every few seconds. It was a nightmare, thankfully gone now. Hope you manage to solve it.

And yes, the firmware won't flash, most bizarre.

Last edited:

madugo

Sometimes once or twice every few minutes randomly, sometimes every few seconds. It was a nightmare, thankfully gone now. Hope you manage to solve it.

And yes, the firmware won't flash, most bizarre.

Can you help me to take a look at your device manager, and what driver is your HD pro using?

Mine is using the windows audio 2.0, drive date 06/20/2019, driver version 10.0.18362.207.

I try update, and search for other drivers, non can be find, windows 10 is most up to date.

I even tried to manual using the sonata HD's driver, it did load successfully but the driver is missing authorization from Windows, and after load this driver, the hd pro just cannot work entirely. so I had to reverse back to the audio 2.0 driver...

not sure what i can do at this point now...

Zarniwoop

Can you help me to take a look at your device manager, and what driver is your HD pro using?

Mine is using the windows audio 2.0, drive date 06/20/2019, driver version 10.0.18362.207.

I try update, and search for other drivers, non can be find, windows 10 is most up to date.

I even tried to manual using the sonata HD's driver, it did load successfully but the driver is missing authorization from Windows, and after load this driver, the hd pro just cannot work entirely. so I had to reverse back to the audio 2.0 driver...

not sure what i can do at this point now...

I just checked device manager and Sonata USB Audio is there, and the details are exactly as you've written above.

I nearly tore my hair out trying to fix this, disabling everything in device manager, disabling services, different usb leads, sockets, and on and on, and nothing fixed it, until it decided to fix itself.

I did notice there were zero dropouts or crackles on laptop battery power, can you test that?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

That CPL is only active when you are actively using it in ASIO mode...at least, that's the case for me on my Win10 PC.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Also, I took a look at that page and the firmware is shown as V1.0.

All the firmwares on that page start with a V1.x, V2.x, or V3.x. None start with V0.x, so I would assume that Tempotec simply posted the original firmware version after all this time.

EDIT: I just downloaded it and opened the .zip, and the .exe for the firmware in it is dated August 10, 2019, thereby confirming that it's just the firmware that the unit shipped with originally.

Zarniwoop

Also, I took a look at that page and the firmware is shown as V1.0.

All the firmwares on that page start with a V1.x, V2.x, or V3.x. None start with V0.x, so I would assume that Tempotec simply posted the original firmware version after all this time.

EDIT: I just downloaded it and opened the .zip, and the .exe for the firmware in it is dated August 10, 2019, thereby confirming that it's just the firmware that the unit shipped with originally.

This makes sense, but why would it throw up the error "USB device is NOT found!!"?

sejarzo

Forum Donor
This makes sense, but why would it throw up the error "USB device is NOT found!!"?

Do you have headphones or a headamp plugged into the 3.5mm output when you get that error? None of my 3 Win10 PC/laptops will recognize the Sonata HD Pro until something is plugged into the output jack!

Zarniwoop

Do you have headphones or a headamp plugged into the 3.5mm output when you get that error? None of my 3 Win10 PC/laptops will recognize the Sonata HD Pro until something is plugged into the output jack!

Yep, tried flashing with and without headphones/amp plugged in. It's moot anyway as it's the same firmware that's already installed.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
What is really strange is if I plug the Sonata HD Pro using a dongle-type short USB cable into the hub under my monitor, with nothing attached, Win10 doesn't see it. If I then plug in a 3.5mm extension cable--with NOTHING attached to the other end--Win10 immediately sees it. That suggests there's a switch in the jack, because it can't be sensing the impedance of headphones or an amp on the output.

There are a lot of quirks with this one.

Zarniwoop

What is really strange is if I plug the Sonata HD Pro using a dongle-type short USB cable into the hub under my monitor, with nothing attached, Win10 doesn't see it. If I then plug in a 3.5mm extension cable--with NOTHING attached to the other end--Win10 immediately sees it. That suggests there's a switch in the jack, because it can't be sensing the impedance of headphones or an amp on the output.

Yes, this has been mentioned earlier. I actually find this useful as it puts the DAC into high-power mode and lets me get more power to my 30 Ohm headphones.

madugo

I just checked device manager and Sonata USB Audio is there, and the details are exactly as you've written above.

I nearly tore my hair out trying to fix this, disabling everything in device manager, disabling services, different usb leads, sockets, and on and on, and nothing fixed it, until it decided to fix itself.

I did notice there were zero dropouts or crackles on laptop battery power, can you test that?

Thanks for checking, so it may not be the driver issue then...

will check tomorrow with battery running on the laptop..

This is so frustrating as the whole reason I bought the HD pro is for the laptop to use...

Zerohour

Ah, glad Tempotec is finally acknowledging this device actually exists then. Hopefully they refine the volume button step for a next firmware if there will be one. Haven't had much issue with it on my Win10 PC other than that.

Zarniwoop

The one thing that annoys me is the load impedance detection and triggering of low-power mode for low impedance headphones. I find it's not enough to power my Philips Fidelio X2HR (30Ω) to the desired levels. I have to leave the cable disconnected from the headphones while plugging the DAC in to get full power.

staticV3

Master Contributor

The Meizu dongles show the same behavior whereas the dongle is recognized only after you plug in a cable (doesn't matter which type, extension works as well).
However, I am fairly certain that there isn't actually a mechanical switch inside the headphone jack. While I don't know for sure, my best guess is that, since a typical 3.5mm jack has two contacts per plug contact inside it, one on each side, maybe these dongles can sense when these two prongs touch "each other" through the plug between them.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The Meizu dongles show the same behavior whereas the dongle is recognized only after you plug in a cable (doesn't matter which type, extension works as well).
However, I am fairly certain that there isn't actually a mechanical switch inside the headphone jack. While I don't know for sure, my best guess is that, since a typical 3.5mm jack has two contacts per plug contact inside it, one on each side, maybe these dongles can sense when these two prongs touch "each other" through the plug between them.
It's a tiristor inside CS43131 IC.

Top Bottom