• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Asylum Seeker

Yes but those won't be a dongle sized.

I was talking about the source/transport device, as in the battery power of, say, a smartphone. If the computer causes you noise, cut off the computer.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I was talking about the source/transport device, as in the battery power of, say, a smartphone. If the computer causes you noise, cut off the computer.
I don't think that's the complete solution & it certainly ain't design solution. Both separate power line in and battery on the device (as that's actually cheaper than authending power line in properly) should be implemented on the device.

Asylum Seeker

I don't think that's the complete solution & it certainly ain't design solution. Both separate power line in and battery on the device (as that's actually cheaper than authending power line in properly) should be implemented on the device.
What I am trying to determine is whether I should worry about the noise because I don't use a computer at all for music reproduction/listening.

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have little to no idea what you all are talking about, but I noticed that the non-Pro is advertised as having this and the Pro isn't:

meizu.png

What's the significance of it?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got my S8, was playing with it today. The volume steps are indeed too large, so I use the next louder and attenuate a bit on software, so it works ok.
Sounds really good so far. I am going to compare to the SMSL Idea next few days and see if the upgraded was worth it, I already think it was but let's see (hear).

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, after some back and forth between SMSL Idea and Hidizs S8 using the Audeze LCDi3 I hear a difference, but I would lying it I said it is huge. It is a little cleaner sounding, but that is listening to high res well recorded music and searching for differences. I don't know how I would fare to a blind test with them.

I only managed to play up to DSD128 DoP on JRiver, while the Idea went to DSD256.

By the way, why are the buttons and text not reversed? Connected to a notebook or to a phone, isn't the 3.5mm plug always facing down?
IMG_20200217_082230 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Good news. Tempotec Sonata HD Pro arrived today. So I will measure it vs S8 soon.

Interesting to see how much it will be normal run to run variation/fluctuation, especially in terms of noise/interference, or if one will be better throughout :)

Asylum Seeker

I would be interested in a ranking based on measured performance of all these battery-powered, source-powered 'Dongle/Thumb Drive DAC-Amps' discussed here so far.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I would be interested in a ranking based on measured performance of all these battery-less, source-powered 'Dongle/Thumb Drive DAC-Amps' discussed here so far.
You can filter on the measurement Index, for example on Headphone Dongle and Thumb Drive DAC. There's no real "ranking" though, only whether it's recommended or not.

Asylum Seeker

You can filter on the measurement Index, for example on Headphone Dongle and Thumb Drive DAC. There's no real "ranking" though, only whether it's recommended or not.
Sorry. I meant to say, 'battery-powered', not 'battery-less'.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I right in thinking the bulk of these source powered USB dongle thingies perform differently depending on what they are plugged into? Therefore measurements taken when powered from a laptop USB (different power depending on USB protocol even then?) compared to phone X and tablet Y will vary? Making the whole exercise of buying one of these something of a lucky dip?

Asylum Seeker

Am I right in thinking the bulk of these source powered USB dongle thingies perform differently depending on what they are plugged into? Therefore measurements taken when powered from a laptop USB (different power depending on USB protocol even then?) compared to phone X and tablet Y will vary? Making the whole exercise of buying one of these something of a lucky dip?
I think you are on to something. I do not use a PC or laptop for music reproduction so I wonder what the testing here means for using these gadgets with a tablet or smartphone.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
So here quick measurements Hidizs S8 vs Tempotec Sonata HD Pro in DAC mode.

Hidizs S8:
s8_dac_.png

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro:
sonata_dac_.png

I see little difference in level and run to run variations.
My conclusion: they are the same device in different packages.

Asylum Seeker

So here quick measurements Hidizs S8 vs Tempotec Sonata HD Pro in DAC mode.

Hidizs S8:
View attachment 51033

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro:
View attachment 51034

I see little difference in level and run to run variations.
My conclusion: they are the same device in different packages.
So far so good? What about THD vs. Power and Output Impedance?

urfaust

I recieved the Sonata pro this morning also. Unfortunetly the box is missing the lightning cable. I cannot update the firmware so far ("usb device not found")

urfaust

As far as I'm aware there is no firmware to update for the Tempotec Sonata Pro
Ah thanks, i thought the firmaware on tempotec website was for both Pro and non pro. Still weird there s a missing cable.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ah thanks, i thought the firmaware on tempotec website was for both Pro and non pro. Still weird there s a missing cable.

The Windows driver for the non Pro works for the Pro and allowed me to use the ASIO driver in Foobar for high rez files that were not playing correctly using WASAPI event or push. Still not 100% sure why those files wouldn't play using WASAPI because none of my other DACs had a problem with changing the sample rate.

Top Bottom