• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies for going a bit off topic but, to the headphone nerds out there, what ~US100 earbuds would complement the S8 nicely? Something that outperforms the stock Samsung Galaxy AKG-tuned earbuds. Would the 1More Triple Driver fit the bill?
I've been using the KEF M100 for about 8 months and am very happy with them. They are recently discontinued and now are on clearance pricing. The cable is 100% non-microphonic, they have withstood some very strong accidental tugs on the cable and they fit well and stay in my ears. The silicon earpiece fits over a ridge so they don't slide off easily when removing them. They come in several colors.
https://us.kef.com/headphones/hi-fi/m100-in-ear-headphones.html
https://www.newegg.com/titanium-grey-kef-m100-in-ear/p/0TH-01FY-00003
m100_exploded_1.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just curious, will the S8 do well for line out duties?
Sure. That is how I measured it. It has a lower impedance than a typical line out which is a good thing, not bad (although not material most of the time for line out).

vitalii427

Forum Donor
As you can see, at resistive load 33ohm, the curve never goes lower than 87db=.004% i.e. 20 times worse vs no load. BTW, at the real headphones load, it should be worse. Meizu HiFi DAC Pro at the same load has .001%, and the power is noticeable higher.
index.php

For these sweeps I had to use the standard interface which truncated to 16 bits. So don't run with the distortion metrics.

AnimeWasAMistake

the tempotech sonata HD Pro on aliexpress looks suspiciously similar, would anyone with both of them care to chime in?

vitalii427

Forum Donor
16bit has THD+N .0015% limit, 3x times lower.
There’s no sign of distortion on that graph. It’s noise. But on the Meizu graph it is a bit lower sure.

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Despite the very good numbers on SINAD if I wanted to question the duration of the battery on the mobile phone ..... how long will it last draining the dongle at 2V voltage even with efficient IEM .... 45 minutes with headphones, 2-3 hrs with an IEM I guess?? .... At the end, the real use of this dongle (dongles in general) is at least questionable.

Time to release phones with 2 USB slots. For simultaneous charging and dac/amp-dongling. Let the race for highest number of USB slots begin! :D

Yaniv

How does tthe s8 compares to topping nx4?
Does the form factor has any influence on the sound?
Assuming ~50ohm headphones.
are there topical pros and cons to dongle vs portable like topping nx4?

AnimeWasAMistake

Apologies for going a bit off topic but, to the headphone nerds out there, what ~US100 earbuds would complement the S8 nicely? Something that outperforms the stock Samsung Galaxy AKG-tuned earbuds. Would the 1More Triple Driver fit the bill?
I don't understand the AKG tuned part, doesn't Samsung own harman and harman owns AKG, the tuned by AKG shit doesn't make sense, but galaxy buds r a step up and r wireless if you need that or if you want wired, mh755 with either a cable swap or mmcx mod

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's down to $27 on TB btw
There is one customer review of the Sonata HD Pro on TaoBao that claims that mechanical
quality is not good and after four monthsthe Sonata HD Pro died. I hope it is ok to post the link.
Is it likely that the Snonata and HIDIZS are manufactured in the same factory? Different casing, same jacks...?

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://world.taobao.com/item/606258425485.htm?spm=a21wu.12321156-tw.0.0.4b1176e6A7i5XH

Last edited:

AnimeWasAMistake

There is one customer review of the Sonata HD Pro on TaoBao that claims that mechanical
quality is not good and after four monthsthe Sonata HD Pro died. I hope it is ok to post the link.
Is it likely that the Snonata and HIDIZS are manufactured in the same factory? Different casing, same jacks...?

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://world.taobao.com/item/606258425485.htm?spm=a21wu.12321156-tw.0.0.4b1176e6A7i5XH
i think it might be the same internally since both have usb micro b input and 3.5mm output, have similar dimensions and hidizs has already used tempotec as a OEM(specifically with the sonata dac cable thing)

Palex

Zorloo Zuperdac-s - they are almost all relatives)))

Amirm has made the review - at once has ordered HIDIZS S 8 for 77 dollars.
Dear Amirm, it isn't necessary to put often an appreciation, I can't buy everything)))))))
NB! There is a Wisdom - "Not all gold that shines", Dear Amirm constantly confirms this thought!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    395.7 KB · Views: 424
  • 2.png
    2.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:

PaPoMusik

Hi everyone

I am new here, so first of all, I want to congratulate Amir and all those who make the existence of this excellent Forum possible.

I would like to know if the HIDIZS S8 USB-C headset adapter or the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro can function like the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter.

It is to be used with my iPad, as a streaming with Amazon Music HD, connected to my Emotiva XMC -1 A / V processor.

bobbooo

Major Contributor

Before you spend another $100, try these EQ settings with your Samsung earphones. You can use the parametric equalizer in Neutron Player (free trial here). You might be surprised what good EQ settings can do.

IVX means that this product is good as dac(line out) but not as HPA, even Meizu hd pro is better. Am I understood the right way? So, Amir recommended this product as dac(line out) only???

pii75

A general question on the volume control of these DAC...
Is the DAC hardware volume control recognized by software? I would like to use it as line out for a raspberry volumio player and be able to use DAC hardware volume remotely from the web interface, instead of using DAC buttons

Top Bottom