• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Johnb

IVX,
Amir measured much poorer S/N on Meizu Pro model. I am wondering if there are different modes on Meizu (both Pro and non-pro)., setable in firmware or software similar to Hidizs hifi mode, microphone mode, etc or ability to change filter type? There has to be an explanation for the difference in Amir's measurements as I suspect that Sonata HD Pro and Meizu Hifi (non pro) are just the naked chip output?

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Regarding different results of Meizu HiFi DAC Pro measurement, I think the issue could be in a different USB 5V power rail quality. Such a compact DACs has near to zero caps on that rail and 5V rail isn't filtered at all, hence, the USB host 5V quality may affect a lot to the measurements. Or, maybe CS43131 has different THD grade as well, for example, I didn't see <-120db harmonics on my Meizu HiFi DAC non-Pro even no load, rther -115db i.e. as it claimed in the datasheet.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
ZolaIII
I swear, I still have no idea about you talking. If you really need to I understand your point, please help me.
Never mind... You said you measured up to 115 dB THD+N on non pro Meizu, that there's no whatsoever secondary buffer on it & I bought it (what you said). It turns out how output measurement is to strong for that to be a case (output straight) & people measure lot less (THD+N). Also lots of people complained around hire how there are problems with it regarding certain sampling rates which Pro doesn't have. In short that would be it.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
IVX,
Amir measured much poorer S/N on Meizu Pro model. I am wondering if there are different modes on Meizu (both Pro and non-pro)., setable in firmware or software similar to Hidizs hifi mode, microphone mode, etc or ability to change filter type? There has to be an explanation for the difference in Amir's measurements as I suspect that Sonata HD Pro and Meizu Hifi (non pro) are just the naked chip output?
Well if the Sonata HD Pro is a Hidizs S8 than obviously there's a secondary amp present. It's actually interesting that it gives more on 300 Ohm's load & less at 33 compared to Meizu Pro. We need a teardown to see which amp it is but Hidizs/TT is heavy glued...
I am not convinced even that Meizu HiFi (non pro) doesn't have some kind of it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have ordered the S8 and might take it apart if:
  • Amir hasn't reviewed the Sonata Pro at that point
  • Someone has a Sonata Pro that he would take apart (would be useless otherwise)
  • It doesn't sound any better than my 9038S or even my Meizu Pro

Koeitje

Major Contributor

IVX

Major Contributor
Koeitje
yeah, it should be about 5x5mm, however, Cirrus solution has a higher performance, and the same time easily fit into Meizu HiFi DAC, and seems nobody needs even smaller, right? Single-chip combo also offers realtek - ALC4050, VERY cheap even if you think it is a bridge only, however, there are ADC/DAC(soso quality), HPA, noise-canceling etc. 64KB flash onboard 6x6mm QFN $1.3-1.5/pcs if buy a reel 4900pcs. With switched Off DAC/ADC, USB bridge itself eats just 18mA from 5V, and the chip needs ONLY single 5V rail +4 decoupling caps and one 6.2K res. If compare with savitech sa9302, which needs 2pcs external voltage regulators(LDO + PWM buck converter for 1.8V/100mA!), external 24c256, external 12MHz, amateurs RCD reset and a lot of decoupling caps, ALC4050 looks like extraterrestrial tech and for 1/3 price ;)

Zerohour

Koeitje
yeah, it should be about 5x5mm, however, Cirrus solution has a higher performance, and the same time easily fit into Meizu HiFi DAC, and seems nobody needs even smaller, right? Single-chip combo also offers realtek - ALC4050, VERY cheap even if you think it is a bridge only, however, there are ADC/DAC(soso quality), HPA, noise-canceling etc. 64KB flash onboard 6x6mm QFN $1.3-1.5/pcs if buy a reel 4900pcs. With switched Off DAC/ADC, USB bridge itself eats just 18mA from 5V, and the chip needs ONLY single 5V rail +4 decoupling caps and one 6.2K res. If compare with savitech sa9302, which needs 2pcs external voltage regulators(LDO + PWM buck converter for 1.8V/100mA!), external 24c256, external 12MHz, amateurs RCD reset and a lot of decoupling caps, ALC4050 looks like extraterrestrial tech and for 1/3 price ;)

ALC4050 as good as the CS43131 as standalone dongle chip? saw quite a few sellers for dongle using this cheap

IVX

Major Contributor
Not really, as I said ALC4050 DAC/ADC just so-so. As told me realtek agent in SHZ, it is for a budget dongle, about $5/pcs. For me that chip interesting only like USB/I2S bridge 32/384 +DSD256 with 5pcs 0402 surrounding, and 18mA current.
2020-01-12_19-57-46.png

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now we have High End in remarkebly small devices. I once modded a 2nd generation CD-Player with SPDIF out
SPDIF was NOT on Board, I had to use a DIT4096 transmitter from TI to generate SPDIF from Data - L/R Clock and Bitclock.
So, question:
Are there any small devices to generate USB from SPDIF and mimic an Android / IOS / Windows device?
Nothing fancy needed, just plain 16/44.1 at full scale.
Because the E1DA9038, Hidizs or Sonate fit everywhere and could upgrade the early machines...

magicscreen

This is only 89$ !!!
The fools who bought the THX AAA 789 and the other expensive amps.

Top Bottom