• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

deafenears

Forum Donor
So the Hidizs would be equivalent to the Sonata HD non pro, with an ADC so using a mic is possible ?
Yeah, the spec sheet mentions support for a microphone.
H8a007b729a9b480c88e41fa997061f04T.jpg

H6a186d8dbc6042f7a4cb527d069f81c0g.jpg

The Tempotec says no though.
H618044128d684a42ab69a1a48a64dfbbI.jpg

Timbo2

@amirm can you throw a USB meter on this and measure the current draw? For example from memory my Sabaj Da3 pulls something like 350mA and will noticeably reduce the battery life compared to the supplied USB DAC with my phone.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

deafenears

Forum Donor
The specs of CS43131 DAC and amp chip are quite impressive.

https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs43131/

CS43131
Channel(s) Out 2​
Resolution (bits) 32​
Dynamic Range (dB) 130​
THD+N (dB) -115​
Sample Rate (kHz) 384​
Analog Power Supply (V) 1.8​
Digital Power Supply (V) 1.8​
Operational Power Consumption (mW) 6.25-40.2​
Output Level (Vrms) 2​
Package 40 QFN; 42 WLCSP​

AK4499EQ
Number of Channels 4ch​
Output architecture Current​
Resolution 32-bit​
THD+N -124dB​
DR, S/N 134dB; 140dB (Mono Mode)​
Sampling Rate 8 to 768kHz​
DSD Input 22.4MHz​
VELVET SOUND​
Low Distortion Technology Yes​
LSI Process for Audio Yes​
Non-Magnetic Pkg Yes​
“Sound Color” Digital Filters 6 types​
Power Consumption 667mW​
Power Supply Analog : 4.75 to 5.25V; Digital : 1.7 to 3.6V​
Operation Temperature Range -40 to +85°C​
Package 128-pin HTQFP​
AK4497EQ
Number of Channels 2ch​
Output architecture Voltage​
Resolution 32-bit​
THD+N -124dB​
DR, S/N 128dB; 131dB (Mono Mode)​
Sampling Rate 8 to 768kHz​
DSD Input 22.4MHz​
VELVET SOUND​
Low Distortion Technology Yes​
LSI Process for Audio Yes​
Non-Magnetic Pkg Yes​
“Sound Color” Digital Filters 6 types​
Power Consumption 346mW​
Power Supply Analog : 4.75 to 5.25V; Digital : 1.7 to 3.6V​
Operation Temperature Range -40 to +85°C​
Package 64-pin TQFP​

bidn

Thank you for this review, Amir!
Unbelievable such a top sound quality in such a really tiny and cheap device!

Amazing how inexpensive state of the art is becoming!

It's $41 today on Aliexpress! !

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_6,searchweb201603_53

Thank you very much for the link. If you click on the button for visiting their store, they give 3% discount. I ordered one, the total cost to the Netherlands was about € 40.
This micro DAC has volume buttons, this is what I said I wanted in the E1DAC thread (and the reason why I eventually did not order the E1DAC, although I almost did), as I don't like to use a device's display for adapting the volume. I hope it has more volume increments than the stock Android, and will be Plug'n Play with Android, linux and Microsoft.

Have a nice week end,
bidn

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@deafenears I know, but impressive given that it is a low power chip with included amp. Not fair to compare with desktop chips with no power savings needed.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
So the Hidizs would be equivalent to the Sonata HD non pro, with an ADC so using a mic is possible ?
It's the same & all the three firmwares are the same.
Sonata iDSD Pro = Hidizs HD1000,
Sonata HD = Hidizs Sonata II,
Sonata HD Pro = Hidizs Sonata 8.
With minor cosmetic differences only in all three cases.

Lacas

Hi Amir,
Thx for the great review :) very very tempting device... I cannot stand to order one... I have the Meizu Hifi Pro, and that is already sounding very nice ;)

Please ask for a Lotoo PAW S1 sample for testing ;) that also seems very interesting based on the performance of their high end DAPs
https://porta-fi.com/tokyo-headphone-festival-2019-autumn-report/6/
2X AK4377+OPA1622, 3,5 SE+4,4 balanced out, volume buttons, PEQ

deafenears

Forum Donor
@deafenears I know, but impressive given that it is a low power chip with included amp. Not fair to compare with desktop chips with no power savings needed.
Wasn't implying anything, just copying and pasting for comparison. I'd include ESS too but they don't really provide much.

But yesh, you're right, focus seems to be on low power consumption! I'd be interested in @Timbo2 's comment on USB power meter.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Wow this is pretty incredible, even for the price. You could just have this device and nothing else for many headphones.... If you wanted to use an Amp you could always just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and leave it at that...

headwhacker

Forum Donor
do you mind sharing that discount coupon, please? :)
I did not use any coupon. There was a "seller savings discount" applied to the final price after hitting the "Confirm Order" button. YMMV.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But how much SNR do you need on a plane? ;);) (I know you also mean to use during the time away)
On plane, I need more output than my tablet can produce. I usually listen at max volume and with IEMs it still not quite loud enough.

After I made an order, everybody said Tempotec's stuff is the same.:confused: Should I cancel the order for saving 30$?
Anyway, I will keep the order for certainty.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
CS43131 isn't really expensive DAC, as I see it is about $8, the same as ES9038Q2M 6 months ago(now it's $4 if buy >500).
Guys, I don't understand why the tempotec Sonata HD Pro DAC is the same if its power is only 1/2? Sonata HD Pro looks like Meizu HiFi DAC with 30mW of output power @32ohm, and that Meizu even cheaper($20 with CS43131) + much more compact, and for sure less idle current(tempotec is always on savitech 2011 USB bridges, which are most archaic on the market). In my opinion Meizu HiFi DAC #1 in the 30mW range DAC+HPA, and I see no reason to buy but Hidizs Sonata 8 60mW.
PS: PS: regarding the noise performance, any AP analyzers sucks vs CS43131, hence, APx555 need really low-noise preamp to measure S/N and DR of modern DACs. I made 120nVRMS A-w preamp for such low-noise cases and found CS43131(my Meizu HiFi DAC non-Pro i.e. without buffer opamp) output_noise/2VRMS -130.5db A-weighted.

Last edited:

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
OOh, I found the test of Meizu HiFi DAC Pro, and I see now it is up to 80mW! My Meizu HiFi DAC non-Pro has just 30mW@32ohm, next it goes to clipping hard. Interesting that Meizu has simply the same specs for the pro and non-pro DACs but seems opa1622 in the Pro version as the buffer makes output power 2x times more. Yes, probably HIDIZS S8/ Sonata HD Pro is the same thing, in that case, Meizu HiFi DAC is still #1 for all respects.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If there ever was a 'Golden Sample" - this could be it Perhaps @WolfX-700 could run a purchased sample, and take another shot at the ESS hump issue...

Come on. Are there real, documented cases of this happening? Or happening here with Amir’s measurements? I know of cases where the insides of products have been “prettied up” for photo shoots, but nothing where the actual performance of the unit has been changed. Belief in that seems like paranoia.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
OOh, I found the test of Meizu HiFi DAC Pro, and I see now it is up to 80mW! My Meizu HiFi DAC non-Pro has just 30mW@32ohm, next it goes to clipping hard. Interesting that Meizu has simply the same specs for the pro and non-pro DACs but seems opa1622 in the Pro version as the buffer makes output power 2x times more. Yes, probably HIDIZS S8/ Sonata HD Pro is the same thing, in that case, Meizu HiFi DAC is still #1 for all respects.
Well according to user's Meizu HiFi DAC is plagued with problems so it ain't good choice for anyone. You mislead me before with your measurements which somehow are very different from other people's. Lots of manufacturers use Savitech (FiiO, Shanling...) for the price i persum. Between the Meizu Pro and the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro for the same price tle later wins hands down when you count in life spin (due it's exchangeable cable nature).

Top Bottom