• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Sean Ku

OK, got some news.

I send email to Hidizs to tell 'em about this "clicks" and "rings" problems, and 1 day later i got an answer!
They asked me if i can record the sound where they can hear this noises. Of course, i can, being a recording engineer )
So i did, and sent audio to Hidizs, now waiting for their answer on a problem.
Did you ever hear back from them on this? Mine cracks between tracks when the sample rate changes. It also cracks when paused. The crack seems to hit my tweeters at max volume.

zvukofor

Did you ever hear back from them on this? Mine cracks between tracks when the sample rate changes. It also cracks when paused. The crack seems to hit my tweeters at max volume.
Yeap. They asked if i have any purchase documents, or if i purchased directly from them...i did not, and i have lost documents, so... i guess they wanted to replace the unit, as firmware upgrade they've sent me did not worked.

Anyway, i've got E1DA 9038D instead and i'm happy right now, it sounds better than really expensive interfaces at studio i work at, so this small wonder is my main monitoring path. Support is great - it is a product of a man with a passion for his job, i love it.

Sean Ku

Yeap. They asked if i have any purchase documents, or if i purchased directly from them...i did not, and i have lost documents, so... i guess they wanted to replace the unit, as firmware upgrade they've sent me did not worked.

Anyway, i've got E1DA 9038D instead and i'm happy right now, it sounds better than really expensive interfaces at studio i work at, so this small wonder is my main monitoring path. Support is great - it is a product of a man with a passion for his job, i love it.
Thanks for your reply.

john111

Hi. Do you have any thoughts on the HIDIZS S9 PRO. Sales on amazon seem to indicate build quality is poor, actual sound quality is good.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Hi. Do you have any thoughts on the HIDIZS S9 PRO. Sales on amazon seem to indicate build quality is poor, actual sound quality is good.
What do you think when you say build quality? They changed OEM for S9 (which could be bad regarding software support as TT actually has a good track record regarding that). If you by any mean though about USB OTG cables welcome to the world of USB dongles (where you will really hard find a deacent replacement one and delivered one's would at best be not bad).

john111

What do you think when you say build quality? They changed OEM for S9 (which could be bad regarding software support as TT actually has a good track record regarding that). If you by any mean though about USB OTG cables welcome to the world of USB dongles (where you will really hard find a deacent replacement one and delivered one's would at best be not bad).

Good point. Any information about the actual sound quality compared to the s8? Moving from s8 to s9 does this indicate an upgrade in sound quality, or is it features bells and whistles

chi2

Forum Donor
Good point. Any information about the actual sound quality compared to the s8? Moving from s8 to s9 does this indicate an upgrade in sound quality, or is it features bells and whistles
Have S8, S9, and S9 Pro. Sound quality with in-ears to me is identical (and great). They only differ with regard to more demanding full size headphones where S9 and S9 Pro have more juice and don't clip or clip at higher levels than S8.
Edit: This is especially true for balanced operation.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Nope if you don't need more power and that only trogh balanced.
There are better dongles like Luxury and Precision W2 which pushes in both directions lo unbalanced load THD+N (+5~6 dB) and balanced out (still on the dongle side regarding max voltage) that costs 300$. With very sensitive lo impedance earphones/hedaphones and not listening loud it could be hear able (retaining higher SNR on very lo output under 50 mV) but only in such specific case you may be able to possibly hear difrence. On the other hand with SINAD of 105 dB Sonata HD Pro (47$) or HiBy R3Pro (CS43131) DAP (200$) are really good enough (from portable ones).

Kevbaz

I'm looking to get another Hidizs S8, Amazon UK Hidizs Store no longer has the Hidizs S8 in stock. Does anyone know what the most official way is to get a Hidizs S8 in the UK is it hidizs.net ?
I dont want to get the S9 as I like the volume buttons on the S8 :)
Cheers
Kev

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm looking to get another Hidizs S8, Amazon UK Hidizs Store no longer has the Hidizs S8 in stock. Does anyone know what the most official way is to get a Hidizs S8 in the UK is it hidizs.net ?
Cheers
Kev
The S8 is no longer being produced and so stock is sizzling out slowly.
All I could find is the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro on Tempotec's website: https://www.tempotec.net/products/h...ype-c-to-3-5mm-adapter-dac-portable-audio-out

It's the exact same PCB as the S8, just in a slightly different shell.

Kevbaz

Cheers
Kev
Cheers
Kev
Is this what you are looking for??

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have ordered a Topping G5 and plan to sell my black S8. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

I’m in the US.

Kevbaz

Is this what you are looking for??

Hi Dirk,
Thanks for the above, I managed to order an s8 direct from Hidiz, was cheaper than what they were on Amazon. Delivery was pretty quick also.
Cheers
Kev

john11

Is this dongle okay for using as a line in device, rather than a headphone only device, and still maintain the good sound quality.
I mean it is designed for headphones, but what about connecting it to the line-in on an amplifier. I've had a few laptops in my time and i have connected the headphone output of my laptop to my amp and it works fine.
Not sure, have done a search and it says it can be done with some hardware, but not sure if it degrades sound quality.
Thanks

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
mean it is designed for headphones, but what about connecting it to the line-in on an amplifier.
You can do that without issues.
For XLR Amps, some care should be put into the adapter's wiring Layout, but for RCA Amps, any 3.5mm to 2x RCA adapter off Amazon or eBay will do the trick.

brandall10

Is this dongle okay for using as a line in device, rather than a headphone only device, and still maintain the good sound quality.
I mean it is designed for headphones, but what about connecting it to the line-in on an amplifier. I've had a few laptops in my time and i have connected the headphone output of my laptop to my amp and it works fine.
Not sure, have done a search and it says it can be done with some hardware, but not sure if it degrades sound quality.
Thanks

That's the only way I've used mine, as a line out to a KSE-1200 amp.

Top Bottom