• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

urfaust

Ordered one too, delivered to France it says 30 January for me. Frankly it's more the convenience of the controls compared to the Apple dongle than the sinad (i hate having to reach those tiny buttons of the phone), but this is welcomed too :D
It's a good time to be an audio enthusiast!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Now we have High End in remarkebly small devices. I once modded a 2nd generation CD-Player with SPDIF out
SPDIF was NOT on Board, I had to use a DIT4096 transmitter from TI to generate SPDIF from Data - L/R Clock and Bitclock.
So, question:
Are there any small devices to generate USB from SPDIF and mimic an Android / IOS / Windows device?
Nothing fancy needed, just plain 16/44.1 at full scale.
Because the E1DA9038, Hidizs or Sonate fit everywhere and could upgrade the early machines...
Some quick research gave disappointing results. S/PDIF to USB converters do exist, but only in the professional world and not at all made for audio stuff.
The best option for what you are trying to achieve is still the Khadas Toneboard for $99. It accepts S/PDIF via RCA.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Has anybody besides me noticed this?
3D4E99DD-0433-4A9F-9886-5F1911777D91.jpeg
29D8007C-9E6E-4A8F-8F79-FBD80679D2C6.jpeg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why the quoted spec is only 0.002%?

Zerohour

Not really, as I said ALC4050 DAC/ADC just so-so. As told me realtek agent in SHZ, it is for a budget dongle, about $5/pcs. For me that chip interesting only like USB/I2S bridge 32/384 +DSD256 with 5pcs 0402 surrounding, and 18mA current.
View attachment 45587

ah, gotcha, I missed that part since I just skimmed through your post.

couldn't resist a possible bargain with the Tempotec, so ordered that instead of the S8. Meizu Pro seems much more brilliant having similar power with a dongle form, but I suppose that comes with the price.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

bidn

In addition to ordering the Tempotec HD Pro, I have now also ordered the Hidizs S8 Double.
aliexpress says that the Sonata will be shipped within 3 days and the Hidizs within 23 (1) days, although it shows it as being in stock.

I still wonder if the Tempotec HD Pro would also have a double DAC, as the aliexpress page has a table saying that its type is "split", which might be a bad translation for double? (versus the Sonata HD non-Pro, for which the type is : "integrated").

I still wonder if the Tempotec HD Pro would also have a double DAC, as the aliexpress page has a table saying that its type is "split", which might be a bad translation for double? (versus the Sonata HD non-Pro, for which the type is : "integrated").

According to some member who asked Tempotec, they will release double chips version within several months. So it means 'Tempotec HD Pro' is not the same.

Last edited:

Herbert

Some quick research gave disappointing results. S/PDIF to USB converters do exist, but only in the professional world and not at all made for audio stuff.
The best option for what you are trying to achieve is still the Khadas Toneboard for $99. It accepts S/PDIF via RCA.
I have two of them, and yes, they are small.
But for the sake of short connections drilling holes in the exact diameter and distance is one problem.Also the USB-plug needs a cutout, no matter if being used or not...

Great to see more devices using the CS43130 chip, I am very impressed with it in the Creative G6. I actually prefer it the Modi 3.

Which filter are they using with this dongle?, its got a number of them available.

Also I would second the request for someone to measure the MiniDSP IL-DSP which uses this same chip and adds a parametric EQ function. If that performs well at all it will be the king of dongles.

typericey

I don't think the S8 is "double" chip. There's no mention of it on their official Aliexpress store which has a detailed product brochure btw.

I've been looking for something like this as well. Was almost going to get a Dragonfly Red (cheaper and better than Cobalt) and I'm glad this came along. Better-than-Topping D70 SINAD for $77? Hidizs take my money!

Just curious, will the S8 do well for line out duties?

mkawa

it's just large enough for me that it doesn't work as a dongle-like device for my phone (the meizu pro is doing great there) and small enough that i'm not going to drive a desktop system with it. it could work semi-portably as a pair with my fiio a5, like i with the 9038s would, but the meizu and the apple headphone outs work great with the a5 as well, and what i learned with the 9038s, the sanskrit 10th, the sanskrit 6th, and so on, is that adding more boxes of any kind to a portable setup means you're going to forget something and no sound is infinitely worse than 10 sinad improvement.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I don't think the S8 is "double" chip. There's no mention of it on their official Aliexpress store which has a detailed product brochure btw.

I've been looking for something like this as well. Was almost going to get a Dragonfly Red (cheaper and better than Cobalt) and I'm glad this came along. Better-than-Topping D70 SINAD for $77? Hidizs take my money!

Just curious, will the S8 do well for line out duties?
In your case I would rather try the Sonata iDSD or iDSD Plus if you need balanced out.
ES9018K2M with Sabre9601k's (better DAC than Red & same amp as both).

@vitalii427
Come on now, you know what balanced is.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
They probably forgot a zero. :D
why? Amir's measurement shows even .004% THD+N under load 32ohm, .0002% is only for no-load i.e. as a DAC but not like HPA. Under load condition, Meizu HiFi DAC Pro has 4x times less distortions and +30% of output power vs S8.

Last edited:

typericey

Apologies for going a bit off topic but, to the headphone nerds out there, what ~US100 earbuds would complement the S8 nicely? Something that outperforms the stock Samsung Galaxy AKG-tuned earbuds. Would the 1More Triple Driver fit the bill?

Top Bottom