• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For us Aliexpress users, we have to trust that faults don't develop over weeks!

Yes. Dealing with the potential for return is the risk of buying any product from AliExpress. If you're not comfortable with it, don't buy anything from AliExpress.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I got mine today. I paid 170RMB for it. or about 24 USD off toabao. Does anyone know how many clicks down I need to go on it to grantee no distortion? It was mentioned somewhere in this thread.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.32542e8d70IMLU&id=606258425485&_u=s1psrgqk0586
here's a link if anyone has access to toabao.

One physical click down is a significant drop in output- youre better reducing (hardware) volume via an app slider like UAPP which you can set to 100 steps.

I've never noticed distortion at any output level

Zarniwoop

Can I use this as a pure DAC for a more powerful amplifier? Is double amping harmful?

2V output is fine. According to Wikipedia "Line outputs usually present a source impedance of 100 to 600 ohms. The voltage can reach 2 volts peak-to-peak with levels referenced to −10 dBV (300 mV) at 10 kΩ. The frequency response of most modern equipment is advertised as at least 20 Hz to 20 kHz, which corresponds to the range of human hearing. Line outputs are intended to drive a load impedance of 10,000 ohms; with only a few volts, this requires only minimal current."

vitalii427

Forum Donor
2V output is fine. According to Wikipedia "Line outputs usually present a source impedance of 100 to 600 ohms. The voltage can reach 2 volts peak-to-peak with levels referenced to −10 dBV (300 mV) at 10 kΩ. The frequency response of most modern equipment is advertised as at least 20 Hz to 20 kHz, which corresponds to the range of human hearing. Line outputs are intended to drive a load impedance of 10,000 ohms; with only a few volts, this requires only minimal current."
Unfortunately real amps do not follow this specs. So it’s necessary to check input sensitivity of a specific device. But 2V unbalanced input is enough in most cases.

KaMiKaZeCATS

For anybody that's wants to know, the tempotec works great with the s20. I'm using neutron player. For those who want to charge and listen to music at the same time. Make sure you buy a dongle that mentions it works with digital headphones. NOT ANOLOG.

Again anyone with access to taobao here's a link. It's confirmed working with external dacs:
https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/de...507&spm=a21202.11768517.tborderdetaiitem_1.i0

Again make sure you get the one that says "support digital headphones"

Supports quick charge too so that's a bonus.

obwohl

Is this here the same as the Hidizs s8?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/TempoTec-So...plifier-Adapter-DAC-for-Android-/292891342669

The hidizs arrived today. Is it normal to hear a rather silent click after pressing the pause button from my speakers when playing for example spotify or foobar?
It does not happen with my painfully crappy dac from a cheap nubwo headset.
I fail to configure the hidizs for dsd output until now, does anybody know what to do?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

obwohl

-No that ebay item is a totally different dongle
-I don't have the 'click' on OSX.
Thanks! The click is not very loud but somehow not necessary. I installed the driver from their website but still the clicks and still no control whatsoever over the dongle. Am I wrong?

blse59

Listening on Android phone with HibyMusic app (bitperfect) on Etymotic earphones. I am in love with this Cirrus Logic DAC. Nothing is wrong with it. Crystal clarity.

obwohl

This click after the sound stops is really annoying. Does anybody know how to control the driver in windows?

Zarniwoop

Is this here the same as the Hidizs s8?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/TempoTec-So...plifier-Adapter-DAC-for-Android-/292891342669

The hidizs arrived today. Is it normal to hear a rather silent click after pressing the pause button from my speakers when playing for example spotify or foobar?
It does not happen with my painfully crappy dac from a cheap nubwo headset.
I fail to configure the hidizs for dsd output until now, does anybody know what to do?

There's also quite often a loud click when jumping to a different point in a track in foobar, or skipping tracks. The implementation of this DAC is a bit rough round the edges for sure, but for the most part it's a ridiculously cheap device that can produce sublime sound.

Top Bottom