• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Zarniwoop

That's unfortunate... Any lead on what's causing it? I got DPC latency checker running now and waiting for the glitch to occur to see if my system is the issue.

I was getting warnings with ACPI.sys with Latency Monitor, so could be something to do with my laptop's power management. Interesting the glitching only occurred on mains power, was fine on battery.

crystal6tak

I was getting warnings with ACPI.sys with Latency Monitor, so could be something to do with my laptop's power management. Interesting the glitching only occurred on mains power, was fine on battery.
Interesting, do you happen to have powered USB hubs lying around? Could try those.

I currently set my music player (foobar2000) on real time priority with task manager. I'll see if that does anything. If not I'll try their driver and perhaps even update the firmware to see if it helps.

Zarniwoop

Interesting, do you happen to have powered USB hubs lying around? Could try those.

I currently set my music player (foobar2000) on real time priority with task manager. I'll see if that does anything. If not I'll try their driver and perhaps even update the firmware to see if it helps.

Yes, I tried a powered USB hub, changing foobar priority, disabling umpteen services, disabling everything in device manager, and anything else I could find or think of. Nothing solved it, it just (mostly) solved itself. One thing I did was plug in another USB soundcard which seemed to install a windows USB audio driver, and after that the glitches disappeared on the Sonata HD. Could be related.

crystal6tak

Yes, I tried a powered USB hub, changing foobar priority, disabling umpteen services, disabling everything in device manager, and anything else I could find or think of. Nothing solved it, it just (mostly) solved itself. One thing I did was plug in another USB soundcard which seemed to install a windows USB audio driver, and after that the glitches disappeared on the Sonata HD. Could be related.
You have tried the Sonata HD drivers then? It seems to be an ASIO driver, bypassing windows audio drivers. An ASIO component must also be installed for foobar2000. This site has some images. Personally never tried ASIO drivers before, I'll give it a go if real time priority doesn't work on my end.

Zarniwoop

You have tried the Sonata HD drivers then? It seems to be an ASIO driver, bypassing windows audio drivers. An ASIO component must also be installed for foobar2000. This site has some images. Personally never tried ASIO drivers before, I'll give it a go if real time priority doesn't work on my end.

Yes, for me the glitching was still present with the ASIO driver. YMMV. It's worth installing though as it's needed for DSD playback.

Last edited:

taner

As a general advice, to make sure that it is a hardware related issue or not, check the dac on Linux. Install a Live version of a Linux distribution on usb stick (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.) and boot with it. Open pavucontrol (pulseaudio mixer) and select the dac as default device.

Launch web browser (firefox is good) and open a live stream radio like: https://chillout.zone/chillout_plus

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just started using my S8 today to see how it worked and sounded. It drives my Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO and Audio Technica ATH-ANC900BT (passive and active) really well. I'm using Roon on my laptop for this test. Sound is clean, smooth and detailed. I'm really impressed, it surpassed my expectations.

I got it for the office and travel, but I'm not sure how much I'll be using it in the near future...

Kanonengedonner

I got the DAC/Amp in the mail today...usb debugging allowed, app downloaded on my s10e. But no go. No sound from 2 different earphones. Followed what was directed by plugging headphone first then DAC.

I plugged it to my galaxy s6 tab. Same thing, no sound. Not only that, but upon restarting my tablet it didn't want to turn on again. I thought it was bricked. I had to hard reset it.

This thing is going back to Amazon ...

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

I got the DAC/Amp in the mail today...usb debugging allowed, app downloaded on my s10e. But no go. No sound from 2 different earphones. Followed what was directed by plugging headphone first then DAC.

I plugged it to my galaxy s6 tab. Same thing, no sound. Not only that, but upon restarting my tablet it didn't want to turn on again. I thought it was bricked. I had to hard reset it.

This thing is going back to Amazon ...

What app did you download? You need one which enables USB audio. USB Audio Player Pro, or Hiby Player. Both work fine for me.

Kanonengedonner

After further trials ...it seems there is a short in the micro-usb to usb-c cable. I managed to get it working only for it to cut if I slightly move the S8.

I'll have to contact hidizs.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which are the competitors? I saw E1DA but it seems to be only for balanced IEMs, right?

Yes- but their single ended one (9038D) is in the works. But not suitable for very sensitive IEM by their own admission

Other that springs to mind is Meizu Hifi Pro (reviewed on here)- can be had for $30-40 on Ali. I have a few of those now too- very good!

Veri

Master Contributor
Other that springs to mind is Meizu Hifi Pro (reviewed on here)- can be had for $30-40 on Ali. I have a few of those now too- very good!
Even the regular ~$22 meizu is very decent. I like mine a lot.

After further trials ...it seems there is a short in the micro-usb to usb-c cable. I managed to get it working only for it to cut if I slightly move the S8.

I'll have to contact hidizs.
Definitely contact them; their support is actually quite good. I'd still recommend getting a better cable, though. I bought one of the DD TC03 cables for mine for less than 10 bucks and there's no worry of that thing failing (it's metal shielded).

I haven't been using my HD Pro as much, though, now that I have an E1DA 9038S. I can say from comparison to it, that the HD Pro/S8 is still definitely a wonderful device that punches well above its weight, but the 9038S is the cleanest thing I've ever heard, save for really expensive desktop stuff.

Kanonengedonner

Definitely contact them; their support is actually quite good. I'd still recommend getting a better cable, though. I bought one of the DD TC03 cables for mine for less than 10 bucks and there's no worry of that thing failing (it's metal shielded).

I haven't been using my HD Pro as much, though, now that I have an E1DA 9038S. I can say from comparison to it, that the HD Pro/S8 is still definitely a wonderful device that punches well above its weight, but the 9038S is the cleanest thing I've ever heard, save for really expensive desktop stuff.

Yeah I heard the E1DA 9038S was better, but I don't have balanced earphones.

That cable on Amazon gets shipped between Sep 3 - Oct 7 hah.

ScofieldKid

I think the unbalanced has been available for a little while now... I see it on Linsoul and Aliexpress as "9038S gen 3" ...
https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/9038s
That's not the unbalanced version. In fact, that's the one I own. It has some differences and improvements from gen 1 and 2, but it is still a balanced device.

The unbalanced version, which is still in the works, will be called the 9038D.

Top Bottom