• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Aha, so it is exactly the same device. BTW, it is rather similar to Meizu HiFi DAC non-pro because it also has no buffer-opamp, and the output taken from CS43131 directly. I see no any signs of USB power filtering too.
If both lack filtering why would the S8 perform so much better on amir's test PC?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If both lack filtering why would the S8 perform so much better on amir's test PC?
Pic's are to blurry to see signatures of most competents so it's hard to say for sure. Me by line input is better attend & condensers do a better job of self lo filtering for the DAC. Power supply is definitely left without proper filtering, meaning it would probably also see nice gain same as Meizu when that's corrected.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if an Audioquest Jitterbug would improve those unfiltered devices.

AlexScan

I try before open it, for me it's the same sound. I try With HD650 and AKG K702. The HD650 need more power but with the K702 it's very good.

Merci Vivo tu répond à ma question... maintenant reste à savoir si il sonne mieux que mon Meizu Pro DAC...

I will buy a Tempotec and compare to the Meizu Hifi DAC Pro (on Toneking Nine Tails, best IEM I heard)

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Aldoszx

Last edited:

urfaust

Maybe worth a shot, testing the S8 again with the usb filter, see if it could improve sinad even further.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Aldoszx

Yeah. It seems to me those firmware options are likely provided to let the HD user disable the microphone rather than allow the HD Pro user to enable the microphone. Do you see it that way, too?

I think those firmware files are only for HD and is nothing related to HD Pro.
There are different hardware, so i suppose the firmware could not be cross-flashed betwen them.
HD Pro is another thing, totally different from HD. I don't see any firmware for it, by now.

mrnikt

Aha, so it is exactly the same device. BTW, it is rather similar to Meizu HiFi DAC non-pro because it also has no buffer-opamp, and the output taken from CS43131 directly. I see no any signs of USB power filtering too.
OK - so it's a bad or good feature ???

PLease correct me :) We are in HIDIZS S8 topic.... and I see NO firmware for S8 on this site :)
Yes - there is FW for Hidizs HD ... not for S8 .. am I right ?

AND....- on Tempotec site there is FW (dated 2018) for Sonata HD - released quite a long time ago and AFAIR HD PRo is much younger device.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
OK - so it's a bad or good feature ???

PLease correct me :) We are in HIDIZS S8 topic.... and I see NO firmware for S8 on this site :)
Yes - there is FW for Hidizs HD ... not for S8 .. am I right ?

AND....- on Tempotec site there is FW (dated 2018) for Sonata HD - released quite a long time ago and AFAIR HD PRo is much younger device.
It's set of three firmwares for; Sonata HD & Hidizs HD (I, II) which are the same literary. It's not intended for S8 nor Sonata HD Pro.
Hopefully they will get their own proper drivers.

typericey

No regrets on purchasing the HIDIZS at a higher price even if there is a cheaper Tempotec "clone." HIDIZS is the the one Amir reviewed that measured well, and here on ASR we've seen quite a few instances of similar products that measure differntly or off spec.

Hisma

What if they were to measure exactly the same? I mean you can have no regrets if you're happy with the purchase ($80 to some people isn't a lot of money), but if they are literally the same product in a different shell, with one costing half as much, why buy the more expensive one? Build quality aside, unless you abuse your dongles by dropping or tossing them around, a cheaper shell shouldn't really affect the performance or the lifespan.

digititus

No regrets on purchasing the HIDIZS at a higher price even if there is a cheaper Tempotec "clone." HIDIZS is the the one Amir reviewed that measured well, and here on ASR we've seen quite a few instances of similar products that measure differntly or off spec.
Tempotec is the OEM manufacturer for Hidizs. The Hidizs is a Tempotec in a pretty dress.

Top Bottom