• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S8, Hifime S2 or Khadas?

Icarus2000

Dear friends,

I am in the market for a small dac. I will use it between my pc and a TPA3116 amp. They will power a set of b&w dm110. The pc, the amp or/and the speakers will change in the course of time. But the setup-model will remain the same. I love the idea of the dac being powered by the usb, so I don't have to worry about an extra poweradapter. The second important thing for me, is that that I don't want to spent more dan 125USD.

I found here and elsewhere online these 3 highly recommended Dac's.

Hidizs S8 DAC CS43131 @ €99 or 107usd
Hifime S2 Sabre 9038QM @ €80 or 86usd
The Khadas Tone board @ €99 or 107usd

My question is: for 125USD, what is the best option? And maybe there are others even better?

Greetings from Holland

ps: a couple of weeks ago I bought an E1DA 9038S, and based on recommendations from you guys, here on the forum, I returned it, because it wouldn't work in my setup(balanced). Thank you for guiding me then

OP
I

Icarus2000

You mean something like the The Hidizs Sonata HD? And which ones do you recommend?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I don't quite understand you...
On the desktop side you can buy LOXJIE D10, other than its odd shape it's a good DAC, headaphone amplifier ain't stellar but ain't all that bad either. It's on Ali 91$.
That would be the best option probably on the tight budget.
I don't think any of enlisted dongles would be a great choice for power amplifier as they are all shy of delivering 2V output.
I really can't even begin to understand why anyone is even considering the Hidizs S8 when TempoTec Sonata HD Pro is a same thing for less than half a money.
If 91$ is to much for you or for some odd reasons you insist on portable i can recommend TempoTec Sonata iDSD which can deliver 2V and just work's. You can probably snatch it for 50$ (regularly it's 70$ but discounts are often) on Ali when they (TempoTec) get their shop working again (it's empty last couple of days).
For Loxjie you can find review measurements hire & I wouch for Sonata iDSD, while you can find some measurements hire:
http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100007002.03.htm
White it's not top of the pop's it works just fine & have some of very useful additional capabilities & deacent drivers.

Zek

Major Contributor
ps: a couple of weeks ago I bought an E1DA 9038S, and based on recommendations from you guys, here on the forum, I returned it, because it wouldn't work in my setup(balanced).
Please explain in more details.

Veri

Master Contributor
Dear friends,

I am in the market for a small dac. I will use it between my pc and a TPA3116 amp. They will power a set of b&w dm110. The pc, the amp or/and the speakers will change in the course of time. But the setup-model will remain the same. I love the idea of the dac being powered by the usb, so I don't have to worry about an extra poweradapter. The second important thing for me, is that that I don't want to spent more dan 125USD.

I found here and elsewhere online these 3 highly recommended Dac's.

Hidizs S8 DAC CS43131 @ €99 or 107usd

My question is: for 125USD, what is the best option? And maybe there are others even better?

Greetings from Holland

ps: a couple of weeks ago I bought an E1DA 9038S, and based on recommendations from you guys, here on the forum, I returned it, because it wouldn't work in my setup(balanced). Thank you for guiding me then
-KTB in a case is always a good recommendation
-Topping E30 worth considering! but just out of budget
-the hidisz S8 is otherwise a fine choice for a compact high performer..

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
-KTB in a case is always a good recommendation
-Topping E30 worth considering! but just out of budget
-the hidisz S8 is otherwise a fine choice for a compact high performer..
E30 is both out of budget and currently plagued with problems (they will resolve hopefully) & other than that doesn't have headphone amp.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Nor does the Khadas, right.
Don't know about that one but I think he needs one.
The Hidizs S8/TempoTec Sonata HD Pro also for now have volume step being to big for mid to sensitive low impedance headphones problem.

OP
I

Icarus2000

Please explain in more details.

These are the replies I got...

reply from IVX, if I'am not mistaken the maker of the 9038S:
- "9038S has 4 active outputs(L+, L-, R+, R-), hence, you can't use as 2 inputs(L, R) system."

other replies:
- "This product is incompatible with 3.5mm female."
- ".... I believe the only suggested use is into a 2.5 mm balanced headphone cable. Possibly adapt the 2.5mm to a (balanced) 4.4mm cable or a 4 pin xlr (balanced) termination. If you havent got 'phones with any of these plugs I would suggest cancelling your order."

Reactions: Zek
OP
I

Icarus2000

I don't quite understand you...
On the desktop side you can buy LOXJIE D10, other than its odd shape it's a good DAC, headaphone amplifier ain't stellar but ain't all that bad either. It's on Ali 91$.
That would be the best option probably on the tight budget.
I don't think any of enlisted dongles would be a great choice for power amplifier as they are all shy of delivering 2V output.
I really can't even begin to understand why anyone is even considering the Hidizs S8 when TempoTec Sonata HD Pro is a same thing for less than half a money.
If 91$ is to much for you or for some odd reasons you insist on portable i can recommend TempoTec Sonata iDSD which can deliver 2V and just work's. You can probably snatch it for 50$ (regularly it's 70$ but discounts are often) on Ali when they (TempoTec) get their shop working again (it's empty last couple of days).
For Loxjie you can find review measurements hire & I wouch for Sonata iDSD, while you can find some measurements hire:
http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100007002.03.htm
White it's not top of the pop's it works just fine & have some of very useful additional capabilities & deacent drivers.

Thanks for the input... I can get a very cheap used TempoTec Sonata HD, but not the PRO version... is that any good?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thanks for the input... I can get a very cheap used TempoTec Sonata HD, but not the PRO version... is that any good?
Hidizs S8 is Sonata HD Pro, TempoTec is OEM. But they are shy under 2V (1.7V) for RCA input to power amplifier.
Edit: Seriously you have it all with Loxjie D10, it's not a looker but who cares.

OP
I

Icarus2000

Hidizs S8 is Sonata HD Pro, TempoTec is OEM. But they are shy under 2V (1.7V) for RCA input to power amplifier.
Edit: Seriously you have it all with Loxjie D10, it's not a looker but who cares.

But the Loxjie D10 doesn't have usb in... I don't have coaxial nor optical and I really don't have any use for a headphone amp

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
But the Loxjie D10 doesn't have usb in... I don't have coaxial nor optical and I really don't have any use for a headphone amp
Lol...
13739952801954743749.jpg

cburbs

I have these two but I haven't compared them yet. If I recall they reviewed an older Hifime here and the results were not that great. Not sure how this one would compare. Might just be better of going with the Khadas tone board/case.

Setup 1 - Main System
Board - Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Motherboard
Case - Flirc Raspberry Pi 2 and B+ Case
DAC - Hifime S2 USB and SPDIF DAC (Sabre ES9038q2m)
Power - iPower Low Noise DC Power Supply with International Travel Adapters by iFi Audio (5V)
OS - PiCorePlayer

Setup 2 - Outside Setup
Board - Raspberry Pi Model B+ (B PLUS) 512MB Computer Board
Case - HiFiBerry Steel case for HiFiBerry DAC+, black cover
DAC - HiFiBerry DAC+ - Pro
Power - Kootek 5V 2A Universal Micro USB Charger Adapter Power Supply for Raspberry Pi, Google Nexus 7, Nexus 10, External Battery Power Bank, Android Tablet
OS - PiCorePlayer

Setup 3 - Headphone amp setup (PI4(piCorePlayer) --> Khadas Tone Board --> Magni Heresy --> Hifiman HE4xx)

Board - Raspberry Pi 4
Case - Flirc Raspberry Pi 4 Case (Kodi Edition)
DAC - Khadas Tone Board/Clear Acrylic Case for Tone Board
Power - CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 Power Supply (USB-C)
OS - PiCorePlayer
PI4(piCorePlayer) --> Khadas Tone Board --> Magni Heresy --> Hifiman HE4xx

I know when I did an a/b in my main system I compared setup1 vs Setup 2 above I prefer the Setup1.

Not sure if I will notice a huge difference comparing the Khadas Tone Board vs Hifime S2 USB and SPDIF DAC (Sabre ES9038q2m) but when I have a chance I will do that in my main system.

OP
I

Icarus2000

I have these two but I haven't compared them yet. If I recall they reviewed an older Hifime here and the results were not that great. Not sure how this one would compare. Might just be better of going with the Khadas tone board/case.

Setup 1 - Main System
Board - Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Motherboard
Case - Flirc Raspberry Pi 2 and B+ Case
DAC - Hifime S2 USB and SPDIF DAC (Sabre ES9038q2m)
Power - iPower Low Noise DC Power Supply with International Travel Adapters by iFi Audio (5V)
OS - PiCorePlayer

Setup 2 - Outside Setup
Board - Raspberry Pi Model B+ (B PLUS) 512MB Computer Board
Case - HiFiBerry Steel case for HiFiBerry DAC+, black cover
DAC - HiFiBerry DAC+ - Pro
Power - Kootek 5V 2A Universal Micro USB Charger Adapter Power Supply for Raspberry Pi, Google Nexus 7, Nexus 10, External Battery Power Bank, Android Tablet
OS - PiCorePlayer

Setup 3 - Headphone amp setup (PI4(piCorePlayer) --> Khadas Tone Board --> Magni Heresy --> Hifiman HE4xx)
Board - Raspberry Pi 4
Case - Flirc Raspberry Pi 4 Case (Kodi Edition)
DAC - Khadas Tone Board/Clear Acrylic Case for Tone Board
Power - CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 Power Supply (USB-C)
OS - PiCorePlayer
PI4(piCorePlayer) --> Khadas Tone Board --> Magni Heresy --> Hifiman HE4xx

I know when I did an a/b in my main system I compared setup1 vs Setup 2 above I prefer the Setup1.

Not sure if I will notice a huge difference comparing the Khadas Tone Board vs Hifime S2 USB and SPDIF DAC (Sabre ES9038q2m) but when I have a chance I will do that in my main system.

nice setup, thanks for the info..

Top Bottom