• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS DH80S Review (DAC & Amp)

Oldasdrt

Definitely on my short list, especially with 10% off,

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is it possible to use DH80s as a DAC only?
The integrated headphone Amp cannot be bypassed.
You can plug the headphone out into the line in of an external amp and use the DH80s as though it was a standalone DAC.

4udio

The integrated headphone Amp cannot be bypassed.
You can plug the headphone out into the line in of an external amp and use the DH80s as though it was a standalone DAC.
Thanks for quick response. Some dac/amps have option that at some volume level they output unaltered signal to headphone out e.g. topping mx4 ( at 0db if i'm not mistaken) . I've hoped that Dh80s is the same.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for quick response. Some dac/amps have option that at some volume level they output unaltered signal to headphone out e.g. topping mx4 ( at 0db if i'm not mistaken) . I've hoped that Dh80s is the same.
The Topping NX4 has separate line out and headphone out ports, so I doubt it does any internal tricks, at least as far as I can tell.

4udio

The Topping NX4 has separate line out and headphone out ports, so I doubt it does any internal tricks, at least as far as I can tell.
Ah sorry. My mistake. Topping MX3 is the correct model name

MaadScience

I bought one of these. It powers on, light comes on, plugged my Sundaras into the 4.4mm jack, and tried connecting to my iphone 12 and Macbook Pro. In both cases the sound just comes from my device speakers and nothing from the headphones. Did I get a defective unit, or am I missing some additional step?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought one of these. It powers on, light comes on, plugged my Sundaras into the 4.4mm jack, and tried connecting to my iphone 12 and Macbook Pro. In both cases the sound just comes from my device speakers and nothing from the headphones. Did I get a defective unit, or am I missing some additional step?
Do you use the correct cable?
It shows in the instructions that you need a special USB-C to Lightning cable to work with Apple devices.

MaadScience

Do you use the correct cable?
It shows in the instructions that you need a special USB-C to Lightning cable to work with Apple devices.
Yes, I'm using the USB-C to lightning cable that came with the iPhone, and the USB-C cable that came with the DH80S for the MacBook.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I'm using the USB-C to lightning cable that came with the iPhone, and the USB-C cable that came with the DH80S for the MacBook.
That’s not what I meant.

See the instructions. Needs a special cable?

Supported SystemsWindows 10, Mac OS, iPad OS, Android, iOS, or newer systems
(For iOS users, the Lightning OTG cable has to be purchased separately)

staticV3

Master Contributor
As Laserjock said, the Lightning->C cable that came with your iPhone cannot be used with external Type-C DACs.
You have to purchase a separate cable with a special Apple chip inside for that purpose.

MaadScience

That’s not what I meant.

See the instructions. Needs a special cable?

Supported SystemsWindows 10, Mac OS, iPad OS, Android, iOS, or newer systems
(For iOS users, the Lightning OTG cable has to be purchased separately)
As Laserjock said, the Lightning->C cable that came with your iPhone cannot be used with external Type-C DACs.
You have to purchase a separate cable with a special Apple chip inside for that purpose.
Ok that's good to know about the iPhone cable, thanks. For some reason my MacBook was not detecting the DH80S before, but now it suddenly is though I haven't changed anything. Thanks!

dib

My DH80S works perfectly with Windows and Android but it doesn't work with iPhone and it's supplied charging cable, I hope it helps.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any recommendations for a cable to work with the iPhone?
The one they sell is out of stock..

Wunderphones

I got one of these a couple weeks back, when Hidizs was selling them on Amazon at the preposterously low price of $119. It's not a truly PnP device under the Android flavor on my phone, and even after I went through the initial setup, which requires turning on the hidden "developer" options to the OS, I definitely have to tinker with it sometimes to get the device noticed. I have UAPP on my phone, and I know I've got it noticed by the system when the system asks me whether I want to use UAPP for recording audio. WTF?

Once it's noticed, it's really nice. I am pleasantly surprised that I can run it on low gain with my Ether C Flow 1.1s, which are not typically regarded as easy to drive.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that if one wants to stream one's audio to a portable device, running a phone into a DAC/amp is the way to go. The one time I tried a DAP for streaming, the Wifi chip wasn't able to keep up. There are expensive DAPs that use the Snapdragon 6 series, and those probably can keep up with high bitrate audio, but it just makes a lot more sense to leverage the great Wifi chip (and OLED screen and zippy processor) that's already in my phone, and outsource the amplification part. And although this device isn't foolproof, it's extremely economical even at its MSRP and sounds really good.

FreddyCG

I just made an account to comment and thank this wonderful forum for reliably informing me on this product. I used a dragonfly red for a couple of years, it was my introduction into dacs. I thought to myself I'll take a gamble (as I'm not familiar with Chinese products), and bought the dh80s.

Man this thing blows the dragonfly right out of the water. There's less static noise, I can actually hear the pitch of the bass notes clearly now, and even when instruments are placed on the same spot in the soundstage I can easily focus on the individual instruments.

So thanks ASR, I hope this will make sense to other people who like me paid way to much for their first dac

Nango

Major Contributor
They need a native English proof reader. Same goes for their marketing info. Also seems like their brand names are uninspiring.
No way they will spend a single penny in marketing stuff for more inspiring labels or for native english professionals writing their manuals, etc.
I just made an account to comment and thank this wonderful forum for reliably informing me on this product. I used a dragonfly red for a couple of years, it was my introduction into dacs. I thought to myself I'll take a gamble (as I'm not familiar with Chinese products), and bought the dh80s.

Man this thing blows the dragonfly right out of the water. There's less static noise, I can actually hear the pitch of the bass notes clearly now, and even when instruments are placed on the same spot in the soundstage I can easily focus on the individual instruments.

So thanks ASR, I hope this will make sense to other people who like me paid way to much for their first dac
You listening on headphones or speakers? Which headphones??

Last edited:

Nango

Major Contributor
They need a native English proof reader. Same goes for their marketing info. Also seems like their brand names are uninspiring.
No way they will spend a single penny in marketing stuff for more inspiring labels or for native english
Nobody's asking the important question:

How in the hell do you pronounce "hidizs"?

A WORD PLEASE!

View attachment 164334
Think they pronounce "hide shits" making clear their products are better, so you better "hide all the other options". Now I start thinking they might have paid a professional for their label design.

Top Bottom