• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs AP80 vs AP80 Pro

hawk01

hello all,

as the title suggests, headphone newbie doing homework on first possible DAP purchase... or not!

for starters to familiarize everyone i am mid-50s into 2ch stereo for the longest time with the usual degraded HF acuity but still with a palate for avoiding harsh treble so i may still have some miles to go in this hobby. just a few months ago i got into headphones and IEMs i was immediately fascinated by the wealth of mental information these things can provide. more so IEMs as being the ultimate intravenous consumption of music. what i previously thought as everything sounds the same in 2ch speakers leading me to think i got calloused ears now have discernible, tangible differences. changes between IEMs and cans, more so amongst IEMs become easier to grasp.

my main desktop rig is laptop with Foobar2K + SMSL Sanskrit 10th mkII DAC + Topping L30 + IEM/HP. my portable is spotify connect via my 2yr. old Ipad 6th gen. i must admit the sound quality out of this basic set up is almost end game material for my beer budget taste compared to my laptops default soundcard. i suppose i can vouch for what many advocate apple devices having equal to or better performance compared to lesser DAPs or amps out there.

now for the fun part, i need to make my mostly FLAC music collection portable and the Ipad6 is not going to fit the bill with its inherent storage limitation. not wanting to jump in all fours into the DAP wagon i am considering something decent and affordable in the form of Hidizs offerings in the AP80 and its more potent Pro version.

to better elaborate my inquiry, i will make a Q&A of all my thoughts:

1. i am only using the DAP with IEMs, no headphones. ergo i may not require the added power of balanced output. does it still make sense to consider the Pro version since both versions have the same output in unbalanced connection?

2. is there still a benefit to the Pro version dual DACs running single ended only or must i run them in balanced mode in order to maximize their potential?

3. if i consider getting the Pro version, i would certainly utilize it via balanced connection only in order to maximize its resources. how do i connect to its 2.5mm balanced output port? all of my IEMs come with the stereo unbalanced 3.5 connectors only.

hoping for inputs from the more knowledgeable folks here, better from AP80 owners! the (or not!) decision for the Pro version comes only if a consensus arrives at nothing audibly beneficial to be gained with dual DACs and the extra power of balanced connections. the decision on getting the lower tier AP80 warranted to make my FLAC collection portable. everyone may notice i did not even consider wifi feature coz i am fine with spotify on Ipad only, not to mention lower cost of having a simpler DAP.

OP
H

hawk01

funny i may just end up giving my thoughts on the matter for the benefit of everyone who may decide to buy this or any other DAP in general. i ended up buying the AP80, not the AP80pro. main thing to consider in these portable devices is your requirements. since i only use IEMs for a DAP i believed the SQ out of SE output is already substantial. the additonal cost of going balanced with the pro version does not make any sense for IEMs at least IMHO.

as for outright performance the AP80 is subjectively outstanding. UI is generally intuitive. it has a broad EQ feature menu that actually works. battery life is decent given its diminutive size. volume at low gain is more than enough for IEMs. just for kicks i tried the hifiiman HE400i on high gain, while it may quickly run out of headroom depending in how loud you go, it was still acceptable. overall i am extremely content with this DAP as it fulfills the purpose of having portable music outside the home that does not cost much.

on a more important side note, the AP80 has native DSD playback! more importantly there are no nasty pops, cracking noises between tracks which i am sadly experiencing with my Topping D10S. this otherwise minor quibble i deemed acceptable with some trepidation since the D10S is on stereo speaker duties only. but this is a major disaster if your DAP will crack and pop using IEMs!!!

there are much higher performing DAPs out there which i have also considered. some costing outrageously more than others. but in buying a DAP one really has to define the boundaries of usage and expectation in order to make a wise buying decision. HTH

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I own both the AP80 and AP80 Pro. They are both offering an excellent listening experience playing straight into an old set of Sony Eggo D77. It would be interesting to have them tested by Amir and confirm (hopefully) their good musical qualities through measurements

Top Bottom