• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs AP80 PRO

dib

The Hidizs S8 is so good in measurements, that It makes me curious about the new Hidizs AP80 PRO.
It's AMP is much more powerful but Is it as good or even better?
If so, this compact DAP might be the answer for many.
Please review it !

https://www.hidizs.net/products/ap80-pro

distox

The Hidizs S8 is so good in measurements, that It makes me curious about the new Hidizs AP80 PRO.
It's AMP is much more powerful but Is it as good or even better?
If so, this compact DAP might be the answer for many.
Please review it !

https://www.hidizs.net/products/ap80-pro
Just joined today and I just ordered the ap80 pro. Can’t wait to get it and try it out.
-Tony

eeeper

I have the Hidizs AP60 II and AP80, love them and they work good as external dacs. I ordered the S8 for my wife, unfortunately it's stuck somewhere in LA between customs and USPS so I can't tell you how it sounds. Get USB Audio Player Pro for android allows you to play Tidal Hidef at the bitrate of the file on Tidal. Amazon HD music is capped at 24/48khz since it doesn't have its own usb driver.

flvtch

Just joined today and I just ordered the ap80 pro. Can’t wait to get it and try it out.
-Tony
How are you enjoying the A80Pro? Any thoughts? Are you able to compare with any similar products?

smasherat

How are you enjoying the A80Pro? Any thoughts? Are you able to compare with any similar products?

I have the Hidiz AP80 Pro, Hiby R3 Pro and Shanling Q1 to compare.

Sonically, they all have somewhat of a neutral sound signature. Both the Hiby R3 Pro and the Hidiz AP80 Pro sound better than the Shanling Q1 and I find HIby OS slightly more useable than Shanling's MTouch OS.....so most of my comparison is going to be between the AP80 Pro and Hiby R3 Pro.

Between the Hidiz Ap80 Pro and the Hiby R3 Pro, I find they are nearly identical in sound with very slight differences. The AP80 is a tad brighter and a tad more resolving, whereas the Hiby R3 Pro is a tad warmer, and as a result vocals also sound just a tad fuller on the R3.

In terms of hardware, the AP80 is going to be more portable given the size (but the tiny screen might not be for everyone). The R3 Pro's 3.2" screen is definitely easier to navigate. Both have the same resolution but due to the smaller screen on the AP80 (and hence higher PPI), fonts appear sharper. On the other hand, the R3 has more accurate colors and better viewing angles. Battery is by far more superior on the R3 Pro and has nearly double the playback time.

If you use bluetooth, I actually find the AP80 signal is better, despite it being only 4.2 vs the R3's BT 5.0. R3's BT isn't very good and I get a lot of stutter when its in my pocket.

Hope this helps.

flvtch

I have the Hidiz AP80 Pro, Hiby R3 Pro and Shanling Q1 to compare.

Sonically, they all have somewhat of a neutral sound signature. Both the Hiby R3 Pro and the Hidiz AP80 Pro sound better than the Shanling Q1 and I find HIby OS slightly more useable than Shanling's MTouch OS.....so most of my comparison is going to be between the AP80 Pro and Hiby R3 Pro.

Between the Hidiz Ap80 Pro and the Hiby R3 Pro, I find they are nearly identical in sound with very slight differences. The AP80 is a tad brighter and a tad more resolving, whereas the Hiby R3 Pro is a tad warmer, and as a result vocals also sound just a tad fuller on the R3.

In terms of hardware, the AP80 is going to be more portable given the size (but the tiny screen might not be for everyone). The R3 Pro's 3.2" screen is definitely easier to navigate. Both have the same resolution but due to the smaller screen on the AP80 (and hence higher PPI), fonts appear sharper. On the other hand, the R3 has more accurate colors and better viewing angles. Battery is by far more superior on the R3 Pro and has nearly double the playback time.

If you use bluetooth, I actually find the AP80 signal is better, despite it being only 4.2 vs the R3's BT 5.0. R3's BT isn't very good and I get a lot of stutter when its in my pocket.

Hope this helps.

Legend, thank you for taking the time. The AP80 represents very good value for money then. I prefer the aesthetic of the R3 Pro but got to go for function over form when it matters.

Sak

Today I listened Hisizs AP80PRO and compared it with my Onkyo DP-S1A. For such baby, very good and detailed sound. Very clean.
Small size, fits in the palm of my hand, and easy to control music from pocket. Otherwise, it is definitely not worse than my small Onkyo DP-S1A, which costs 3 times more at the start of sales. Ordered it.

Hiby R3 Pro is close in sound. It has a larger screen, it is more convenient to manage big music library by looking at the screen. But it is not convenient to control in pocket, because control buttons are spaced on two sides, and first you need to find the right one with your hand, only then you can either change the volume or switch the track. For a year I owned Hiby R3 (not pro) it's not convenient. Volume encoder is very convenientis, and easy to control volume in pocket.

flvtch

Today I listened Hisizs AP80PRO and compared it with my Onkyo DP-S1A. For such baby, very good and detailed sound. Very clean.
Small size, fits in the palm of my hand, and easy to control music from pocket. Otherwise, it is definitely not worse than my small Onkyo DP-S1A, which costs 3 times more at the start of sales. Ordered it.

Hiby R3 Pro is close in sound. It has a larger screen, it is more convenient to manage big music library by looking at the screen. But it is not convenient to control in pocket, because control buttons are spaced on two sides, and first you need to find the right one with your hand, only then you can either change the volume or switch the track. For a year I owned Hiby R3 (not pro) it's not convenient. Volume encoder is very convenientis, and easy to control volume in pocket.

Thanks for the write up. Did you notice and interference in the audio when used over 4G?

Sak

Did you notice and interference in the audio when used over 4G?
Sorry, did not test wireless connection. I never use it, only a wire.

flvtch

Sorry, did not test wireless connection. I never use it, only a wire.

I think you might have misunderstood me, apologies if i was not clear. I was enquiring whether you suffered any interference when streaming (if you stream) with the hidzis connected by a wire to your phone/DAP? The smaller dongle DACs can sometimes suffer from interference when streaming over data on the go. Just curious if that happened to you? If you only listened over a wifi connection (or from offline sources) then you will likely not have come into contact with such issues.

Sak

I think you might have misunderstood me, apologies if i was not clear. I was enquiring whether you suffered any interference when streaming (if you stream) with the hidzis connected by a wire to your phone/DAP? The smaller dongle DACs can sometimes suffer from interference when streaming over data on the go. Just curious if that happened to you? If you only listened over a wifi connection (or from offline sources) then you will likely not have come into contact with such issues.
Okay, I got you. I do not use streaming, only Micro SD. Therefore, in my case, interference is excluded.
But I do not quite understand, why you need to buy a DAP to connect with wire to smartphone for use streaming services ?
For this purpose, a usb-DAC is more suitable. Or will be better to purchase a DAP with streaming services, such as Hiby R3 Pro. In addition, it has Wi-Fi and a newer version bluetooth 5.0.
The meaning of this small player( AP80PRO ) is in autonomy, regardless of the smartphone. You just insert a Micro SD card with music, and listen it.

flvtch

Okay, I got you. I do not use streaming, only Micro SD. Therefore, in my case, interference is excluded.
But I do not quite understand, why you need to buy a DAP to connect with wire to smartphone for use streaming services ?
For this purpose, a usb-DAC is more suitable. Or will be better to purchase a DAP with streaming services, such as Hiby R3 Pro. In addition, it has Wi-Fi and a newer version bluetooth 5.0.
The meaning of this small player( AP80PRO ) is in autonomy, regardless of the smartphone. You just insert a Micro SD card with music, and listen it.

I want to connect the Hidzis to my Sony phone but ideally dont want to limit myself to just using microsd music. I'd like an interference free option to stream music from Tidal/spotify over 4g whilst commuting which is cheap - enter the Hidzis.

I think i might have to look at the E1DA balanced line up, my understanding is that a balanced topology is less prone to interference over 4g connections. However, adjusting to a balanced setup is added expense which could be utilised elsewhere.

smasherat

I want to connect the Hidzis to my Sony phone but ideally dont want to limit myself to just using microsd music. I'd like an interference free option to stream music from Tidal/spotify over 4g whilst commuting which is cheap - enter the Hidzis.

I think i might have to look at the E1DA balanced line up, my understanding is that a balanced topology is less prone to interference over 4g connections. However, adjusting to a balanced setup is added expense which could be utilised elsewhere.

You can connect your phone to the AP80 Pro over bluetooth using LDAC codec. Works fine. There's no hissing in the background (using balanced output. Haven't tested 3.5 SE)...although there is a small bit of latency when watching videos...but not noticeable if you're just streaming TIDAL or Spotify.

That said, if you only plan on using the AP80 Pro soley to connect to your phone to stream Spotify or Tidal and not use your own music files, then you are better off getting a dongle like the Hidizs S8 or a bluetooth adapter like ES100 or Fiio BTR5.

Last edited:

flvtch

You can connect your phone to the AP80 Pro over bluetooth using LDAC codec. Works fine. There's no hissing in the background (using balanced output. Haven't tested 3.5 SE)...although there is a small bit of latency when watching videos...but not noticeable if you're just streaming TIDAL or Spotify.

That said, if you only plan on using the AP80 Pro soley to connect to your phone to stream Spotify or Tidal and not use your own music files, then you are better off getting a dongle like the Hidizs S8 or a bluetooth adapter like ES100 or Fiio BTR5.

To clarify, as my initial query about Hidzis S8 interference has gotten sidetracked. I don't want a DAP, tried them and not for me. I currently use an ES100 with LDAC. Just trying to explore other options, inline dongles seemed like they might be for me but keep hearing interference issues over 4G. Suppose it would be the same as my ES100 and probably not worth it.

Top Bottom