• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hiding threads

aikofan

I just registered on the forum, although I’ve been lurking for a couple of years. But I see that logging in has advantages even for just passive participants, because you can easily see what threads have unread updates, etc.

But to have even better filtering/curation, I was wondering if we have the ability to hide threads/posts (like Reddit). If not, I think that would be a useful upgrade. I like to browse through a lot of different topics, so I don’t necessarily want to mark watch on all the threads I might possibly want to look at in the future, but then again there are lots of threads that I have no interest in at all and it would reduce clutter on my interface to be able to hide those.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ability to ignore specific threads would be great.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would this be implemented? Wouldn't it be a lot of work to keep flagging threads to hide as opposed to just ignoring them?

I guess it depends on how you like to browse a forum, but ASR is still small enough in post volume (just barley...) that I always go to the "New Posts" page, open every thread, and skim everything. To clear threads that I don't want to follow from the new list I still have to open the thread and possibly click to the last page of it if there's been a lot of activity. Marking a thread to be hidden/ignored once would save a lot of time.

No idea if there's a XenForo plugin for that kind of thing or not though.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ability to ignore specific threads would be great.
I think it'd be a feature along the lines of a "filter" using keywords to streamline the process.

Danaxus

Sorry for necro'ing, but I'd like this feature too. When browsing new posts (at least as infrequently as I do - a couple of times a day), there seems to be a ton to sift through - it gets a little overwhelming, at least psychologically! Would be nice to hide threads that aren't of interest, so the new posts is kept nice and tidy, and new threads of interest aren't scrolled past.

Danaxus

Maybe an alternative solution would be simpler: Can we have a button that shows New Threads, alongside the "New Posts" button? Then I can quickly see new topics being discussed and 'watch' the ones I care about, focusing only on new posts in those selected threads.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Maybe an alternative solution would be simpler: Can we have a button that shows New Threads, alongside the "New Posts" button? Then I can quickly see new topics being discussed and 'watch' the ones I care about, focusing only on new posts in those selected threads.
Will this work for you?

Danaxus

Will this work for you?
Afraid not. That button, the "New Posts" button, shows every new post since my last visit, i.e. if someone posts on the 43rd page of a thread I don't care about, it'll show up there. As a conversation happens, that thread will keep popping up in my feed, along with dozens of other similarly uninteresting threads. The issue is that this forum is very active, too much so for me to stay on top of things - I simply can't dedicate the time required to parse through it all.

A "New Thread" button, that is to say, a feed that only lists threads the first time they are created and never again, would be updated far less frequently. This would give me more than enough time to parse through every entry, and watchlist any topics I care about. Once watchlisted, I can then keep up to date with every individual post within that thread.

Essentially, "New Threads" plus "Watched" would allow users to follow all new and relevant posts. "New Posts", the link you listed, throws every single post, in every single thread, in every single topic, right on your screen. It's chaos, like watching a syslog scroll past you at lightning speed.

Zoomer

Top Bottom