• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hide HiFi

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hide Hifi. Feel free to share your experiences and solutions around it.

It can apply to anything in Hifi: Cables, subs, full-range speakers, amplifiers and so on. Do you throw the ugly power amplifier in a cupboard? Do you place a sub under the sofa? Curtains in front of the speakers? And so on.

Feel free to post pictures of how you solved it, or if you have seen another sensible interesting solution.

Fun to get inspiration. Hence this thread.:D

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You can see in the picture I have a audio switcher, MIniDSP U-DIO8 and a Dats V3 on the wall due to my lack of space. But, I posted up this photo for the cheap Chinese 900 watt amp I use for my sealed subs that is hidden in one of the draws. I dismantled the draw and routed(sides where the amp mount is cut into the sides of the draw) the sides to fit the amplifier perfectly rack mounted but draw mounted in this case.

The amplifier is extremely heavy so whenever I have to make some changes and pull it out upon putting the draw back onto the rollers the rollers break. I also added another wooden plate under neath the top part of the draw and a back cabinet essentially closing the back of the draw with damping material and fan to draw out air as most of the compartment is air tight to reduce the fan noise. My only other option is a fanless amp which is too expensive.

My second chinese amp not seen here in the pictures is in my closet in my bedroom with XLR cables running through the skirting back into the main room.

I have a whole host of inventions to fit 6 amplifiers, 4 dacs, 6 subs 15inch speakers as my main system, another pair of 3 way bookshelf mains, and aroud 14 absorber panels into a 40 square apartment.

PXL_20211019_074822390.MP.jpg

PXL_20211019_073539516.jpg
PXL_20211019_073620537.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211019_074251230.jpg
    PXL_20211019_074251230.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 56
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Superb. Good work! :)

I myself am considering placing a power amplifier, the t.amp E-800, which will power my subwoofers in a cabinet. It is quite quiet because there is a quiet noctura fan in it now but in a cupboard. At the bottom of the cabinet. Ventilation pipes in and pipes for exhaust mounted upwards (use the chimney effect).

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
You can see in the picture I have a audio switcher, MIniDSP U-DIO8 and a Dats V3 on the wall due to my lack of space. But, I posted up this photo for the cheap Chinese 900 watt amp I use for my sealed subs that is hidden in one of the draws. I dismantled the draw and routed(sides where the amp mount is cut into the sides of the draw) the sides to fit the amplifier perfectly rack mounted but draw mounted in this case.

The amplifier is extremely heavy so whenever I have to make some changes and pull it out upon putting the draw back onto the rollers the rollers break. I also added another wooden plate under neath the top part of the draw and a back cabinet essentially closing the back of the draw with damping material and fan to draw out air as most of the compartment is air tight to reduce the fan noise. My only other option is a fanless amp which is too expensive.

My second chinese amp not seen here in the pictures is in my closet in my bedroom with XLR cables running through the skirting back into the main room.

I have a whole host of inventions to fit 6 amplifiers, 4 dacs, 6 subs 15inch speakers as my main system, another pair of 3 way bookshelf mains, and aroud 14 absorber panels into a 40 square apartment.

View attachment 160114

View attachment 160104View attachment 160105
Smart. Nice solution. :)

Do you think the cooling of the amplifiers works well? Cooling when it comes to placing amplifiers in cabinets is something I am thinking about right now .

MCH

Major Contributor
I believe hiding hifi and electronics in general is the future, well the present maybe.
I have since years an ikea Hol besides my couch full of cables, PSUs, chargers, pi streamer, dac... plenty of ventilation and holes to discretely connect anything as needed, and the only thing on top, a topping L30 and the headphones of choice that day.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Smart. Nice solution. :)

Do you think the cooling of the amplifiers works well? Cooling when it comes to placing amplifiers in cabinets is something I am thinking about right now .

Works well, there is always air going to seep in and the fan on the back cabinet draws the hot air out. The only downside is that the noise from the amplifier fan pockets out from that hole and rebounds from the back wall to the listening position. There is only so much I can attenuate with the fan noise and its low frequency rumbling. There is a way, but I have to make a chamber for the noise to deaden on its way out but i need another 1 metre at the back which I dont have.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Simply trow everything out and get something as MusicCaste NC-500, and there won't be anything to hide.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Now soon I will get my recaped HK330C (I can show pictures of what it looks like recaped later).

I like to hide Hifi, a lot looks so ugly, I think. Terribly ugly Hifi is in the way of the music experience, but I like the HK 330C look (a matter of taste, of course). It will be my bedroom amplifier. Yummy Yummy!:D

Damn good radio receiver in it.:)

Took a video from the tube

For the technically interested, here a HK330C is measured. When it clips, square waves, distortion measurements.:)

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed..no it was wrong.
Furthermore, I consider that ASR must create a dedicated vintage section on the forum. In any case, I think it would be fun with such a section.:)
Amir might think that such a section would signal old "moss"? Not ASR profile maybe? What do I know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom