• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

'Hidden' living room build, feedback welcome!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
76do310d5bx61.jpg

htzk410d5bx61.jpg

s9jwz00d5bx61.jpg

la4l410d5bx61.jpg

8qekv10d5bx61.jpg

A living room setup i helped my friend with.

Cabinets are made of MDF and were resonating violently.

I basically filled the entire cabinet with acoustic foam to reduce SBIR and cabinet resonances. I also plugged the rear port because the boundary gain provides more than enough bass.

After Dirac live calibration the setup sounds pretty sweet! There is much to be improved in the room itself but i think I minimized the influence of the placement as much as I can.

Feel free to share your feedback and what would you have done differently!

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why not have the speaker cables exit out the back (or bottom) of the cabinet? Those dangling snakes in front would drive me absolutely insane. :p

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not have the speaker cables exit out the back of the cabinet? Those dangling snakes in front would drive me absolutely insane. :p

I didn't want to drill the cabinets till they're 'set' on this. I think I will fill the cabinet with mineral wool instead as I feel the foam is not doing enough.

Twelvetone

Nice!

Every time somebody posts a picture here of their listening room, I look around my studio with its pyramids of partially disasembelled gear, obsolete test equipment, and solder-encrusted carpet, and feel like total trailer trash.

Of course, it's always possible that I simply am total trailer trash...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks pretty sweet! Like the cabinet style quite a bit!

For me though (or rather my wife), priority would be in hiding all the electronics and especially the cables, speakers not so much.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
add some decorative screen material to each cabinet that will hide the speakers and look like it is made that way

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'd do what wes says but once your happy with the speakers position and drilled the hole in the back and connected them id then inject expandable foam to fill that cabinet before hiding it all with a decorative screen material .

But I'm trailer trash too and am famous for doing stupid things ha ha

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
or... glue some blocks at all edges to reinforce; then dampen the interior parts of the panels

I kinda like the spray foam idea!

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I basically filled the entire cabinet with acoustic foam to reduce SBIR and cabinet resonances. I also plugged the rear port because the boundary gain provides more than enough bass.
I didn't want to drill the cabinets till they're 'set' on this. I think I will fill the cabinet with mineral wool instead as I feel the foam is not doing enough.

You're gonna need to add some mass, as the foam and rockwool will only stop the higher frequency stuff and bass is surely the main issue.

Dynamat would be my first thing to try.

You might also try Sorbothane bumpers underneath the speakers. Bear in mind: each sorbothane bumper has a weight range rating. Too much or too little weight and they will not be effective. So, match the ratings on the bumpers to the actual mass of the speakers.

Here's an example: there are many varieties and sizes. https://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-skid-Adhesive-Durometer/dp/B0042U6ZDU

A third thing to do would be relieve the JBLs from bass duty entirely. Add one or two mini subs to handle everything below 80hz or 100hz. Low profile subs like this don't give much extension or output but should handle a single octave like 40-80hz competently enough especially with room correction.

Top Bottom