• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiBy R6 Pro Portable Music Player Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm next time when you get one of these devices can you test them as a transport, aka connected to a portable like the e1da or the topping nx4?
It would be very difficult to measure them that way as my analyzer can't control them. I can only run one static test at a time and have to load up the files into it.

headwhacker

Forum Donor
@amirm next time when you get one of these devices can you test them as a transport, aka connected to a portable like the e1da or the topping nx4?

Considering the poor performance, it'd be interesting to see if they can be at least used to store the music and output to the dac.

I think especially the e1da considering how pint sized it is.

Also, a firmware update is interesting on this device because hiby just added global equalizer, and many people like the mseb equalizer.
It's actually be interesting to see those settings tested as they at literally things like "warm" or whatever (sliders).

Just a thought
Why would you wait for @amirm to do that? It should be like measuring the e1da dac again.

tential

Why would you wait for @amirm to do that? It should be like measuring the e1da dac again.
OH.... What we think should happen is now the basis for scientific testing? OK...

This dap, designed to play music, SHOULD do that job well, but doesn't. Why should I assume it will also interact with an external dac? Or assume anything?
I've asked amir to test and it doesn't seem possible, so I will HOPE, but I have no way of knowing. None.

So one day I'll use a hiby as a transport and hope I'll get the best performance out of the dac and that it doesn't act like a NX3s or something, but I will NEVER ASSUME that because that would be not be based on any fact.
Ill also hope the hiby system wide mseb works and doesn't erode music quality, but unless someone convinces amir to update the firmware, we may not even know there are new things we may want to see tested. Like I didn't know mseb was a firmware update so ya, that would have given him a chance to test some filters but he never gave it a chance.

Assumptions are useful mental shortcuts that can SOMETIMES make you miss hidden pieces of information, but in general the more you make the less you need to think about life and the more you can "enjoy" things.

tential

This has been returned to its owner.
I see this in the spot below where a user commented about Hiby mseb, no replies.
I think this audio effect is helpful for us to learn to describe the certain sound signature. It can be beneficial for discussion. View attachment 34836

They implemented this option system wide. I'm sure someone will send you a future hiby device so hopefully you get one and remember this and we can maybe get your testing or subjective thoughts.

tential

I’m happy with sending it back in further testing.:)
I'm happy with it too!

I'd be sad for you though. You don't miss the device? Even if the tests aren't amazing, it's a decent portable compared to the crowd.

TuneInSoul

I see this in the spot below where a user commented about Hiby mseb, no replies.

They implemented this option system wide. I'm sure someone will send you a future hiby device so hopefully you get one and remember this and we can maybe get your testing or subjective thoughts.
I updated Hiby music app, now android app has MSEB too. I posted a thread about MSEB when I found it in ios app.
MSEB is interesting, and I find hard to describe some options in English.

Last edited:

TuneInSoul

I am going to post an another thread about it.

Jack richer

The hiby r6 and hiby r6 pro are 2 different devices. Since you tested the pro, best to reference it in the review so people don't get confused. Especially since you quoted the price of the unit you didn't test.
The r6 pro is $550 in aluminum, $700(launched at $800) in stainless steel on Amazon, and is $800"in lilac purple, from the last time I looked.

Just a heads up so there is less confusion.

Wish we had seen the tests for the balanced output more although this still is bad testing....

As that other user said... They were literally designed for this... What the hell.... You're better off just attaching the E1DA (because your phone won't output bit perfect to all applications like this device will) so you actually get good performance...
Edit: @amirm how does the E1DA do when you test it connected to a phone or this device? Since really it seems the E1DA as dac/amp and another device as transport seems to be our best bet.

Looks like it needs some fixing

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So to the R6 Pro owners, does it still sound like shiet?

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Drakonas

I would actually like to see this revisited. I had one of the pre-ordered stainless steel chassis R6 Pro models (first revisions) that reportedly (and I can confirm) had a horrible noise and distortion for sensitive IEM's, and mine even had it on the unbalanced headphone output. This was actually confirmed by HiBy, and they were accepting them for repairs/replacements. I've sent it in to my seller to have it repaired/replaced, and normally the seller simply replaces the item if it is too much trouble to repair, so hopefully I'll get one of the new stock with a newer revision that has the problem resolved. If I do get a new model back, I would be happy to send it to @amirm for review. Because there was noticeable improvement with the revised model vs the original model. They may look the same, but something changed.

I should actually mention two things for the review. One is that they had two originally manufactured versions of the stainless steel $800 model. One for the Chinese market, and one for the International market. The Chinese exclusive one was also resold on eBay a lot so some people made the mistake of buying it. The Chinese one did not ship with the Play Store, so it had to be sideloaded. The international version ships with the Play Store. Secondly, I believe the international version shipped with English by default, as I don't recall having issues with Chinese when setting it up initially.

Anyway, as restated here, they later dropped the price of the stainless steel model to $700 (possibly when they revised it?) and then made a new model with an aluminum alloy chassis for $550. From what I understand, both versions received fixes for the early revision audio concerns, but I actually cannot confirm this so I am curious.

EDIT: And yes, before you ask, I've waited nearly two years to ship it to the seller. It's still under warranty. I'm really lazy. hahaha

Rockfella

Forum Donor
It also explains why smartphone manufacturing is one of the biggest industries now, or why so many other industries die because of it.
True and I hate this fact.

Top Bottom