• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hiby R5 Help?

steelgtr

Hello

My first real DAP was a Pioneer XDP-30R which I love but the weak wifi and non-android OS had me looking elsewhere, I picked up a nice Hiby R5 (non sabre) and I love the features but the sound is a little too laid back compared to my Pio. I’d like to stick with Hiby around the same price point or maybe a little more and curious if the R5 sabre is less veiled or maybe move up to the R6?

Here are the Pio specs if it helps:

thx

bob

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
People around here don’t generally respond to reports of “veiled” or “laid back”. They have no meaning. The R5 has 6x the power of the Pioneer so I don’t get “laid back”. You are probably hearing (if anything) frequency response variations caused by the output impedance of amp interacting with the impedance of your headphones. You have a built in EQ. Use it.

Destination: Moon

I had the same exact experience. The R5 line including the Sabre version is based on the AKM chips, if I'm remembering right. All the other Saber models are dual ESS. It's subtle but I liked the R3 Saber better than the 5. It seemed crisper with a better soundstage feeding my living room system

rwortman

Forum Donor
I don’t know what crisper means to audio. I do know that, unless you are talking about speakers or other transducers, sound staging is defined by the phase and amplitude response. No DAC chip that is even somewhat competently implemented is going to screw up either one enough to effect the soundstage.

OP
S

steelgtr

People around here don’t generally respond to reports of “veiled” or “laid back”. They have no meaning. The R5 has 6x the power of the Pioneer so I don’t get “laid back”. You are probably hearing (if anything) frequency response variations caused by the output impedance of amp interacting with the impedance of your headphones. You have a built in EQ. Use it.
Veiled means lack of detail, Too "warm" The Pio is significantly louder into the same amp, both being set to LO and max volume.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Try R3Pro (dual CS43131) if you can find it. The BT range is rather limited and could be problematic, rest is quite OK.
Read couple of reviews before (regarding functionality and other stuff).

OP
S

steelgtr

Try R3Pro (dual CS43131) if you can find it. The BT range is rather limited and could be problematic, rest is quite OK.
Read couple of reviews before (regarding functionality and other stuff).
Thanks, How does the R3 Pro differ from the R3 or the R3 Saber?

thx

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thanks, How does the R3 Pro differ from the R3 or the R3 Saber?

thx
With DAC that I put in bracket. R3 is mesured and did bad I don't know about Saber version. Anyway for 200$ there is no better DAP mesured so far (to my better knowledge).

Last edited:
OP
S

steelgtr

I had the same exact experience. The R5 line including the Sabre version is based on the AKM chips, if I'm remembering right. All the other Saber models are dual ESS. It's subtle but I liked the R3 Saber better than the 5. It seemed crisper with a better soundstage feeding my living room system
Any of the R6's better than the R3's?

rwortman

Forum Donor
Veiled means lack of detail, Too "warm" The Pio is significantly louder into the same amp, both being set to LO and max volume.
Lack of detail is just as vague. It is likely that have low distortion. ”Lack of detail” is probably a slight dip in frequency response in the 2k to 5k region. Probably the output impedance of the amp interacting with the load of the headphone. Likely nothing to do with the DAC.

I don’t know what crisper means to audio. I do know that, unless you are talking about speakers or other transducers, sound staging is defined by the phase and amplitude response. No DAC chip that is even somewhat competently implemented is going to screw up either one enough to effect the soundstage.

I did a bunch of listening to both of them. I'm not a digital device so I can't tell you how they were different with anything other than adjectives. That's all I got. You can try them and see if they sound different

OP
S

steelgtr

I never bought a 6....I bought the 3S and was so impressed, I bought the 5S. After comparing both, I returned the 5
Sory, Which 3 did you buy, the Sabre? What type music do you like? I'm mainly into female vocal, smooth jazz and it looks like the Sabre is more analytical for electronic, etc maybe?.

bob

Sory, Which 3 did you buy, the Sabre? What type music do you like? I'm mainly into female vocal, smooth jazz and it looks like the Sabre is more analytical for electronic, etc maybe?.

bob

I like and listen to all kinds of music. From progressive jazz like the Crusaders to Classical to Pop like Phil Collins, Machine Gun Kelly, Steely Dan, etc

The R3 Saber is great make sure to update the firmware

Make

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
If you don't like your r5, consider selling it to me. I am using the the R3Pro and I simply don't like the headphone jacks being on top. I know the screen can rotate but still.

OP
S

steelgtr

If you don't like your r5, consider selling it to me. I am using the the R3Pro and I simply don't like the headphone jacks being on top. I know the screen can rotate but still.
I shall! ty

Top Bottom