• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd join. Probably will not be posting that much due to being a bit too busy and a second reason listed below.
Family, hobbies, website, forum, lots of e-mails, daily job etc. limit the time I can spend.
But maybe I have it wrong and might post a bit more than I think I will.

I consider myself in the objective camp but not 'hardcore'.
There should always be room for discussion and always want to learn.
Not everyone speaks the same audio-language, mine is based on experience with electronics and not based on emotions or music.

A reason I may not post that much also finds its origin in the fact that I feel my thoughts are generally already written down in this forum and find myself in general agreement with regulars like: Blumlein, Sal, Ray Dunzl, Wombat and DonH56 and don't feel the need to only confirm what they already said.

Mostly interested in 'perception' and how that relates (or does not relate) to measurements.
Headphone guy these days mostly, but spent more years with (all DIY) electrostatic speakers, amps and dynamic speakers.
Like to measure things but am aware of its limits and how (sets of) measurements may not tell the whole story, certainly when it comes to acoustics.

Here to observe, read, learn and sometimes maybe ask questions or even react.

Some people may 'know' me from my time with RockGrotto (long time ago), Changstar (before SBAF days), DIYAH or reactions to Archimago's blog.

Frans (Solderdude)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Me too.
thumb.gif

@solderdude ,Have your say. We all have our own slant to contribute.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Welcome!

Perception, and tying it to measurements, has long been something I wish I knew better. There are some really great threads here, with lots of info and references, but somehow at the end of the day I never seem to take the time to follow up (too tired, too busy, maybe just not interested enough to tackle what appears to be a major topic of interest whilst trying to keep up with my own field, which moves fast enough to keep me occupied).

As an engineer and musician I find it fascinating to observe both the differences and similarities between them. The Venn diagram is very fuzzy... :)

And anyone who thinks engineers aren't emotional hasn't been in a design review or attended a conference with paper defenses going on...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd join. Probably will not be posting that much due to being a bit too busy and a second reason listed below.
Family, hobbies, website, forum, lots of e-mails, daily job etc. limit the time I can spend.
But maybe I have it wrong and might post a bit more than I think I will.

I consider myself in the objective camp but not 'hardcore'.
There should always be room for discussion and always want to learn.
Not everyone speaks the same audio-language, mine is based on experience with electronics and not based on emotions or music.

A reason I may not post that much also finds its origin in the fact that I feel my thoughts are generally already written down in this forum and find myself in general agreement with regulars like: Blumlein, Sal, Ray Dunzl, Wombat and DonH56 and don't feel the need to only confirm what they already said.

Mostly interested in 'perception' and how that relates (or does not relate) to measurements.
Headphone guy these days mostly, but spent more years with (all DIY) electrostatic speakers, amps and dynamic speakers.
Like to measure things but am aware of its limits and how (sets of) measurements may not tell the whole story, certainly when it comes to acoustics.

Here to observe, read, learn and sometimes maybe ask questions or even react.

Some people may 'know' me from my time with RockGrotto (long time ago), Changstar (before SBAF days), DIYAH or reactions to Archimago's blog.

Frans (Solderdude)
Hi and welcome, you might feel there’s a few that echo your sentiments here but it helps greatly to have views expressed in as many diffrent voices as possible even if they ultimately are a echo or may seem like one.

You will not doubt have a good deal to contribute and we all will be the richer for you doing so.

Top Bottom