• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HI-RES, 8K & MAGIC

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
1920x1080 is fine for me. I don't really care much about giant TV screens, watching live sport, or having way too many superfluous pixels.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
iPads have 5K resolution...some. MacPros look very nice @ 5K.
I'm ready for 8K. It's like music playing from a hi-end turntable perfectly calibrated with its tonearm and cartridge.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Yes I think any amount of resolution regardless if your eye can see it or not is worth while. I also think there will come a point where it will become pointless . That kind of sounds funny but I guess what I'm saying is that the advancement of technology is great but not sure of the pay off in the end.

It's kinda of like we here all want the best dacs we can get with the best measurements but I'm not sure we will really hear a true difference between the ones we have now and maybe the ones that cone out years from now.

I think you get what I'm saying.

In the end I am all for what ever comes our way.

Cheers

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Certainly hard to argue that if the industry wants to give it to us, we should refuse it. :) UHD/4K has gotten to that point where there is no premium to speak of for it. To the extent 8K becomes the same, sure, I will take it. :)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It's like are we using S-VHS VCR tape decks to play 'Star Wars' movies, or are we spinning them in 4K Blu-ray players, and view them on 4K UHD HDR10/Dolby Vision OLED TVs, instead of cathode ray tube black & white round TVs.

Get two phones, or two tablets, one with a resolution of 720p and the other with a resolution of 6K. See if you can see the obvious.

What we do and use might fulfill our happiness just fine; 8K is an upscale technology in picture happiness. Android phones and iPhones with a 6.5" diagonal screen are great tools for calling and road indicators with GPS and surfing the world wide web news on the go and taking and sharing pictures quickly. For 'Star Wars' flicks I prefer watching on a 4K 65" display, it makes me just that little happier.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Get two phones, or two tablets, one with a resolution of 720p and the other with a resolution of 6K. See if you can see the obvious.
A more relevant test is to put on a 1080p resolution test pattern on a thumbdrive and plug that into your TV. Then switch to that input and display it. Stand close to the TV and then take steps back until you can't resolve 1080p. If you sit farther than that, then you have no hope of seeing any resolution beyond that. Ditto for 4K/UHD resolution.

Make sure the pattern is in .png format and not .jpeg.

NorthSky

Major Contributor

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Tip

Marketing. I'd rather have lossless 1080P.

"Upsampling" that actually improves picture quality usually is more than just interpolating extra pixels. You can add all sorts of thing like temporal smoothing and sharpening to clean up compression artifacts and make the result look closer to the display's resolution. It's usually not any better than watching it on a screen of the native resolution though. Upsampling is pretty much just something you do to make old content fit a new screen better.

4K is already excessive unless you you sit super close to an absolutely giant screen so I'm unsure about how upsampling 4K to 8K could improve things unless something was already broken to begin with.

I have fairly intensive AviSynth script I use to upsample SD content to 1080P that works quite well, but I dread having to get even a 4K TV because of the extra processing power it will require.

Agreed.

ferongr

Forum Donor
iPads have 5K resolution...some. MacPros look very nice @ 5K.
I'm ready for 8K. It's like music playing from a hi-end turntable perfectly calibrated with its tonearm and cartridge.

This doesn't read like a particularly glowing endorsement, taking in account the limitations and mediocre performance of vinyl playback systems.

Top Bottom