• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi from Sweden

LarsF

Hi
Living in the middle of Sweden and just got a listening room almost ready for the first time in 20 years. I invested in a new setup
first and most important. the speakers
Guru Junior, a small Swedish manufacturer create a small speaker that is pure magic for such a small speaker.
The amplifier I found in Norway, it got the right number of input's and a DAC.
The turntable is a Thorens TD 209, but I change the cartridge right away to a AT-150SA that I found a decent price.
Phono stage is an old Vincent riaa stage. This is the next to be updated. ( suggestion much appreciated )
For the digital music I use a Raspberry PI with Volumio connected direct with use to the amplifier.
Cd player is an Sony Blueray player. But I don't have som many cd's so I have not test it yet.
Cables I make myself. I can't hear the difference, so why should i spend money on them.
That the technical part, my music taste is voices, I do like unusual voices, but I do appreciate also instrumental music of all kind.
What I listen a lot to right now is Melanie De Biasio, and Swedish singer Freddie Wadling, the past away way to early (RIP), I got goosebumps when I listen to Tubular bells by Mike Oldfield.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome to the forum Lars. I heard of Guru speakers many years ago due to it being designed by the same guy who used to be on the Swedish LTS (Ingvar Öhman). Is the company still around? I thought he stopped making new speakers.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello Lars.:)
Nice cartridge that Audio Technica.

OP
LarsF

LarsF

Welcome to the forum Lars. I heard of Guru speakers many years ago due to it being designed by the same guy who used to be on the Swedish LTS (Ingvar Öhman). Is the company still around? I thought he stopped making new speakers.
Thank you. I think they are still in business, but i believe they have or had production problems but I'm not sure. I was lucky to find mine at a dealer hos sold them as a demo but they have never been unpacked. I know anyway that Ingvar still making speakers. My friend waiting for deliverance from Ingvar.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Hi Lars, welcome to ASR.

I had a pleasant journey reading about Swedish speakers and Stig Carlsson while researching about speakers that are made to be pushed against the wall.

It was tough finding a pair of the Larsens here in the US, especially second hand, but I found them and they perform wonderfully in a very difficult room.

OP
LarsF

LarsF

Hi Lars, welcome to ASR.

I had a pleasant journey reading about Swedish speakers and Stig Carlsson while researching about speakers that are made to be pushed against the wall.

It was tough finding a pair of the Larsens here in the US, especially second hand, but I found them and they perform wonderfully in a very difficult room.
Than you Webninja. Carlsson is very famous for hifi nerds in Sweden, but I have never heard them properly i'm sorry to say. And the same is for Larsens speakers. But I now that Larsen is about to release an new model soon. But it's a bit outside my budget.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Once I find the time, I'd like to try to measure my Larsens using REW. Subjectively, these are the only speakers in my room that didn't sound terrible. Room is all hard surfaces, very narrow and very tall and open. I tried a pair of Focal choir bookshelves, Definitive Tech towers and my JBL 305s. What the Larsens do well is have a very big sweet spot. Sitting, standing, more on the left or right, sounds pretty good. Voice is clear and bass is not over powering.

I was tempted to figure out a way to get the Larsen 4s or 6s from Sweden as they are relatively inexpensive used, but the shipping logistics proved too complex.

OP
LarsF

LarsF

Have a bit of a problematic room too, i'm negotiating with my my wife about some acoustic treatment :)
I guess freight costs for a pair of speakers is quite high.
Teenage Engineering is making a Carlsson clone that interesting to listen to.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Have a bit of a problematic room too, i'm negotiating with my my wife about some acoustic treatment :)
I guess freight costs for a pair of speakers is quite high.
Teenage Engineering is making a Carlsson clone that interesting to listen to.

Yes, I really was happy to see that someone was keeping these odd omni speakers around. Teenage Engineering is a cool company too, lots of interesting products.

Good luck on the acoustic treatments, I never got that past my SO.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Have a bit of a problematic room too, i'm negotiating with my my wife about some acoustic treatment
Good luck, I lost my case and are limited to room correction only. My listening room is the living room. But my wife approved the speaker upgrade at least. Now I'm trying to get that 72" 4K TV for the really good cinema feeling, we are in the pre-negotiation stage there. Low WAF on a 72" TV.
Welcome, another swede here.

OP
LarsF

LarsF

Low WAF on all technical stuff, hope you have some more luck on the TV. Thanks

OP
LarsF

LarsF

Have build up a small listening and work corner in the house. I think it sound real good for that kind of money spent.
Speakers: Q Acoustics 2020i
Amplifier: Aiyima A07
DAC: Topping DX3 Pro
IMG_0217.jpg

In the glas there is/was Bowmore 12 years :)

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Cheers!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the glas there is/was Bowmore 12 years :)
Funnily I also drink that tonight, last night of this horrible year, listening to some smooth piano jazz and surfing the ASR at my desktop setup. :)

Top Bottom