• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi from Germany

KSTR

Major Contributor
Hi,

By accident I stumbled accross this excellent forum during a web search on my latest audio/measurement toy, a RME Adi-2 Pro FS DAC. I'm quite puzzled that I had not discovered it any earlier. Spent the last weeks reading many threads and all I can say is wow! Amir, we owe you one ;-)

I was born in the 60ies and have been an electronics/audio geek all my life since childhood which later lead to formal education in electronic engineering and computer science and starting a career in these fields. Over time I transitioned from digital hardware and software development to pure classic analog circuit design, measurement gear, smps design, etc. The last 10 years or so I actually worked in the audio business for a living, mostly designing active monitor speakers with all the many tasks involved to get from inital idea to matured product. I'm also a semi-professional musician and do design/mod guitar and bass amplifiers (mostly tube stuff).

Over the years I managed to collect a lot of tools and toys so that I now have my own full-featured private electronic engineering lab. Jewels in this collection are my trusty AP SYS2-2322 and a Wandel&Golterman Spectrum/Network Analyzer.

Given all this, I think it does not surprise I consider myself being in the objectivist camp but I try to be as open-minded as I can. Still my fundamental point of view is anything we are able to hear in a controlled(!) experiment can also be measured ('in situ' required) if you just work hard enough on the concept and execution of proper measurements. Therefore, a long term project of mine is to refine the concepts for these measurements of minute low-level details by using time-domain averaging and subtractive techniques, together with elaborate pre- and postprocessing of the data, of course excellent hardware is needed (a reason for my choice of that premium-grade RME audio interface). Not all phenomena are well-suited for this approach but many are.
For example (and a tough one at that), if "cable directionality" is real (asserted by controlled blind test) it must be possible to measure it (in situ, as mentioned, to avoid uncontrolled variables) by isolating and analyzing the difference...

So much as of now,
Klaus

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Well come.

* If we can measure cable directionality what would it reveal music sound listening wise?
The direction that measures the best is the direction that I would take, regardless of my ability to hear music sound diffentiations, unless the music recording itself was recorded in the opposite direction of that cable...to stay in phase and in sync with each music recording from each music engineer @ the controls.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome Klaus. Sounds like you'll fit right in here.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome, Klaus! May I ask which monitors you have been involved in developing? (unless you want to keep a low public profile here, of course)

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Welcome Klaus.

If you have some German-made audio gear, I would love to see them measured. ;)

Top Bottom