• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi-Fi System, How Much?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28849
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 28849

With many Reviews touting Budget systems with great sound, I have to object. At Retail prices, IMO a minimum of $15,000 USD would need to be spent in order to achieve Hi-Fi sound, not including Headphone systems in discussion. There are many factors in achieving Hi-Fi sound, I'm just talking money spent on equipment.

What do you think?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Your close. A lot has to do with the volume Cubic Feet of the room space you want to fill with music/sound. Then a big factor of considerable more to achieve Reference level SPL in the Low Frequency and Ultra low frequency. I spent over $8k on Subs alone. Trying to track all the bits, cable, DACs, amps, it gets boggling.

Other factors to consider. Is this a two channel music set up only or do you want to go for a surround sound movie as well. I have 15 separate speakers, 2 very large subs, 1 AVR and 2 separate multichannel amps. For a 9.2.6. System it gets costly fast. But you can bite off small bits at a time with expansion.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can’t explain it, then why did you start a discussion on a forum that has only words for communication?

So let me ask this: Would equipment included the Stereophile A or B Recommended Components list qualify as “Hi-Fi”?

Rick “wondering who gets to define the hi-fi canon” Denney

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With many Reviews touting Budget systems with great sound, I have to object. At Retail prices, IMO a minimum of $15,000 USD would need to be spent in order to achieve Hi-Fi sound, not including Headphone systems in discussion. There are many factors in achieving Hi-Fi sound, I'm just talking money spent on equipment.

What do you think?
Come on. You've stated previously you're lonely, depressed, bored. This isn't a good way to get attention my friend.

OP
D

Deleted member 28849

Your close. A lot has to do with the volume Cubic Feet of the room space you want to fill with music/sound. Then a big factor of considerable more to achieve Reference level SPL in the Low Frequency and Ultra low frequency. I spent over $8k on Subs alone. Trying to track all the bits, cable, DACs, amps, it gets boggling.

Other factors to consider. Is this a two channel music set up only or do you want to go for a surround sound movie as well. I have 15 separate speakers, 2 very large subs, 1 AVR and 2 separate multichannel amps. For a 9.2.6. System it gets costly fast. But you can bite off small bits at a time with expansion.

Just 2-channel. At the Dealer's in a well constructed room 2 speakers can do the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 28849

Some people like to get "likes". You seem to prefer "ignores". Bye!

I get the impression Members like to jump on Audiophiles here. So I'm taking the snobbish audiophile approach. Sorry you don't like it, good bye.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A demonstrably transparent system (minus speakers) could be assembled for $3k or less and then you simply have to find the speakers that work best for you. You could put together something great for a smallish room for $5k or less retail (less if preowned or with discounts). My endgame system would cost about 65% of what you propose even if I had to do it from scratch. Of course I could spend more to get better looks or convenience features that don’t affect sound.

deprogrammed

YAMAHA HS8 700.00
LOXJIE D30 182.00
PC Had for other reasons
JRiver 60
UmiK-1 75
Sooo 1017
Plus cables..call it 1117

OP
D

Deleted member 28849

If you can’t explain it, then why did you start a discussion on a forum that has only words for communication?

So let me ask this: Would equipment included the Stereophile A or B Recommended Components list qualify as “Hi-Fi”?

Rick “wondering who gets to define the hi-fi canon” Denney

I'm defining Hi-Fi as a Level of accurate 'live like' sound, not the equipment. If you think you can get that sound using budget equipment go for it, I don't believe budget equipment will get you there. You would need to spend money on an expensive piece of equipment somewhere in the audio chain to achieve Hi-fidelity sound.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

What do you think?
Well crap. My 2 channel rig (2.3 to be precise) only has about $8500 in it. Guess I'm stuck with a crappy midfi system as you call it. :facepalm:

OP
D

Deleted member 28849

A demonstrably transparent system (minus speakers) could be assembled for $3k or less and then you simply have to find the speakers that work best for you. You could put together something great for a smallish room for $5k or less retail (less if preowned or with discounts). My endgame system would cost about 65% of what you propose even if I had to do it from scratch. Of course I could spend more to get better looks or convenience features that don’t affect sound.

:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom